Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Just got a Garmin to replace OnStar Turn by Turn

Just bought a Garmin Nuvi 270 Saturday, which I'll be returning and getting a Garmin Nuvi 3790 instead. The guys at Best Buy told me there was no difference between the two except lifetime maps....last time I'll trust an idiot at Best buy to actually know anything.

I love the 270, but want some of the extra features in the higher end model.

OnStar Navigation was OK if they routed you to the right place and could put up with the 5+ minutes of them trying to figure out common cities out here in Washington State. My biggest issue was how out of date the locations were for OnStar. I'd say 25% of the time, the place I was routed to either didn't exist on their system or the address was wrong.

I have an Android, and it is awesome as a GPS/Navigator...but only when in coverage. Since I was dumping OnStar Navigation (I kept the emergency stuff), I wanted something I could use ANYWHERE. The android won't load google maps when it's out of coverage, thus it's useless when you're traveling.

Though I'm replacing the Garmin 270, it's actually pretty cool. I love that it displays the speed limit, for the times when I'm not paying attention to all the speed limit changes on some highways. Unfortunately, it's showing 91mph as my top speed over the last few days, and I'm not sure how that happened. The advantage to having the Garmin is that I can pull up the maps at any time, and anywhere.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
I'm with ya. I have a Garmin. Tried On Star a few times but did not renew for the reasons you cited. I like the Garmin much better. I like all the different views I can toggle to - maps. line by line directions, recently visited, favorites, speeds, miles travelled, miles left to go - etc. - etc.
OnStar nav just didn't do enough to justify the money.
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #3
LadyT_SS
Christina

Drives: Red Jewel Tint 1SS
That's nice to know... I'm going to keep my garmin now!
LadyT_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #4
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
have a garmin also.. and I agree 100%. . . i dumped the turn by turn once my one year ran out.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Got me a garmin too with lifetime map updates. Onstar was useless for directions. Loved the phone but minutes cost too much.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
where are you mountin your garmins
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Mickey Thompson @25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
SFCamaroSS
Proud To Serve

Drives: 2011 CGM/SILVER 2SS W/RS Package
I also have a Garmin and got a pro clip center console mount for the Garmin. The Garmin picks up satellites just fine and the Garmin is down out of sight. I can see it just fine when I need to and it is not up in the already small windshield to glare at me at night. Here is a link for where I ordered the mount. They also have a hight mount which is pretty cool also.

http://www.proclipusa.com/default.as...41&p_year=2011

You also have to order the specific piece for the garmin that you have. Just search on the ProClip website
Old 12-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #8
G10
GForce

Drives: 2010 Honolulu Blue 2LT M6
I would commonly ask On Star about how to get to golf courses. Pretty easy and big destinations. They would often have trouble finding them. 2 seconds later I'd whip out my iphone, punch in the course name and I'm heading there. I don't quite understand why OnStar would be using a database different than Google. If I can punch something up so easy in google why can't OnStar? I understand that they may have some rules or something but that is for sure hindering their business if so. I got over OnStar at that point. With an Iphone... I find it to be pretty unneccessary. Safer YES... but neccessary... NO.
G10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:39 PM   #9
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Put mine on a mat mount on the dash & move it when I don't need it /when I get out (so idiots won't smash my window to steal it).
Old 12-13-2010, 05:39 PM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
well I have a Tom Tom.....and I NEVER used OnStar in my carmro, the time I used it in my caddy, it was a disaster.....I have relyed on my OWN GPS ever since.....just kept the SAFE AND SOUND part of OnStar, like Steve did.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #11
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharp View Post
where are you mountin your garmins
I'm mounting just to the right of the radio. I'll get a picture of it sometime. The stock tape that came with the Garmin never stuck, so I ended up getting some good 2 sided tape so the flat piece the suction cup mounts to is kind of at an angle. It is in a very good sightline though, just below the window/dash, and doesn't get in the way of the passenger.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:24 PM   #12
wullger
Supercharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Always had good luck with OnStar's navigation when I used MapQuest's "Send to OnStar" feature.

Appearance Mods:
Heritage Grille, ZL1 Replica Wheels
Performance Mods:
Flowmaster ARH Cat-Back Exhaust, ADM CAI, ADM L99-LS3 Conversion, ADM LSA Supercharger Kit, Lingenfelter GT9 Cam, Stainless Power Headers, Detroit Speed Sway Bars, ZL1 Fuel Pump

581 rwhp/535 lb/ft tq
wullger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #13
PHEOX

Drives: '06 Jeep Wrangler
Make sure to get some of the cool vehicles for the Garmin. We have a Camaro, a Jeep, an X Wing, Wall-E, etc.
PHEOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:32 PM   #14
y2k king

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
i just bought a Nuvi 3790t for the camaro before i got and then installed the double din and pioneer navigation. now i gotta see if they have a bike mount for the nuvi. right now i've got the garmin quest two on the bike.