Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 10-01-2008, 07:29 AM   #15
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Txturbo, why is it that you DO NOT want to hold a steady speed for a long period of time?

THX
Rings won't seat. Varying the speed during break-in assures the rings seat correctly. My ex-father-in-law had the motor in his 69 Ford pickup rebuilt once. Didn't need it cause he drives like an old lady, but he wanted to go through everything on the truck. After the rebuilt motor was put back in he still drove it the way he always had driven it before. Rings never seated and it was using oil at 3000 miles. He finally had to pay the mechanic to pull the motor back out, rehone the cylinders and keep it for a couple of weeks to break it in for him. He just couldn't drive it hard enough to seat the rings. Pretty pathetic.
Anyway, nowadays the motors are run for 24 hours on a break-in dyno before they are even installed in the vehicle. But you still should take it easy the first 500 miles.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:39 AM   #16
o2camaross

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 04 silvy
drive it like i stole it basically. no steady speed, at lest in the same gear. romping on it to about 5800rpm and then engine breaking it to idle. repeating for about fifty miles then driving like normal, normal for me is basically driving like i stole it anyway.
o2camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:41 AM   #17
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
yes, the owner's manual should have a suggested break in period. Personally I go pretty easy for the first 1,000 miles.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #18
Scooter

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txturbo View Post
Rings won't seat. Varying the speed during break-in assures the rings seat correctly. My ex-father-in-law had the motor in his 69 Ford pickup rebuilt once. Didn't need it cause he drives like an old lady, but he wanted to go through everything on the truck. After the rebuilt motor was put back in he still drove it the way he always had driven it before. Rings never seated and it was using oil at 3000 miles. He finally had to pay the mechanic to pull the motor back out, rehone the cylinders and keep it for a couple of weeks to break it in for him. He just couldn't drive it hard enough to seat the rings. Pretty pathetic.
Anyway, nowadays the motors are run for 24 hours on a break-in dyno before they are even installed in the vehicle. But you still should take it easy the first 500 miles.
Thank you for explaining that, very helpful, I do not know very much about engines, well not yet.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:05 AM   #19
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Break in period is one of the things I hate the most about buying a new car. I live in a small town where almost all driving is done at 35 mph, even on the country roads you can only go 45 due to the sharp curves so breaking in an engine is quite hard to do here :(
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:28 AM   #20
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Check out this site about how to break in engines. I plan to follow this method.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #21
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Why are there so many different theorys on breaking in the car? It's in the owner's manual, why wouldn't that be your best resource? Think about it, they designed and built the engine wouldn't they know what would be best???

Some of these sites you see on how to break in an engine are for rebuilt engines, not those that come in new cars.

Just do what the Manual says and you will be fine, it is as simple as that.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:51 AM   #22
SimC33

Drives: 2001 Blk/Blk M6 Camaro SS #899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Why are there so many different theorys on breaking in the car? It's in the owner's manual, why wouldn't that be your best resource? Think about it, they designed and built the engine wouldn't they know what would be best???

Some of these sites you see on how to break in an engine are for rebuilt engines, not those that come in new cars.

Just do what the Manual says and you will be fine, it is as simple as that.

Theres nothing wrong with going with what the owner's manual says to do. Thats perfectly fine. But to be honest, I bought a BMW 135i about 3 months ago and this same topic came out about break in periods. Well the owner's manual was a suggestion but more and more people agreed that they wouldn't like to do it this way. The owner's manual is just a "recommended" break in for the car. Those who have posted their opinions on what they think is the best way can come from many other sources. In theory, in a new engine there is this "unlocked" power in it. Meaning someone may get more hp out of their engine if they have a different break in period. Which IMO is true. I'll see if I can find the thread on the 135i site I use, but alot people came out with different numbers in their engines after break in. It may or may not have been due to their style of break in, but who knows?
SimC33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #23
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimC33 View Post
Theres nothing wrong with going with what the owner's manual says to do. Thats perfectly fine. But to be honest, I bought a BMW 135i about 3 months ago and this same topic came out about break in periods. Well the owner's manual was a suggestion but more and more people agreed that they wouldn't like to do it this way. The owner's manual is just a "recommended" break in for the car. Those who have posted their opinions on what they think is the best way can come from many other sources. In theory, in a new engine there is this "unlocked" power in it. Meaning someone may get more hp out of their engine if they have a different break in period. Which IMO is true. I'll see if I can find the thread on the 135i site I use, but alot people came out with different numbers in their engines after break in. It may or may not have been due to their style of break in, but who knows?
There is strong evidence that suggests that wear causes an engine to lose power. There is also strong evidence that different break-in techniques may prevent said wear. Therefore, we can conclude that a specific type of break-in may improve the life of an engine. The one that I posted has been tested, showing better piston ring seals. That reduces pressure and improves piston life.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:06 AM   #24
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimC33 View Post
You cannot say the differences in power were because of how the cars were broken in, there are just too many variables, there are manufactureing tolerances, and you never know if your engine was on the "LOOSE" side or "TIGHT" side or perfect, anyhow if you dyno it for rear wheel HP then any differences in engine, transmission etc will be reflected in those figures. I have bought many new cars and always followed the manual, and have never had an engine related failure...

The engine computers are very smart and record various aspects of how a car is driven, say you got a bad engine and it messed up and you take it back to the dealership? would they be more likely to fix it under warrenty if

A. you followed the recommended break in.
or
B. Beat the hell out of it?
Old 10-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #25
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
There is strong evidence that suggests that wear causes an engine to lose power. There is also strong evidence that different break-in techniques may prevent said wear. Therefore, we can conclude that a specific type of break-in may improve the life of an engine. The one that I posted has been tested, showing better piston ring seals. That reduces pressure and improves piston life.
tested and proven by whom?
Old 10-01-2008, 11:12 AM   #26
SimC33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
You cannot say the differences in power were because of how the cars were broken in, there are just too many variables, there are manufactureing tolerances, and you never know if your engine was on the "LOOSE" side or "TIGHT" side or perfect, anyhow if you dyno it for rear wheel HP then any differences in engine, transmission etc will be reflected in those figures. I have bought many new cars and always followed the manual, and have never had an engine related failure...

The engine computers are very smart and record various aspects of how a car is driven, say you got a bad engine and it messed up and you take it back to the dealership? would they be more likely to fix it under warrenty if

A. you followed the recommended break in.
or
B. Beat the hell out of it?

I totally agree with you, there are TOO many variables in this topic...Which makes this a VERY controversial topic...as I said at the end of my post, "who knows?"
Old 10-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #27
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
check out the link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
there was a previous thread with this question and the link above is VERY informative IMO

I will abide mostly by those rules.
In my Break-in period(500 or so mi), i will:
use regular non-synth oil, vary rpm revs(constantly stopping and going), avoid constant speeds, change the oil a couple of times(theres no such thing as changing the oil too much IMO), and maybe even throw a magnet inside the oil filter to attract any loose metal debris that may harm the engine.
After break in:
Switch back to Synthetic oil, and enjoy a longer engine life due to the importance i placed in those crucial first 100+ miles

Hope ya'll a warm, welcoming, break-in period as well!

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:20 PM   #28
SimC33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalometalik View Post
and maybe even throw a magnet inside the oil filter to attract any loose metal debris that may harm the engine.

I've never heard of this, does that really work?

Last edited by SimC33; 10-01-2008 at 12:48 PM.