Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-07-2014, 04:09 AM   #743
AEP11
Account Suspended

Drives: Secret
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I have a 2012 CTS V Coupe with a 6-speed manual. Pure stock it made 458 rwhp. Just a tune netted 491 rwhp. An AIRAID CAI made it put down 516 rwhp. A ported LSA TB made 525 rwhp. And my latest mods (LS9 cam and springs, Kooks headers, and a 9.55 lower pulley) made 635 rwhp. That's about 750 hp + at the flywheel. The car still idles @ 750 rpm, and with stock mufflers it is totally quiet. Sitting next to me at a stop light you would not even look over at this old Grampa. I do not street race, however I enjoy the power from time to time. Last time out on M&H 275-40-17 drag radials it went 11.18 @ 127 (126.90 actually) mph in the heat with the DA of over 1800'. So I'm pretty close to the specs of the Hellcat (hp, and 12.5 lbs of boost) with just the 1.9 blower compared to their 2.4. So the short answer...no the LSA has not seen it's potential limit. I will be installing some Mickey Thompson DR's on my factory wheels for street use just in case.
A damn stout car you have there!! With minimal mods to boot. Bet it surprises a lot of ppl.
AEP11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:27 AM   #744
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
Quote:
I have a 2012 CTS V Coupe with a 6-speed manual. Pure stock it made 458 rwhp. Just a tune netted 491 rwhp. An AIRAID CAI made it put down 516 rwhp. A ported LSA TB made 525 rwhp. And my latest mods (LS9 cam and springs, Kooks headers, and a 9.55 lower pulley) made 635 rwhp. That's about 750 hp + at the flywheel. The car still idles @ 750 rpm, and with stock mufflers it is totally quiet. Sitting next to me at a stop light you would not even look over at this old Grampa. I do not street race, however I enjoy the power from time to time. Last time out on M&H 275-40-17 drag radials it went 11.18 @ 127 (126.90 actually) mph in the heat with the DA of over 1800'. So I'm pretty close to the specs of the Hellcat (hp, and 12.5 lbs of boost) with just the 1.9 blower compared to their 2.4. So the short answer...no the LSA has not seen it's potential limit. I will be installing some Mickey Thompson DR's on my factory wheels for street use just in case.
You modified your car to get that power and thus do not have a warrantly. The Hellcat comes with that power from the factory.

The LSA is a great engine and I don't think its maxed out by any means, but in order to get a go fast car you have to void your warrantly which effects your trade in value later down the road. I think if the Hellcat was modded it would produce even more and it already has a bigger blower, forged pistons etc.

As much as I'm a Chevy guy I would consider this car. One of the reasons I stayed away from the car was the interior which I did not car for(subjective) But the new interior is pretty fine. It will be interesting to see what the car does when it gets in the hands of some drivers on the strip.
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

www.youtube.com/c/garageking

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:49 AM   #745
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 View Post
The LSA is a great engine and I don't think its maxed out by any means, but in order to get a go fast car you have to void your warrantly which effects your trade in value later down the road.
This point has me considering the Lingenfelter 700 package for the ZL1. Comes with 2years, 24,000 warrenty and (I feel) the name Lingenfelter attached to the work eliminates concerns and value hit when it is later sold. Cost listed on line is $11,245 for 623rwhp, 617rw-ft lb.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:52 AM   #746
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
You modified your car to get that power and thus do not have a warrantly. The Hellcat comes with that power from the factory.

The LSA is a great engine and I don't think its maxed out by any means, but in order to get a go fast car you have to void your warrantly which effects your trade in value later down the road. I think if the Hellcat was modded it would produce even more and it already has a bigger blower, forged pistons etc.

As much as I'm a Chevy guy I would consider this car. One of the reasons I stayed away from the car was the interior which I did not car for(subjective) But the new interior is pretty fine. It will be interesting to see what the car does when it gets in the hands of some drivers on the strip.
Word me too. I wonder how hard it would be to shave 200-300 pounds off this thing without voiding the warranty. If that was possible all you'd need to go get is the 8 speed and some real nice tires and you have a factory warranted mid to high 10 second car that is also a more comfortable cruiser than anything like a GTR. I'm liking it the more I think about it...
Not to mention but Challengers and more rare than Camaros or Mustangs.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #747
trainman

Drives: 2012 CTS V,2000 Firehawk, SRT Ram
Quote:

In my case you are wrong. My dealership is very cool, I just had the entire supercharger fixed on a GM recall (solid coupler replacement) and all my mods were in place. They even extended the supercharger warranty to 120,000 miles. I realize my case is different, as many dealerships would not have done so. In my case though I wanted to have fun with the car, and I am willing to pay for things I break, I have the warranty for all of the electronic gizmo's (Nav, stereo , windows , heated and cooled seats and such).
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #748
HEMI DAVE

Drives: 2016 Z06, 2015 Hellcat Challenger,
http://youtu.be/4msuzJGlsoY
Old 07-07-2014, 09:13 AM   #749
trainman

Drives: 2012 CTS V,2000 Firehawk, SRT Ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
This point has me considering the Lingenfelter 700 package for the ZL1. Comes with 2years, 24,000 warrenty and (I feel) the name Lingenfelter attached to the work eliminates concerns and value hit when it is later sold. Cost listed on line is $11,245 for 623rwhp, 617rw-ft lb.
I hit 635 rwhp for about $4,000 installed. And I still have a 100'000 power train warranty.....although I am currently replacing the flywheel and factory clutch with a McLeod RXT and Aluminum flywheel. I'll see if that makes a difference.
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #750
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI DAVE View Post
I know he's "just the engine guy" but I laughed when they asked about the suspension and brakes and his response was "well it's got nice big breaks you can see through the beautiful new wheels."
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:59 AM   #751
v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
I was thinkning the same thing, as at least with the Lingenfelter kit it is a known name so it shouldn't hurt resale and you are getting good parts.

Quote:
In my case you are wrong. My dealership is very cool, I just had the entire supercharger fixed on a GM recall (solid coupler replacement) and all my mods were in place. They even extended the supercharger warranty to 120,000 miles. I realize my case is different, as many dealerships would not have done so. In my case though I wanted to have fun with the car, and I am willing to pay for things I break, I have the warranty for all of the electronic gizmo's (Nav, stereo , windows , heated and cooled seats and such).
You are one lucky guy, especially sisnce you have gone inside the engine changed your camshaft. Not many dealers would warranty a car with the mods you have. I hope the dealer is not feeding you lipservice. It would be interesting to see if you threw a rod, how co-operative they would be if you needed a new block.

Quote:
I hit 635 rwhp for about $4,000 installed. And I still have a 100'000 power train warranty.....although I am currently replacing the flywheel and factory clutch with a McLeod RXT and Aluminum flywheel. I'll see if that makes a difference.
Once again you are lucky, BUT this dealer has you hostage because no other dealer will warrantly your car so if you go to sell it, you are stuck trading it with these guys (for another GM), or selling privately and trying to convince the buyer you still have warranty. If they are good to you that's great, but if you have a fall out with them you could be up the creek.

Koodos to you for getting warranty on that car.
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500

Old 07-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #752
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI DAVE View Post
He basically repeats what the web page gives regarding suspension. Big front brakes and is tune-able for street, sport or track.

Do you know how this is accomplished? What tires is it running?

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 07-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #753
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
Can't tell him nothing
Old 07-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #754
hotlap

Quote:
It can definitely be done for less money but the workmanship will come into question when the car is sold. A guy was recently asking opinions regarding a 600 rwhp 2013 at a dealer
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...23#post7795923

If you put a piston through the side of your block, you will not have warranty. That is my biggest concern regarding tunes. I can do the mechanical work myself easily.

Ronald Reagan -
Old 07-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #755
v8

+1

I was thinking the same thing
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500

Old 07-07-2014, 09:14 PM   #756
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
I'm not a 1/4 pro or expert, but do you see this car in the 10s BONE stock?

most casual drivers will probably have a hard time doing this

but mineshaft DA and the right launch - yeah this car has the power to go high 10s stock

pull off the mufflers
remove the seats (maybe a few extra lbs of other stuff as well)

and yes it should do it

drag radials
juice
and some weight removal should have it solidly in the 9s
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodge, hellcat, horsepower, srt