Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
itguy

Drives: CTS-V Wagon
Headlight Armor fitment problem

I'm having an issue with fitment on the red side markers. The yellow went okay but when I contacted them the first response I received was I made an error in installation.

I watched the video and followed the instructions, just like they pointed out in their email, "It's a straight-forward installation"...but they didn't fit for me.

I decided to split the difference on one light when I saw it wasn't going to cover the length and left the other one alone...I was told I should have provided additional heat it so I could stretch it out. I was scared to provide to much heat and it look like it was stretched.

So, I'll be the first to admit when I'm wrong and if the general consensus is YES YOU SCREWED UP, I'll accept that, but I felt I followed the instructions and still had an issue...looks fine from 5' but when you get close they look rough....

itguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
pannhead51

Drives: 2SS convertible
It shouldn't require any 'stretching' at all, it's a virtually flat surface.
pannhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
itguy

The vendor would only offer a replacement set for $20.55 shipped...they state if I follow their directions they are CERTAIN they will fit...I guess I'm stuck and at their mercy so it is what it is...can't guarantee the tint would match if I went with another vendor.

Soooooo, be very careful if you order these and make sure you follow their procedure to the T or you too may face the same issue.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
Cam2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by itguy View Post
The vendor would only offer a replacement set for $20.55 shipped...they state if I follow their directions they are CERTAIN they will fit...I guess I'm stuck and at their mercy so it is what it is...can't guarantee the tint would match if I went with another vendor.

Soooooo, be very careful if you order these and make sure you follow their procedure to the T or you too may face the same issue.
Send then your photos and ask then to explain where you went wrong.
Cam2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
solobaric

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Yeah those don't look they have a chance of fitting correctly. I don't see how you could possibly stretch those more to fit.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
itguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam2011 View Post
Send then your photos and ask then to explain where you went wrong.
I did that...both responses from them are if you follow our instructions you wouldn't have the issue so we'll see. I did line up at one end and ended up short so I'll try to stretch it to the other side.

I can't have my car looking like sh!t so I'm at their mercy unless I want to start over and purchase an entire kit from someone else for at least another $50.

I'm not very happy right now but it is what it is...I'll do as I was asked and hope for the best. Due to the situation I would have thought they would have offered more of a discount.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
Cam2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by itguy View Post
I did that...both responses from them are if you follow our instructions you wouldn't have the issue so we'll see. I did line up at one end and ended up short so I'll try to stretch it to the other side.

I can't have my car looking like sh!t so I'm at their mercy unless I want to start over and purchase an entire kit from someone else for at least another $50.

I'm not very happy right now but it is what it is...I'll do as I was asked and hope for the best. Due to the situation I would have thought they would have offered more of a discount.
I hate hearing this sort of crap. Not to over step my boundaries since I'm sure you did what you could, but I would call and ask to talk to the owner and see if it is worth it for him to lose a customer over a piece of vinyl? Better yet call the BBB and let them deal with them. I assume that they are not a vendor here? Good luck to you.

What a great business model, sell someone a piece that doesn't fit then charge them more the second time to get the right one.
Cam2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
itguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam2011 View Post
I hate hearing this sort of crap. Not to over step my boundaries since I'm sure you did what you could, but I would call and ask to talk to the owner and see if it is worth it for him to lose a customer over a piece of vinyl? Better yet call the BBB and let them deal with them. I assume that they are not a vendor here? Good luck to you.

What a great business model, sell someone a piece that doesn't fit then charge them more the second time to get the right one.

They're a vendor and a lot of people have used them. I tend to do my research and these guys checked out...just hate how this went down. All I can do is repeat that it really is a straight-forward install and I did what I thought was right after watching the video. I saw that it wouldn't cover the entire lens so I made an adjustment on one and left the other one alone...you can see this in the pics. I can argue with them all day long and that won't change a thing...

Hopefully I'll get the new tint soon and everything will be fine. I'm sure they're cut in a controlled environment so there really shouldn't be any variances but there will never be a way to prove anything...live and learn I guess!!!