Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 12-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #15
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
I have to admit I am by no means an engineer, but looking at the patent images, I woder why it would be beneficial to pull in the amient air from the bottom closest to the "hot" engine when it seems they should have inverted the compressor/vane wheel to pull from the top/forward? from all we all know with CAI's and IAT's it just would seem more logical to be appropriated this way?
Patent law is more concerned with the claims than the drawings.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #16
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Do you realize that 11% of traffic deaths are from collisions with pedestrians? The hood crush zone is just one of the items being looked at to reduce these deaths. It's coming and automakers are looking ahead to meet them.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/pr...le-design.html
No, I didn't realize it was 11% (is that something people should infer?). I always figured the fenders were more important in auto-pedestrian accidents than the hood.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #17
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
seems like it would be almost impossible to intercool that design. granted the guys at GM get paid to come up with these ides...and im sure they know more about it than me.

cool idea none the less.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #18
gmen09

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS ls3
Quote:
Possibly this engine here?
Yes that is it, it looks like the new LT4 is definitely shorter than the previous style supercharged engine (LSA)
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #19
pancherj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
According to the pictures in the patent, its going to be a Hemi but back to a mechanical fan setup :(

I can see a big advantage in the power it takes to drive the compressor (no belts or offset loads). However, how do the provide for the step-up to get the RPM needed? Interesting concept for sure.
pancherj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #20
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
One way to help reduce the heat soak effects would be design the intake cover with cooling fins to dissipate the heat, a heat extractor located above this would also aid in heat reduction by forcing airflow across the fins.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #21
47AJV8

Drives: A White Car
I've seen very similar set ups ran on M3s, they are usually water/cartridge cooled, I've seen them make 600 RWHP on 93, so it can't be that bad of a design!
Old 12-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #22
ayousef

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrigdan View Post
I've seen very similar set ups ran on M3s, they are usually water/cartridge cooled, I've seen them make 600 RWHP on 93, so it can't be that bad of a design!
care to show us?

1150bhp Whipple 4.0 Supercharged 427ci Camaro ZL1
ayousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #23
ayousef

I really hope this thing has an intercooler, I mean the diagram and the LT4 leaked images to have some awfully similar parts which means its 95% it. Now there are cooling hoses going to the blower, however perhaps they cool the blower unit itself which indirectly cools the discharged compressed air temp, or maybe with the new additions to the motor only need to run something like 7psi to make 600bhp, a boost level at which they thought an intercooler wouldn't be necessary I don't know...

Old 12-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #24
the rich dude

Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
I would put GM's r&d program against anyone's. Once that lt4 comes it it will be bad a$$. Hopefully it had an intercooler but if it doesn't it means that's it doesn't need it
the rich dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #25
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Do you realize that 11% of traffic deaths are from collisions with pedestrians? The hood crush zone is just one of the items being looked at to reduce these deaths. It's coming and automakers are looking ahead to meet them.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/pr...le-design.html
That number is a lot higher overseas and because of this the new Mercedes vehicles have cylinders under the rear of the hood to pop it up to help deflect a person from hitting the windshield on rest if world vehicles. This will be installed on US models soon.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #26
47AJV8

Drives: A White Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayousef View Post
care to show us?
http://store.activeautowerke.com/act...el-3-p233.aspx
AA Kit, don't see any good pics of the design on the website but you can google from there.

Video of VF Car making ~700 BHP road test:

I cannot remember exactly where but I have seen the schematic for those kits and it shows show the centri blower is mounting in the manifold pretty much.

I don't think there will be a ton of issue with heat soak with this setup any more than most other superchargers, Audi and BMW mount their twin turbos inside the V shape of their engines for better spool and they seem to be "fine", obviously major racing will soak them though.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #27
ayousef

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrigdan View Post
http://store.activeautowerke.com/act...el-3-p233.aspx
AA Kit, don't see any good pics of the design on the website but you can google from there.

Video of VF Car making ~700 BHP road test:

I cannot remember exactly where but I have seen the schematic for those kits and it shows show the centri blower is mounting in the manifold pretty much.

I don't think there will be a ton of issue with heat soak with this setup any more than most other superchargers, Audi and BMW mount their twin turbos inside the V shape of their engines for better spool and they seem to be "fine", obviously major racing will soak them though.
The M3 in the video has a Vortech side mounted centrifugal, the images however seem to be what you described.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #28
RocketCutlass
Property USMC

Drives: 95 Caprice 9C1
Looks to me like the picture of the LT4 has a pulley on the other side of the throttle body for the supercharger.
RocketCutlass is offline   Reply With Quote