Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-16-2007, 01:11 AM   #1
twigg107

Drives: 05 Subaru STi
08 STI vs Shelby GT

Someone posted this on the sti forums and I cant stop laughing....... mustang got owned!!!!

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...eoID=20190448/
03 Chevy Siverado 2500HD
69 Chevy C-10 (bagged and bodydropped)
twigg107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:01 AM   #2
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
OUCH!!!
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:06 AM   #3
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Seems like every year some one compares these two… It’s like comparing apples to oranges… Sorry I’ll still take the Shelby…

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:40 AM   #4
Good53X

Drives: 1988Nissan Pulsar (meh,beater)
I'd prefer the STI to the Shelby.

I like the feeling of acceleration, and AWD sticks better than RWD in most situations.

I like small cars (in genearl) and am also fond of hatches.

I do generally prefer two-doors, but the STI pulls it off well.

Stock turbos are generally easier to tune for power gains (intake/exhaust ~ up boost = instant power).

~~

On the other hand, RWD is a lot of fun. Also, dry-revving a V8 and having your chassis twist is pretty sexy

Unfortunately I just think that, in this case, the mustang suffers from underpower and overweight. Two things the Camaro hopefully won't. In addition, independant rear will be a huge advantage for the Camaro

I'm glad that the commentator added that drag radials would put the shelby equal to, or ahead of the STI.

~~

On a last note, I was unimpressed with the comparison of the STI, which is (if I'm not mistaken) a performance trim level, with the Shelby GT (not GT500), which is just an appearance trim level. The Mustang GT will run a lower pricetag and run the same engine... correct?

All aside, good comparison
Good53X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:14 AM   #5
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Yeah, the cars aren't exactly the same type of beast. Too bad they made the 08 STIs so ugly. The old ones were beautiful, in a pure racing machine kinda of way. This one just screams riced-out hot hatch. Still, it will be good to see this comparo with the IRS equipped Camaro. Seeing how the G8 handles, I think the Camaro will put up a much better fight in the twistie tests than the Shelby. Well, I was never a fan of the Shelby Mustangs. I don't like the styling, and the performance upgrades just don't represent a complete package upgrade. I've seen other Mustang variants put out way better performance.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:19 PM   #6
stevenm357

Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
the new STI is just plain UGLY! but that's what you get when you make a mustang so heavy and keep the engine at a HP rating that many V6's are puttin out any more. I mean Audi's V8 is a LOT smaller like 3.8 litres and puts out 40 more HP.

2001 Corvette
Heads,Big cam, 4:11, Custom Exhaust, MGW Shifter Baer Eradispeed +2 2 pieces rotors, Hotchkiss swaybars. and a few other little things.

1998 Trans Am A4 ( was STS turbo until the turbo and oil pump died)

2000 WS6 Trans AM under the knife ( sadly turned into long term project.
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:58 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The Shelby Mustang isn't the best car to use in this comp, its barely better than the regular GT but costs over 10k more. I would like to see how the Challenger (or Charger) SRT8 will stack up, it will fall in the same price range and should have better power to weight (over 1lb/hp less) and a better interior.

The top Camaro should fare much better though, providing there is an LS3 or better engine in it. It will have better acceleration and trap speed, better skid pad rating (im thinking 0.90 - 0.92 for the top package . . .), slalom I don't know how that will turn out. And as for the rest of the things they tested, I have no clue how the Camaro will do.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:25 PM   #8
twigg107

Drives: 05 Subaru STi
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Yeah, the cars aren't exactly the same type of beast. Too bad they made the 08 STIs so ugly. The old ones were beautiful, in a pure racing machine kinda of way. This one just screams riced-out hot hatch. Still, it will be good to see this comparo with the IRS equipped Camaro. Seeing how the G8 handles, I think the Camaro will put up a much better fight in the twistie tests than the Shelby. Well, I was never a fan of the Shelby Mustangs. I don't like the styling, and the performance upgrades just don't represent a complete package upgrade. I've seen other Mustang variants put out way better performance.
To tell you the truth.... all the STi's are not very good looking IMO. MY05 STi is like a brick on wheels but hands down the most fun car Ive EVER driven!!! Iam kinda glad they went with the hatch though.... I find the 08's hatch better looking then any of the others. Hell if I was going by looks, I'd be driving a evo IX!!!

Picture of my 05 STi.....

03 Chevy Siverado 2500HD
69 Chevy C-10 (bagged and bodydropped)
twigg107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:48 AM   #9
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
I'd still take the Shelby out of those two. I'm not a big fan of Subarus, way too many of them around here. No, this country needs more American cars.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:11 AM   #10
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
To me, the unfortunate thing about the Shelby GT is that it cost so damn much. If you throw a CAI and custom tune on a regular Mustang GT (for no more than $400 dollars) you have a car that is as fast as a Shelby GT all day long. I really dislike the Shelbys for the most part.

A normal Mustang GT fully loaded is still cheaper than a base STi (STi is $34995 base if you go to Subaru.com!).
I don't know anything about the 08 STi, but the edge was always in the STis favor. The last version of the STi was pretty quick, especially from a dig...if you weren't afraid to do a drop clutch launch at high RPMs, you could get a low 13 second 1/4 out of it.

However, it was still close enough that a Mustang GT could out drive an STi based on skill or luck. IMHO That is pretty solid for a car that still costs over $5K less than an STi.

At any rate, the car that should be compared with the Mustang GT is the basic Subaru WRX....it is in the proper price catagory starting at $24,350.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:41 PM   #11
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I'd take the STI. Hatchback utility, all-weather drivability from AWD, and better performance trumps the ugly (IMHO) styling. I'm not thrilled with the new STIs, but I still think they're pretty good cars.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote