Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #15
NYJets77

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
If to do something right like a roto fab or CAI was $1000 and required me to find a tech and pay him 300 to install it, I might be cobbling on a conical or something too. But the CAI is like $400 and installs with hand tools in an hour by anyone. When I spend 40K or so on a car, I can find 1% of that number to make the engine compartment work and look good:
i applaud your common sense, sir!
NYJets77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #16
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
K&N has a filter to fit the stock air box.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=33-2434

Another that Jac-Fab sells:
http://jacfab.com/products/camaro-pr...rop-in-filter/
But it doesn't help one bit. Except to drain your wallet
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #17
San2cci

Drives: 2013 silver ice metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza7 View Post
But it doesn't help one bit. Except to drain your wallet
Not true. The K&N filters are less restrictive so more air passes through. Also, as opposed to stock filters, K&N direct replacement filters are washable so instead of having to keep purchasing new air filters you just re-use them. In the long run, it will save you money.

It all depends on preference.
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #18
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
I am a big fan of OEM. The engineers whom designed it knew what they were doing, or they would have added one, at extra cost for us of course.

For the cost of a CAI for a non-racer like me, just doesn't make sense. You are getting cold air intake (CAI) relatively, compared to the heat of the engine surrounding it.

Not allowed to talk about the other after-market thingy as I am on my final warning for my humble opinion that is brilliant but not appreciated.

Peace out.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #19
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyko1 View Post
I am a big fan of OEM. The engineers whom designed it knew what they were doing, or they would have added one, at extra cost for us of course.

For the cost of a CAI for a non-racer like me, just doesn't make sense. You are getting cold air intake (CAI) relatively, compared to the heat of the engine surrounding it.

Not allowed to talk about the other after-market thingy as I am on my final warning for my humble opinion that is brilliant but not appreciated.

Peace out.
Of course. The cars come from the factory perfect in every way, with no room for improvement. Those engineers have unlimited time and budgets, and no regulations to contend with, so they've thought of everything!

Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #20
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by San2cci View Post
Not true. The K&N filters are less restrictive so more air passes through. Also, as opposed to stock filters, K&N direct replacement filters are washable so instead of having to keep purchasing new air filters you just re-use them. In the long run, it will save you money.

It all depends on preference.
Your second point (money savings) is correct.

Your first point has been proven false. The drop-in K&N filter does not increase power. Often times the OEM airbox itself is a big part of the restriction of airflow. Have you seen the snorkel that comes off of that thing?
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
Old 07-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #21
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
Your second point (money savings) is correct.

Your first point has been proven false. The drop-in K&N filter does not increase power. Often times the OEM airbox itself is a big part of the restriction of airflow. Have you seen the snorkel that comes off of that thing?
The snorkel actually helps the stock airbox... It flows worse if you remove it.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #22
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
JMO, but there were 3 things why I spent the money and bought a CAI and not in any particular order. 1. Increase in MPG. Granted it may have only been a tiny increase but every little bit helps especially when just 2 months ago we were well over $4 per gallon. 2. Performance. Again very small increase but again every little bit is appreciated. 3. Looks. This is probably one of the more important factors about adding this as to me it now looks a lot better under the hood. I bought the Injen CAI with the polished tube and it looks nice under the hood. I was going to settle for just adding the K&N filter to the air box but why not make it look cleaner under the hood.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #23
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
The snorkel actually helps the stock airbox... It flows worse if you remove it.
Why would that be? How can channeling the air through that narrow tube help?

I'm just curious, as when I pulled my stock airbox out to clean a bunch of crap out of the bottom, I kind of laughed when I saw that appendage coming off of it.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #24
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
Why would that be? How can channeling the air through that narrow tube help?

I'm just curious, as when I pulled my stock airbox out to clean a bunch of crap out of the bottom, I kind of laughed when I saw that appendage coming off of it.
The radiused entry on the end helps smooth incoming airflow, and increases velocity. The narrow tube with the radiused end, is better than a narrow hole with a flat end.

Take the test results with a grain of salt because they were not tested through a head/intake/throttle body. Just tested with the stock airbox, and stock intake tube. You're better off leaving the snorkel than you are removing it.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #25
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
The radiused entry on the end helps smooth incoming airflow, and increases velocity. The narrow tube with the radiused end, is better than a narrow hole with a flat end.

Take the test results with a grain of salt because they were not tested through a head/intake/throttle body. Just tested with the stock airbox, and stock intake tube. You're better off leaving the snorkel than you are removing it.
Wow, that's some awesome info. It leads me to a few questions/observations:
  • How much different than the V6 intake box/tube is the SS intake box/tube (i.e., do you think the results would be identical)?
  • Do you know if the drop-in K&N filter would increase power, since it increases airflow by 11% over stock? Everything I've read on here--and elsewhere--has said otherwise, until now. I don't want to continue to repeat bad information, as I (and at least one other person) may have already done in this thread.
  • The snorkel seems to slightly help airflow, but it's help is essentially negated by having a filter in place. Is 3/4 of 1% statistically significant?
Thanks for posting your research.