Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
roderick2411

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Convertible
Fog Lights

Hoping you can help me out. So, I finally bought my SS convertible, and was noticing that my fog lights are not on. So, I tried everything I knew and could not figure out how to turn them on. I got the manual out and it shows I should have a push button inside my auto headlight button the left of my steering wheel on the dash panel. Well the turn button is there but there is no push button in the center. When I lock my doors my headlights flash so I know they work and I am just curious why they don't run. Any help or insight. I purchased the vehicle used and am curious if someone changed out my dash panel from like a bobo non fog light version. I did read that if my SS has HID, which it does, the fog lights replace out the daytime running lamps but I still can't figure out why I would not have the ability to turn them on or off. Any help thanks so much.
roderick2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
Casperadub70

Drives: 2014 1LE Camaro, 95 Z28 Camaro
For me the push button you are talking about is the turn button on the left. Push the middle of the circle
2014 1LE 2SS Camaro Recaro seats, Custom Cam, Kooks LT headers, CAI intake, Z/28 Spoiler, Z/28 Belly Pan, Z/28 Brake Air Ducts, Stainless Steel breaklines, BMR Toe Rods and Trailing Arms resulting in 482.49 RWHP
Casperadub70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
wayne watson

Drives: 2014 camaro ss ,1967 chevelle ss,
My lights come on when I push in on the light switch but I'm not sure if theyre all like that
Old 12-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
Arubberbaby
141LE

Drives: 14 AGM 1LE
What year is it? The '14's have the push button.
The older one's come on automatically as your DRL's and you need a harness to turn them on with your headlights.
BTW I have the harness you need I bought it four my 13 and do not need it as I now have a 14.
Arubberbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
djcfuzz
Do somethin fun every day

Drives: 2012 45th V6 RS M6
Prior to 2014 models if you have an RS/SS the fogs are not fogs at all but only DRLs. You will not have the fog switch as they are only DRLs. You can get an aftermarket harness to work with the headlights. Based on my research you can get an additional harness and switch to make the "fogs" work like fogs. This is a nuisance and engineering fail as is evidenced by it being resolved in 2014.
djcfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
roderick2411

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcfuzz View Post
Prior to 2014 models if you have an RS/SS the fogs are not fogs at all but only DRLs. You will not have the fog switch as they are only DRLs. You can get an aftermarket harness to work with the headlights. Based on my research you can get an additional harness and switch to make the "fogs" work like fogs. This is a nuisance and engineering fail as is evidenced by it being resolved in 2014.
Thank you. It is 2012 actually and the manual is misleading. As is the fact I have fog lights that are not actually fog lights. So I need a harness. Well ironically, I bought the car the Sat before Christmas and a non licensed driver hit it Christmas Eve, or I would probably not have noticed fog lights not being on. So, when it is at the body shop getting the new bumper cover installed I will see if I can't have them get me a harness installed so I can use them as fog lights. By chance do any of you know wth is up with the Convertibles not having a spare tire? I probably should've checked in to this before buying but didn't seem as much relevance but when I got checking I realized the hole that should have my spare houses my freaking battery. I had a 97 SS Convertible years ago and loved it, but don't recall having these issues haha. I am now curious if it is possible to buy a spare and put there, surely there is no room in the boot unless it fits in the hole. I had to load half my groceries in the back seat the other day. I did not realize the lack of room can only imagine how it will be when I go topless
Old 12-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
roderick2411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arubberbaby View Post
What year is it? The '14's have the push button.
The older one's come on automatically as your DRL's and you need a harness to turn them on with your headlights.
BTW I have the harness you need I bought it four my 13 and do not need it as I now have a 14.
how much for the harness and shipped to me in NC, and will it work on 2012 ? Let me see if my hubby wants to tackle this for me. Do you know how much of a pain in the rear it will be ? I mean I am clueless he is diesel mechanic but I take my truck to the dealer to be serviced, haha. He thinks I keep him too busy with stuff around house.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by roderick2411 View Post
Thank you. It is 2012 actually and the manual is misleading. As is the fact I have fog lights that are not actually fog lights. So I need a harness. Well ironically, I bought the car the Sat before Christmas and a non licensed driver hit it Christmas Eve, or I would probably not have noticed fog lights not being on. So, when it is at the body shop getting the new bumper cover installed I will see if I can't have them get me a harness installed so I can use them as fog lights. By chance do any of you know wth is up with the Convertibles not having a spare tire? I probably should've checked in to this before buying but didn't seem as much relevance but when I got checking I realized the hole that should have my spare houses my freaking battery. I had a 97 SS Convertible years ago and loved it, but don't recall having these issues haha. I am now curious if it is possible to buy a spare and put there, surely there is no room in the boot unless it fits in the hole. I had to load half my groceries in the back seat the other day. I did not realize the lack of room can only imagine how it will be when I go topless
Quote:
how much for the harness and shipped to me in NC, and will it work on 2012 ? Let me see if my hubby wants to tackle this for me. Do you know how much of a pain in the rear it will be ? I mean I am clueless he is diesel mechanic but I take my truck to the dealer to be serviced, haha. He thinks I keep him too busy with stuff around house.
Ok first of all you need to look in some of the threads that have a DIY on the harness. Your profile says you have a SS. Is it an RS (Do you have the HIDS). If you have the RS your fog lamps are DRLS. If not you have the regular fog lamps and should be able to push the middle of the lamp swich to turn them on. You can get the harness from many venders on the forum (2SSRS@GEN5DIY) for one. But basiclly you change the harness in the right front wheel well. Since you're going to have the bumper off it should be easy. It's a plug and play type harness. As far as a spare tire you should have pump in the trunk over the battery. If you bought the car new then you would have to have ordered one. $150. If you purchased used it should have had the pump. Hope this helped.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:53 PM   #9
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
these cars dont come with a spare just a air pump and fix a flat. only the V6 models do. You have a RS so the fogs are DRLs and when you ask the body shop about it they probably wont have a clue what your talking about. you can get the harness here http://www.gen5diy.com/PnP_harnesses...switch-control
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:07 PM   #10
roderick2411

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
these cars dont come with a spare just a air pump and fix a flat. only the V6 models do. You have a RS so the fogs are DRLs and when you ask the body shop about it they probably wont have a clue what your talking about. you can get the harness here http://www.gen5diy.com/PnP_harnesses...switch-control
Thank you. I am still a little shocked that they don't have spares, and more shocked I didn't or had not heard this before. I guess it isn't a real big selling point. No biggie at this point will buy full size and keep in garage. I appreciate your help. Am checking out the harness now. I have yet to even take to get an estimate but the insurance came out today and cut us check, so hopefully they aren't too far off. I am hoping I can have some stripes put on and pink black outs added while at the body shop. Had windows tinted day after I bought car. My hubby ordered me the Rally stripes and matching black out for emblems. So soon maybe they will be on it. I will check out that harness, probably after looking for spare
Old 12-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #11
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
if your bumper is coming off they could install your harness for you. you can get a spare tire kit here http://forums.ny5thgen.com/showthrea...Spare-Tire-Kit its a group buy
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:28 PM   #12
roderick2411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldman View Post
Ok first of all you need to look in some of the threads that have a DIY on the harness. Your profile says you have a SS. Is it an RS (Do you have the HIDS). If you have the RS your fog lamps are DRLS. If not you have the regular fog lamps and should be able to push the middle of the lamp swich to turn them on. You can get the harness from many venders on the forum (2SSRS@GEN5DIY) for one. But basiclly you change the harness in the right front wheel well. Since you're going to have the bumper off it should be easy. It's a plug and play type harness. As far as a spare tire you should have pump in the trunk over the battery. If you bought the car new then you would have to have ordered one. $150. If you purchased used it should have had the pump. Hope this helped.
I do have a SS, it is a 2SS, I bought used actually. Certified preowned, we usually buy new but I didn't want to trade my truck for a convertible so opted to buy used, and honestly did not even think about the spare. I do however have a pump which I laughed about. I seriously thought my husband was being funny. I have never owned a car without a spare from the factory. It does have the HIDs. So, I guess that is why no middle push button. Still think I would like my fog lights to run or have that option. Seems like it almost like owning a V6 with an appearance package. No offense if you own a V6. I just am thinking that is not logical at all. I believe you said you have had two new model Camaros. Let me ask you about the clutch. You may know. Seems like the 3rd day I drove it I cranked it up and let it warm up before leaving for work, 5-10mins later I got in car and clutch seemed to be at floor and would not go in to gear. It acted like it wanted to and the rear view camera even came on, but would not go in to gear. I was able to go through all the other gears (not moving in my driveway) so I called my husband who is a diesel mechanic he got in to gear and said tractors do it when they are cold sometimes maybe it would warm up and come back up. That afternoon still clutch was down. I googled and saw numerous posts. I called several dealers who claimed to know nothing of the issue. I played with clutch and was able to get back up and it was fine. Hasn't been priority because car hasn't been driven much since I was sick when lady hit the car and have just left parked in driveway. Are you familiar with this issue. Sorry to bombard you and appreciate your help.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:21 PM   #13
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Quote:
I do have a SS, it is a 2SS, I bought used actually. Certified preowned, we usually buy new but I didn't want to trade my truck for a convertible so opted to buy used, and honestly did not even think about the spare. I do however have a pump which I laughed about. I seriously thought my husband was being funny. I have never owned a car without a spare from the factory. It does have the HIDs. So, I guess that is why no middle push button. Still think I would like my fog lights to run or have that option. Seems like it almost like owning a V6 with an appearance package. No offense if you own a V6. I just am thinking that is not logical at all. I believe you said you have had two new model Camaros. Let me ask you about the clutch. You may know. Seems like the 3rd day I drove it I cranked it up and let it warm up before leaving for work, 5-10mins later I got in car and clutch seemed to be at floor and would not go in to gear. It acted like it wanted to and the rear view camera even came on, but would not go in to gear. I was able to go through all the other gears (not moving in my driveway) so I called my husband who is a diesel mechanic he got in to gear and said tractors do it when they are cold sometimes maybe it would warm up and come back up. That afternoon still clutch was down. I googled and saw numerous posts. I called several dealers who claimed to know nothing of the issue. I played with clutch and was able to get back up and it was fine. Hasn't been priority because car hasn't been driven much since I was sick when lady hit the car and have just left parked in driveway. Are you familiar with this issue. Sorry to bombard you and appreciate your help.
You must have mixed me up with someone else because I've only had one Camaro (2010) with a automatic. I haven't heard of any problems with the clutch from fellow Camaro owners in my club I'm with. Hopefully someone can chime in and help you with your problem. If not since it's a 2012 you've got, I'd take it back to a Chevy dealer unless the warranty has run out. Hope you get your problems fixed. Also I forgot about the SS's don't have a spare because of the Brembo brakes. Old age is getting to me. By the way I do have the spare tire. lol
Old 01-01-2014, 12:37 PM   #14
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
I have yet to even take to get an estimate but the insurance came out today and cut us check, so hopefully they aren't too far off.
You got a check from your insurance without having an estimate? That's very odd.

Good luck with the repairs and the fog harness.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote