Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 10-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #939
Falundir

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE - Hyper Blue, P85DL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
Just got off the phone with my dealer and he said they aren't even going to touch the top again until Chevy gets a correct fix in. 10 days on the second one and it almost rubbed through. So where does this leave me as a consumer? A 40K car with rub marks and almost holes in the top, both rear window regulators have been replaced, and the rear window trim, along with a seat cushion cloth. It has been in the shop for 22% of the days I have owned it. Does anyone have any suggestions besides pursuing the Lemon Law?
I can't quite blame the dealer honestly. It seems that people here are just continually replacing tops which both wastes the owner's time, and costs GM money. So far I have been pleased with the customer service of GM and my dealer, however that last final touch that we need is a 'we are aware of the issue and are pursuing a fix at this time'.
Falundir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #940
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
Someone on here talked to Scott in Texas and he said they are aware of the problem and will make it right. Now that is fine and dandy but those of us with top problems are out of luck at this point. If I lived down south where I could actually drop the top year round I would be livid. Luckily I put it away for 7 months a year. The continued up and down of the top will eventually wear it out. One little hole with a 70 mph wind while cruising with the top up could rip the whole thing apart. I wouldn't want that to happen to me while driving. This could end up being a safety issue. I just know when and if it does get fixed I am going to suggest the entire mechanism be replaced. Not just the canvas. These pieces need to work together. Not put a new piece on one that has miles on it.

UGH is all I have to say!
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:23 PM   #941
Falundir

Here is what I have:

#1 Wear marks on the passenger side.
#2 Wear marks on the driver side.
#3 Wear mark on the top (left side of the pic) and indentation driver side.
#4 Wear marks and wrinkles passenger side.
#5 Wrinkles on the top between the ribs.
#6 Wear marks and wrinkles driver side.
#7 Wear marks back driver side. (Note on the trim a scratch from when the Tonneau cover flew off as a result of the dealer not installing the bolts, they still have not managed to get the correct part in to replace that.)
#8 Indentations and heavy wrinkles driver side.
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2011, 10:26 PM   #942
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falundir View Post
Here is what I have:

#1 Wear marks on the passenger side.
#2 Wear marks on the driver side.
#3 Wear mark on the top (left side of the pic) and indentation driver side.
#4 Wear marks and wrinkles passenger side.
#5 Wrinkles on the top between the ribs.
#6 Wear marks and wrinkles driver side.
#7 Wear marks back driver side. (Note on the trim a scratch from when the Tonneau cover flew off as a result of the dealer not installing the bolts, they still have not managed to get the correct part in to replace that.)
#8 Indentations and heavy wrinkles driver side.
To be honest, I would consider all these pictures to be normal.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #943
Falundir

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
To be honest, I would consider all these pictures to be normal.
Unless I'm missing sarcasm, you have me confused. I've seen pics in this thread with less defined wear marks.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:09 PM   #944
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Unless I'm missing sarcasm, you have me confused. I've seen pics in this thread with less defined wear marks.
The only ones that are a bit excesive IMO are the ones right above the windows. I don't know if you have had the "tape TSB" done yet, but I think that will fix those. Your pictures are almost exactly what my top looks like now. I'm just waiting on my dealer to get the tape in to add to my car.

This is a canvas top and it is going to wrinkle, shrink, stretch and rub a little.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:32 AM   #945
jdec141c

Drives: 11 Camaro Vert 2SS/RS 6M Hurst
My top started getting the marks like his after the tape fix (the V shape) . the other rub marks are still there getting worse too.
jdec141c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #946
95birdible

