Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
True vs. Conventional CAI systems.

After looking at the Fastlane performance "true" cold air intake and comparing it to the ones like the Hennessey. From an engineering standpoint, I have a feeling there has been ducting work to direct air right behind the driver side headlight, but the lower CAI makes sense too- so, what is everyone's opinions and experience about the PERFORMANCE- keep the "omg the true ones suck water into your intake horror stories" out of the conversation.

Picture of conventional CAI-

And if a mod could help get me a still capture of the true CAI setup from the Fastlane video?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
mike@newera

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
A lot of induction systems will come about right away that are quick and easy to produce. If it's what you want then maybe buy it, or you can wait to see what else will become available in the near future so you don't buy something twice. Most everything will have flaws to an extent, I could be wrong, but everyone wants something different, and there will always be someone that doesn't like something about a particular system.
mike@newera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
blackedout010

Drives: on order black 2010 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@newera View Post
A lot of induction systems will come about right away that are quick and easy to produce. If it's what you want then maybe buy it, or you can wait to see what else will become available in the near future so you don't buy something twice. Most everything will have flaws to an extent, I could be wrong, but everyone wants something different, and there will always be someone that doesn't like something about a particular system.

agreed! theres gonna be nicer stuff out soon
blackedout010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:06 PM   #4
mike@newera

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
And stop worrying about water being sucked in, you would have to suck a massive amount of water in to hurt your engine, a little mist will not hurt at all. I remember a video of Jim Hall watching him spraying a hose onto his air filter of one of his corvette intakes with the car running, he then shut off the hose and closed the hood and got in the car and got in and blew the tires loose and kept on driving and didn't miss a beat, not saying that I reccomend it, but he did it to prove his product was ok and recorded it and put it on the net to make people stop worrying about the internet hype.
mike@newera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:22 AM   #5
Davis

Drives: '10 Black 2SS/RS M6
Had an SLP CAI in my 4th Gen. Great piece from a great company, I'll wait for theirs..
Delivered 4/17/2009
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
I would go True CAI for maximum proformance, but would instal an oil catch can as well and probaly some extra money on a good quality oil filter

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:01 PM   #7
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
A true cold air induction system needs to be a minimum ove 24"(Thats right 2 ft) off the concrete.

We have done countless testing of this in the hot summer and cold winter here in Tx and found that the heat off the concrete or asphalt is 10-18 degrees hotter on the same vehicle at 2 ft off the ground.....If I could make it look right I would get my air 20 ft up...but not possible and keep it clean looking.

BTW-I challenge anyone here to run the same test we ran..Our test was a TRAILBLAZER SS WITH THE FILTER BEHIND THE LOWER FASCIA AND GRILL AT RIGHT GRILL .

A great read - http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ge...AirWARNING.pdf
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
Hennessey's setup is a hot air intake, not a cold one. Without something to shield it from engine heat it is a shiny waste of money.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #9
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE View Post
A true cold air induction system needs to be a minimum of 24"(Thats right 2 ft) off the concrete.

We have done countless testing of this in the hot summer and cold winter here in Tx.We found that the heat off the concrete or asphalt is 10-18 degrees hotter on the same vehicle at 12"-15" off the ground.....If I could make it look right I would get my air 20 ft up...but not possible.

BTW-I challenge anyone here to run the same test we ran..Our test was a TRAILBLAZER SS WITH THE FILTER BEHIND THE LOWER FASCIA AND GRILL AT RIGHT GRILL .

A great read - http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ge...AirWARNING.pdf

Test piping pre coating and install-

After coating and install -
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:39 AM   #10
GTAwheelman

Drives: 1985 Camaro Sport Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Hennessey's setup is a hot air intake, not a cold one. Without something to shield it from engine heat it is a shiny waste of money.

looks good though, and for some people thats enough. not me though. when i replace the stocker, i will get one with a shield.
GTAwheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I've wondered about trying to pick up air from off the pavement, and now that's been answered - thanks. It makes sense to me. Personally, I'll be looking for the system that introduces the coolest air and has the least amount of bends/restrictions. Hennessey's set-up looks good, and though I remember him commenting on getting a heat shield on production systems, I think I'd like to see a filter pull air in from outside the engine compartment. I can just see idling at the line, just after a burnout, heat bleeding off the headers/manifolds and just soaking a metallic (or even plastic) shield where that particular filter is. I'd prefer a system that relocates the filter below-behind the headlight, even though it'll introduce more bends. I suspect if the tubing is large enough restrictions from the bends will be minimal.

JMO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:44 AM   #12
NickPic

Drives: 2006 GMC Sierra 1500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
if u read the add for the product it says it comes with one not pictured aboove. it DOES come with one

i added a "true CAI" on my 6.0 motor and it helped. iwould def go for one but i think if u wait u will see better designs as well as better prices
06 gmc sierra 1500HD: w/ 6.0, K&N CAI, air raid TBS, pacesetter ceramic coated LT headers, magnaflow X-pipe, SLP loudmouth I resonators, gibson 4' tips, blackbear custom tune, 20 inch rims, bfg 33" tires, 2-10" mtx subs, 2000 watt audiobahn amp, 10 farad tsunami cap, HID's, air horns etc......

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3103872

slp tuned diablo programmer for sale. pm me for info.

06 pontiac G6 GT: bone stock except hid's
NickPic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:45 AM   #13
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAwheelman View Post
looks good though, and for some people thats enough. not me though. when i replace the stocker, i will get one with a shield.
it can look good all it wants.

but having cool looking parts vs ones that give you more power is like stuffing a sock down your pants.

it looks cool.... till you have to perform.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #14
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Some thing else to consider guys, Cold vs hot air perfomance gains are minimal, and as ADM has said there is a optimal height at which you need to bring in the cold air. The real benefit to these systems is the increased air flow. That is where 90% of the horse power these parts create comes from.

There is minimal difference between cold and not cold Air intakes. especially on a DD car.

Now, I've seen drag racers that pump ice water throught their intercoolers to bring air temps down. But again those guys are looking for hundreths of seconds.

FWIW.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote