Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #15
rocketman 12
SOON.........

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS Z-281LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_BigC View Post
I've done three heater cores to date on Camaro's, two SS Camaro's and one base LS.

The only reason the windshield has to come out is because of two bolts at the front of the dash brace/frame, there physically is no way to sneak those bolts out or work around it to get the heater core out, the bolt are like 6 inches long and you have 1 inch or so between the bolt head and the windshield, yes I know total design flaw!! If GM would have made these bolts come out from underneath you wouldn't have to take the windshield out.

Sometimes things would be sooo much better if the engineers that design things actually had to repair them when they broke....Chevy engineers seem to be just as bad about this as John Deere's.

Oh and "cbass' this has nothing to do with what you call "deathcool" (DEXCOOL). These failing heater cores are just crap, their made cheap with cheap a** materials and they failing. The three cores I did all failed the same way, the welds let go somewhere inside the heater core and the core failed, absolutely nothing to do with DEXCOOL.

I figured it was something like that, seems to me from reading the threads on here that its mostly the 2010's that are affected with this issue, maybe GM changed their supplier after the 2010's....
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
I've heard electrolysis is a common cause of heater core failures. This applies to all cars in general, not just the Camaro/GM. Bad electric grounds, poorly installed electronics/aftermarket sound systems, and poor cooling system maintenance can all create electrolysis.
For people who've had heater core failures, do you have any aftermarket electronics or sound systems installed?

I can't speak for the others, but my car is COMPLETELY stock except for the muffler delete.....However, I do use the usb slot regularly, lol.

I should be getting it back Tuesday or Wednesday, hopefully everything is a-o.k.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #16
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Tell it like it is, man.

Where are you at, 'cause I would like you to work on my Camaro probs any time.
haha, I'm from Timmins ON, Canada, way up north, lots of snow and crappy weather. I am and would be honored to work on your car, that is if you feel like driving it up here!! lol.

On a serious level, I have not seen any 2011-2012's have any of these issues yet, mileage isn't really an issue (one car had a whooping 1700 KM on it and the core went bad). None of the Camaro's I worked on were modified except for mine. I did test the electrolysis levels and coolant strength before i took anything apart and they weren't any different from other Camaro's that we had on the lot that were brand new.

From what I see on a day to day basis, its a quality control thing, cheapest part to make/produce/use and sell, that doesn't fail right away, they'll use, until they really see a huge issue with that part, then they change suppliers or manufacturer. But I get paid to fix the problems, not to re engineer the parts, so be it lol.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, complete JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint, Eforce Supercharger w. 3" pulley, ADM FPCM, ID850's, JRE fuel rail mod, Eforce CAI, Moroso catch can, spark plug insulators.
DJ_BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #17
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
haha, I'm from Timmins ON, Canada, way up north, lots of snow and crappy weather. I am and would be honored to work on your car, that is if you feel like driving it up here!! lol.

On a serious level, I have not seen any 2011-2012's have any of these issues yet, mileage isn't really an issue (one car had a whooping 1700 KM on it and the core went bad). None of the Camaro's I worked on were modified except for mine. I did test the electrolysis levels and coolant strength before i took anything apart and they weren't any different from other Camaro's that we had on the lot that were brand new.

From what I see on a day to day basis, its a quality control thing, cheapest part to make/produce/use and sell, that doesn't fail right away, they'll use, until they really see a huge issue with that part, then they change suppliers or manufacturer. But I get paid to fix the problems, not to re engineer the parts, so be it lol.
Good to hear, hope my 2010 heater core holds up, it bothers me to hear of extensive failure on such a PITA repair.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #18
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Once a week now I turn my heat on and take a good wiff. If its leaking, you WILL smell it right away, no two ways about it.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, complete JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint, Eforce Supercharger w. 3" pulley, ADM FPCM, ID850's, JRE fuel rail mod, Eforce CAI, Moroso catch can, spark plug insulators.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #19
rocketman 12
SOON.........

