Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
Spaceclown

Drives: 2014 1 LT
Exclamation 2014, 1 LT. AC/Heater Controls Unresponsive

My 1 LT, has a strange issue with the AC/Heater controls. Basically they sometimes don't work. Let me explain. I turn on the car and no matter what setting I turn the fan speed to it doesn't come on. The My Link screen doesn't register the fan speed but it will display the speed icon as if I adjusted the speed when I turn the knob and that is always zero. Also the fan AC compressor doesn't turn on either. I have noticed that if I push whatever button is lit for fan direction, ie. floor, feet, etc.. It will start to work properly.

I first noticed this problem when I left my Iphone connected to the USB port on the My Link radio and turned the car off and back on after about 30 minutes. I don't know if it's related or not. It also seems to occur more often when I leave the Radio on or the fan speed on.

Friday I got in the car and not only did it glitch like above but. It didn't display anything on the My Link screen for AC controls and there where no lights on any of the controls. None of the controls worked fan speed, fan direction, temp control, etc. It was like the whole AC/Heater control unit was dead. I drove it to the dealer. They checked fuses, etc. and said I'd have to leave it for them to diagnose the problem.

Of corse all these problems go away if I turn the car off for ten to twenty minutes.

I think it's a software problem in either the My Link system or the main computer.

Besides this problem, the My Link radio works great. Never had any problems with the radio, radio controls, XM, Navigation, OnStar. Even when the AC glitches they work fine.

I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem or has any solutions.

Thanks..
Spaceclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #2
BluSniper

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT
I have had both of those happen with my 2LT. It has always fixed itself after turn the car off and just turning it right back on. It has only happened to me 2-3 times since I bought the car in the middle of March. However I have been driving with the windows down a lot so I just may not use it often.

No solutions other then turning it off and back on for myself. I normally try to check the fan before I drive. Just a quick turn of the knob to make sure it kicks on. I haven't taken it to the dealer as it hasn't happened often and it seems to fix itself when I turn it off. If it become more frequent I know I will definately try to take it into the dealer.

Last edited by BluSniper; 08-04-2014 at 09:16 AM.
BluSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceclown View Post
My 1 LT, has a strange issue with the AC/Heater controls. Basically they sometimes don't work. Let me explain. I turn on the car and no matter what setting I turn the fan speed to it doesn't come on. The My Link screen doesn't register the fan speed but it will display the speed icon as if I adjusted the speed when I turn the knob and that is always zero. Also the fan AC compressor doesn't turn on either. I have noticed that if I push whatever button is lit for fan direction, ie. floor, feet, etc.. It will start to work properly.

I first noticed this problem when I left my Iphone connected to the USB port on the My Link radio and turned the car off and back on after about 30 minutes. I don't know if it's related or not. It also seems to occur more often when I leave the Radio on or the fan speed on.

Friday I got in the car and not only did it glitch like above but. It didn't display anything on the My Link screen for AC controls and there where no lights on any of the controls. None of the controls worked fan speed, fan direction, temp control, etc. It was like the whole AC/Heater control unit was dead. I drove it to the dealer. They checked fuses, etc. and said I'd have to leave it for them to diagnose the problem.

Of corse all these problems go away if I turn the car off for ten to twenty minutes.

I think it's a software problem in either the My Link system or the main computer.

Besides this problem, the My Link radio works great. Never had any problems with the radio, radio controls, XM, Navigation, OnStar. Even when the AC glitches they work fine.

I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem or has any solutions.

Thanks..
Spaceclown,

Sorry to read about your AC/Heater concerns. I definitely understand your displeasure. Was the dealer able to reproduce this? What happened as a result of the service visit you mentioned?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #4
Spaceclown

Drives: 2014 1 LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Spaceclown,

Sorry to read about your AC/Heater concerns. I definitely understand your displeasure. Was the dealer able to reproduce this? What happened as a result of the service visit you mentioned?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

I didn't take it in today. I can't stand the thought of my car being torn apart when trying to find a problem. I guess I should have because when I started it up after work it stop working again. But this time the lights were still on so I just hit the fan direction button twice to get it to work. I think I caused it. Because as the My Link screen was loading I turn the fan control on. It also might be heat related too. It was real hot Friday and today. I guess I'm gonna have to take it in. :(
Spaceclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceclown View Post
I didn't take it in today. I can't stand the thought of my car being torn apart when trying to find a problem. I guess I should have because when I started it up after work it stop working again. But this time the lights were still on so I just hit the fan direction button twice to get it to work. I think I caused it. Because as the My Link screen was loading I turn the fan control on. It also might be heat related too. It was real hot Friday and today. I guess I'm gonna have to take it in. :(
I appreciate your response. Please know that, if you decide to proactively reach out to your dealer for an official diagnosis, to keep us posted on the process if possible. We're here via private message if you have further questions or concerns.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #6
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
I had similar issue the other day, for the first time. As the MyLink was booting up, I turned the fan control from off to mid, and pressed the a/c button. Nothing. When the myLink finished booting it would show that I was changing the blower speed, turning the air on and off etc.. but nothing happened. Two minutes later - it came on. I assumed it was simply confused by the immediacy of the control change requests as it was booting.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
JDono

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6 Vert - Riptide Blue
I recently purchased a 2014 2SS/RS. I've had the car a little over a week and I am experiencing these same issues. MyLink shows blank gray screen from time to time on start, thermostat controls become unresponsive, I have yet to get the heated seats to turn on at all. Just curious to see if you've had this issue checked with a dealer and if so how was it corrected. Thanks -JD
JDono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:52 PM   #8
20131LS

Drives: '14 1LT/RS
I've had the same issue with my 1LT a couple if times. I suspect it's Mylink related as well. My 2013 1LS, that I traded for it, never gave me any trouble. It's so hit or miss, I haven't contacted the dealer because I know I'll get the old "could not duplicate" excuse. I'm hopeful that a TSB will come out regarding this issue eventually.

2013 1LS SW Hugger Orange Rally stripes
Elite catch can
Emblempros LS emblems and gill stripes: Traded 5/20/14
20131LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #9
jason25

Drives: 2014 Camaro
Happened to me twice, I don't have my link, I have a 1ls and it can't be duplicated to show the dealer. It's really aggrevatong with only 2,500 miles on the car.
jason25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:32 AM   #10
Leazimong

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
I have a 2014 Camaro SS and this happens to me too. When it happened, I took a video of it showing the unresponsive controls.

When I took it into the dealership, they contacted GM and GM told them that if I have an aftermarket amp, that could be the problem. I have an aftermarket amp unfortunately so they won't do anything for me.
Leazimong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:09 AM   #11
camrytt

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Anyone ever get any resolution for this? 2014 l99 doing the same

Current: 2017 ZL1 A10
previous: 2019 1SS A10
previous: '14 L99, CAI intake, vmax ported tb, e85 kit, stage 2 cnc heads, speed engineering long tubes, custom high flows, resonated x pipe, muffler delete, qtp cut outs, gpi ss3 vvt Cam, zl1 pump and injectors, fti triple disc, mayhem motorsports trans cooler and tune, ngk spark plugs +red msd wires, 3.91 gears.
Past: '12 LFX, full bolt ons + E85, 302hp/267tq
camrytt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:16 AM   #12
ShadowYYZ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT Deep Magenta
Quote:
Originally Posted by camrytt View Post
Anyone ever get any resolution for this? 2014 l99 doing the same
Take it to the dealership, they programmed my 14. It wouldn't respond/have any LED lits. Explain to them it happens occasionally and see if they can reprogram.
ShadowYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:04 PM   #13
camrytt

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowYYZ View Post
Take it to the dealership, they programmed my 14. It wouldn't respond/have any LED lits. Explain to them it happens occasionally and see if they can reprogram.
Thanks I'll just give them a call

Current: 2017 ZL1 A10
previous: 2019 1SS A10
previous: '14 L99, CAI intake, vmax ported tb, e85 kit, stage 2 cnc heads, speed engineering long tubes, custom high flows, resonated x pipe, muffler delete, qtp cut outs, gpi ss3 vvt Cam, zl1 pump and injectors, fti triple disc, mayhem motorsports trans cooler and tune, ngk spark plugs +red msd wires, 3.91 gears.
Past: '12 LFX, full bolt ons + E85, 302hp/267tq
camrytt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:53 PM   #14
Tank

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT 1LE RS
here is what I did to fix it

So, I figured out that I needed to remove a fuse. I have a 2018 6th gen RS, the fuse block I had to get into was in the trunk.

I found F2, a 40 amp fuse (it is one of the large square type ones). With the power off, I took this out, let it stay out about a minute and then put it back in.

Once I got in and started up the car, the climate controls had lights and everything worked fine.

I attached a couple of photos.

I hope this helps others out, I know I was really getting stressed on this one.

I had this happen once before, but it resolved itself by the next morning when I started up the car. This time though, not the same joy.

What caused it this time is my battery died, completely. I had it on a charger but also went ahead and jump started the car.

So I am not sure if it was just the battery dying totally, or the fact I jump started the car, not sure which one caused the issue, but this is how to fix it.

Frank
Attached Images

Tank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ac/heater controls locked up