Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-01-2010, 12:39 AM   #1
2SSRSB

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6 Inferno Orange
Cali Legal - Exhaust / Headers / HF Air Filter - Your recommendations?

Greetings

I'm shopping for California street-legal mods to improve HP and sound.

Thinking of shorty headers, exhaust and, of course, a hi-flow air filter.

Question - will shorty headers (combined with the other mods) actually deliver more HP? Or is sound their primary benefit? I know that on motorcycles opening up the headers can reduce back pressure on the engine and actually reduce HP. Thoughts?

Question - can you recommend CA street-legal exhaust set-up (other than GMPP)? Looking for HP first, sound second.

Question - I know folks have favorites, but aren't all hi-flow filters pretty much the same (from a performance perspective)? If not, what do you recommend versus GMPP?

Oh - and I want to do any/all of the above without a tune, if possible.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

2010 2SS RS
Born December 9, 2009
2SSRSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:05 AM   #2
BabyHauler

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS 6M
CAI cold air kit
Doug Thorley shorty headers
and the cat back that produces the sound you like.

This set up should run fine without a tune
Old 04-01-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
BlackSS831

Drives: 2008 Lexus IS350
Just put whatever you want on your Camaro! Don't worry about Carb stickers. You drive a "CAMARO"! Not a Honda, cops loves muscle cars.
BlackSS831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
The only thing you can run into issues on will be a CAI system as none of them are CARB exempt! Just keep your stock one to swap out when the time comes for a smog test.

I have DT shorties and no muffs on mine as well as the Cold Air inductions CAI.

You will get pretty much only sound from the axle back. The DT's made an appreciable difference as did the CAI.

If you don't want to deal with a CAI swap out down the road, use a K&N drop in and be done with it.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
2SSRSB

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6 Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
The only thing you can run into issues on will be a CAI system as none of them are CARB exempt! Just keep your stock one to swap out when the time comes for a smog test.

You will get pretty much only sound from the axle back. The DT's made an appreciable difference as did the CAI.

If you don't want to deal with a CAI swap out down the road, use a K&N drop in and be done with it.
Thanks, Chuck!

2010 2SS RS
Born December 9, 2009
2SSRSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Before you blow $$ on shorties, i'd suggest you read the two current shorty threads and decide for yourself if they are worth the price. I personally wouldn't waste $$ on them but it's something you should make up your own mind about. A good CAI will make HP.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #7
hypurone

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Before you blow $$ on shorties, i'd suggest you read the two current shorty threads and decide for yourself if they are worth the price. I personally wouldn't waste $$ on them but it's something you should make up your own mind about. A good CAI will make HP.
Everyone has their opinion on their performance and I don't feel that was a "standup" test as there was not enough time between resets of the ECM for it to relearn the shortie setup.

Regardless, they will change the exhaust tone to a more mellow, less raspy growl. Which I feel is worth it all by itself even without the noticeable performance gain I got.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #8
hypurone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRSB View Post
Thanks, Chuck!
Welcome! Not sure how soon you are doing yours but I will be down in the Canyon Lake/Fallbrook/Bonsall area in May (24-29) and you can listen to my setup then if ya want! It won't be a good indicator for power as I am having a SC done when I am down there!!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:37 AM   #9
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Ok, my car was done on 2 different dynos at 2 very different times and weather conditions. The RWHP was the same before and after the JBA Shorty Headers were put on. I was very unhappy. I like the sound that got a little better, but other than that, I don't see a difference. Now, a tune might solve the problem and that's next
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #10
2010 4 DW
Account Suspended

Drives: White 2010 RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Ok, my car was done on 2 different dynos at 2 very different times and weather conditions. The RWHP was the same before and after the JBA Shorty Headers were put on. I was very unhappy. I like the sound that got a little better, but other than that, I don't see a difference. Now, a tune might solve the problem and that's next
You said it..

You need to test on the same dyno or nothing matters.

I saw a Supercharged 2010 Camaro do 420rwhp on one dyno and 560rwhp on another. You always need to use the same dyno or the numbers really don't matter.

DW
2010 4 DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #11
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 4 DW View Post
You said it..

You need to test on the same dyno or nothing matters.

I saw a Supercharged 2010 Camaro do 420rwhp on one dyno and 560rwhp on another. You always need to use the same dyno or the numbers really don't matter.

DW
That's not a difference in dyno's, that's a difference of messed up settings.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #12
MTI Racing Kevin

Drives: 2010 Camaro
50HP

We have been installing the American Racing header system, which includes Headers, X-Pipe, and High Flow Cats with our CIA and a tune to make 50HP everytime with no other mods. Add in the Stage 2 camshaft and it's 100HP to 110HP extra. It is always a good idea to get a tune done when you are increasing the amount of air going in and out of the engine as well as getting all the new parts working together to make as much horsepower as possible. Not to mention the driveability of your Camaro after the work is done. Let me know if you have any questions I am happy to help.
MTI Racing Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #13
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
I'll probably be seeking help once my Diablo Trinity comes in I'm trying to read all about tuning and my little brain is swelling up! I'll actually get a dyno tune in a while, but will start with a canned tune.

I want to maximize all the mods I've made already without doing too much more on performance parts. Suspension mods are were I'm at now

Thanks
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #14
jag107

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post

Hypurone,
have you had any issues (law wise) with your muff delete? Did you do it yourself or were you able to find a shop to do it? I would really prefer a shop to do the delete for half or less the price than the SLP loudmouth.
jag107 is offline   Reply With Quote