Quote:
Once a week now I turn my heat on and take a good wiff. If its leaking, you WILL smell it right away, no two ways about it.
EXACTLY.....You WILL notice it. I first noticed mine when the defrost was running, but the car had been parked for about 2 months at that time, and I figured it was just "stale" from sitting for so long. It was actually at C5 Fest that I realized I may have a bigger problem, while I was getting the car dynoed, one of the techs noticed the smell and told me I'd better have it checked out. On the trip home, I noticed the anti-freeze smell through the AC for the first time, then on the way to the dealer last Monday I smelled it twice, and I didn't even have the ac or defrost on, just the fan. I guess I may have cut things rather close in terms of having a big mess on my hands.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #20
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
They moved the coolant pressure cap to the radiator in later years.
Wonder if that has anything to do with the heater core failures?
Old 08-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #21
rocketman 12
SOON.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Stacy~ View Post
My heater core took a dump last summer when my car only had 14,000 miles. My car left with no scratches and the windshield suffered no cracks or rattles. I would make sure your airbag coil is okay after surgery mine had to get replaced after they tore apart the dash. My car is currently running 26,000 miles but my warranty ends January 25th and I'm scared the heater core is going to go again

Wouldn't you know it......The dealer called yesterday after they had finished with the heater core issue to say that now the air bag coil needed replaced. Guess I'll still be Cruzing around till at least Tuesday now. On the positive side, I'm glad they checked the air bag stuff out before letting me pick up the car.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #22
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Now there's only one reason why those SIR coils break and because the technician was not careful when he either wasted his time and took the column apart, or he did not lock the steering wheel before removing the entire column assembly, if your careful they do not break.

As soon as that SIR coil breaks, you lose all of your steering wheel controls, maybe the horn, I cant remember, the SIR light comes on right away also.

In all its a simple part to replace once they remove the steering wheel, better hope they don't break this one.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #23
~Stacy~
Banned

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman 12 View Post
Wouldn't you know it......The dealer called yesterday after they had finished with the heater core issue to say that now the air bag coil needed replaced. Guess I'll still be Cruzing around till at least Tuesday now. On the positive side, I'm glad they checked the air bag stuff out before letting me pick up the car.
That sucks:( Definatey want the air bag system to be working in case you need it:(
~Stacy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #24
rocketman 12
SOON.........

Quote:
Now there's only one reason why those SIR coils break and because the technician was not careful when he either wasted his time and took the column apart, or he did not lock the steering wheel before removing the entire column assembly, if your careful they do not break.

As soon as that SIR coil breaks, you lose all of your steering wheel controls, maybe the horn, I cant remember, the SIR light comes on right away also.

In all its a simple part to replace once they remove the steering wheel, better hope they don't break this one.
Great......
Old 08-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #25
missthe3
You only live once

Drives: 2LT RS - Imperial Blue
Add me to the list of bad cores 24.5k miles - I'm waiting for a date from the dealer. They tell me I'm their first one to have this done
missthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #26
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman 12 View Post

Please let us know when your vehicle is back in your hands. We truly appreciate your patience!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 08-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #27
rocketman 12
SOON.........

Missthe3, be prepared to lose your car for 10-14 days:(.....My dealer just called about 20 minutes ago, we'll be picking my car up later this evening! Hopefully no rattles or squeaks on the ride home.....
Old 08-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #28
rocketman 12
SOON.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Please let us know when your vehicle is back in your hands. We truly appreciate your patience!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service

It's back home where it belongs! The guys at Kelley Chevrolet in Fort Wayne, IN did a GREAT job. I got a little impatient the last 4-5 days, but honestly, who wouldn't? They even cleaned the car for me, including detailing the interior, it smelled like brand new again when I climbed inside before leaving the dealer. Everything seems to be in good working order and so far no rattles or squeaks.....