Well day #8 of the car being in the shop waiting for parts and the Chevy rep calls me. Needless to say I am not happy having my car be in the shop for over 2 weeks in 2 months, 1 top replaced and the 2nd needing to be. Proceeds to tell me the tape fix and other TSB's should be working. I directed him to this site to take a look what all of us are saying. Also told him that you shouldn't need tape to fix a 40 thousand dollar car. Told him in no way am I getting it fixed until it is right. He asked what he wanted me to do. I told him give me a new car when the fix is finally in being that mine is going to bed as soon as I get it back from the dealership. He asked what the name of my selling dealer was so I told him. Don't know if it will get me anywhere but who knows. Also my dealership said they are not going to replace the top again until there is a permanent fix and I don't blame them. Why keep fixing something that is obviously broken. That would be like gluing the broken vase back together time after time. Enough of my rant for now. Good luck with all your top issues and if I get an update I'll chime back in. UGH!
"Green Flash"
Old 10-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #947
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Don't understand your dealer not wanting to replace the top again ?? This is how dealerships make money. Every time the do warranty service they get paid just as if you paid them. Is your dealer trying to go out of business ??
It doesn't sound like your dealership is talking to GM reps. The tape TSB is not online any more. I was told by my GM rep that the bracket trim is the fix for the rubbing. However the new tops need the TSB for sealing the windows to prevent the wind noise most people have.
You need to get a GM case number give it to the dealer then insist that they have a GM rep/tech come in for the repair. This has worked for me and it look like Drago also.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #948
evilive1138

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
The only ones that are a bit excesive IMO are the ones right above the windows. I don't know if you have had the "tape TSB" done yet, but I think that will fix those. Your pictures are almost exactly what my top looks like now. I'm just waiting on my dealer to get the tape in to add to my car.

This is a canvas top and it is going to wrinkle, shrink, stretch and rub a little.
FWIW - I gotta disagree with this. I have a 2001 Eclipse convertible that has been a daily driver for the last 11 years that is not one bit wrinkled. A little wear here and there, but not bad at all.
evilive1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #949
evilive1138

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS RS Convertible
Quote:
Just wanted to add my name to the list, 2012 45th Anni edition, so obviously one of the newer ones out there.
Out of curiosity, what was the build date on yours? I have a black 2012 that has almost the exact same wear marks and wrinkles. It was built on 8/4.
evilive1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #950
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
At risk of getting beaten... I almost gotta agree w Sux; wrinkles are inevitible in a folding canvas top; the wear marks by the windows are the only issue I see on the above 45th Ann. I've come to realize no matter how much we each paid, these cars aren't gonna be perfect forever, and, as much as I always hated reading it; I've started to buy into the "its a convertible, what do you expect" logic... (to a point.)

As for the Eclipse lasting- what type of material was the top made of? I'm no fabric expert, but its plain to me that different manufacturers use different materials, which I'm sure each have their own set of issues.

I'm 6 days into my latest top repair, and going strong. My top actually appears TIGHTER than the original, with ZERO rear wind noise at a steady 95 MPH... however, I do have a slight wrinkle near the driver door.

For those who haven't been through what I, and several others have; evaluate your "damage" carefully, it may never return to new form/fit... a few wrinkles, or fold marks are nothing compared to he cost, inconvenience and quality of replacement work.

Wear/rub marks are an issue, rest is just a snowball effect
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:32 PM   #951
95birdible

Wear and tear I understand after years of top up and down. Not a new top after 6 weeks on a 40k car. Then needing a new top after it. My dealer won't do it again out of good customer service to me. Why replace it again only to piss me off some more by losing my car for a week and having the top malfunction again? I told them I'll wait anyway. I'll bide my time until a fix is in or they take my car back. Even the dealer says the should give me a new car. And I'll reiterate my stance tha t my 95Birds top looked like new after 14 years and 102K on it when I sold it this May.
"Green Flash"
Old 10-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #952
Tstorm180

Drives: '11 Camaro SS Conv. + '06 Silverado
Took my car back to the dealer today to get the work done that was supposed to be done 2 wks ago. they replaced the cables on each side of the roof, and the rubber seals on each of the rear windows. I haven't put the top down again yet to see if the wrinkles and marks return, but noticed that i can now see that there is a gap between my headliner and the roof frame. I'll be back at the dealer Monday morning (for the 8th time).