Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 12:50 PM   #141
djw32

Drives: on blocks
Jeff,
How much does the KB blower weigh?
Old 01-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #142
Total_Perf_Eng

Drives: Corvette
Send a message via AIM to Total_Perf_Eng
They dont sound like that normally. At Idle and no boost, they are silent. The noise you are hearing is from lack of vacuum on a heavily cammed, or motor. It causes the bypass valve to close prematurely, and essentially bake the blower.

This is an easy fix when your familiar enough with these blowers to spot it. That car needs one of our "Zero Vacuum" bypass valves. With the new bypass valve, the valve stays fully open until the car reaches 0 vacuum. Then it closes. This allows for no mistakes, or blower heating issues at low/part throttle.

In heavily cammed, large motor builds, the bypass valve does not have sufficiant vacuum to hold the bypass blade open. It allows it to slightly close. By allowing this, the blower doesnt recirculate which in turns overheats the headunit. Eventually, the headunit will lock up, and destroy itself.

On new builds, when you inform your authorized installer of your intentions, the upgraded bypass is sent already on the kit at no charge. If you upgrade later, its only 89 bucks. But its alot cheaper than destroying a 2400 dollar head unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeecamaro View Post
good God. that whining sound would drive me batty. to each their own I guess.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #143
Total_Perf_Eng

Not ignorant at all. Its probably one of the most important things..

It boils down to a few things

1) Belt slip. Ask anyone with a TVS that is running higher boost, what kinds of belt control issues they have to deal with. Their now even having to switch to cogged drives. Running HUGE belt tensions, and cogged drives not only kills your parsitic losses, but has realy never been reccomended on road going vehicles. Cog's are meant on race cars, not street cars. Plus, is just one more thing you have t pay for. It has been discusses over and over.

2) Parasitic Loss.. Especially on a twin screw, the jack shaft, and gear drive soaks up dozens of additional horsepower. On twin screws, unlike an eaton style blower, they use true male and female rotors. They are only able to spin in one direction. By turning the blower around, now, not only do you have the losses associated with a jackshaft, but you have to run additional transmission gearing in the rear. The twin screw already uses 2 steel gears, now, you have to add a 3rd gear.

3) Traditional Look.. A top mount blower has been around longer than any other. There is something to be said about a bad azz blower sticking up on the top of your motor, watching that belt turn that bad boy.

So you sacrafice these things, 2 of which are MAJOR things, all to have the inlet at the front. Other than looks, it makes zero logical sense.

The rear inlet, can/will flow just as much, and even more in some cases, than a front mount inlet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
I'm trying hard to like it, but the rear inlet is really turning me off.

What is the reason for that? If it's not too much of an ignorant question to ask.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:54 PM   #144
Dans ls1

Drives: 1998 TA
Any pricing release yet?
Old 01-16-2010, 12:27 AM   #145
IConnection

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
TPE, U had alot of GTO guys really interested in a KB only to go over to the Corvette forum and basically say buh bye to the gto board?

It would be nice to hear why u just jumped ship on the GTO KB kit,I think it wouldve sold well?

Last edited by IConnection; 01-16-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #146
sykb47l

Drives: 73' VW Bug
So there is no way to run say 6 psi? Its my daily driver.

Don't you feel that detuning (so to speak) and running high boost is just a bandaid? It sounds like the kit isnt really designed for the camaro.

I had a kenne bell on my dakota 4.7l and loved it. But it was also my daily driver and that kit made 5.5 psi.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:33 PM   #147
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjectionConnection View Post
TPE, U had alot of GTO guys really interested in a KB only to go over to the Corvette forum and basically say buh bye to the gto board?

It would be nice to hear why u just jumped ship on the GTO KB kit,I think it wouldve sold well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneus View Post
That sounds like about the same amount of time it would take to get a long block from you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneus View Post
You want the long or short answer to that question?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullCopter View Post
Can you please provide proof of this statement? I am interested in build threads or dyno sheets.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeZNJ View Post
There's no proof, its a BS statemnet.Look deep before dealing with any vendor, the deeper you look, the more you will find. And in a lot of cases what you find you will not like. Look at a couple of vette forums, like digital corvettes and read the thread about tpe's lawsuit against the forum owner, for letting vette owners speak truthfully about vendors. (C6 section) We're all car lovers, no matter what you drive, and we should all talk/chat about the good, the bad, and the ugly. Hopefully saving someone money and aggreviation.
This is not the place for you guys to be doing this.
If you are here just to start trouble I suggest you leave before you get kicked out.
If you are here to talk about the Camaro you are more than welcome to stay.
We appreciate you guys letting us know about vendor issues you had, but this is not realated to either the Camaro or this site. We give all vendors the benefit of the doubt and a fresh start here. So unless you are here for something else other than bashing vendors, please leave.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:41 PM   #148
J-Dog

Drives: 2005 LPE Corvette - Stroked LS7
Has KB solved the heating issue with the LS motors? I watched an owner struggle here in Dallas with an early model in a Road Racer.

Also it would seem that a rear intake would make it harder to get cold air to the TB?

Old 01-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #149
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dog View Post
Also it would seem that a rear intake would make it harder to get cold air to the TB?

Why?
Old 01-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #150
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
This is not the place for you guys to be doing this.
If you are here just to start trouble I suggest you leave before you get kicked out.
If you are here to talk about the Camaro you are more than welcome to stay.
We appreciate you guys letting us know about vendor issues you had, but this is not realated to either the Camaro or this site. We give all vendors the benefit of the doubt and a fresh start here. So unless you are here for something else other than bashing vendors, please leave.
Couldn't agree more.

If you all would like to contact the staff of this site privately to explain your situation then you may.

Otherwise keep your complaints off our boards..
Old 01-16-2010, 06:35 PM   #151
J-Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
Why?
Close to the firewall, above the headers, is an underhood hotspot.

As you can see the intake appears to create a ceiling and funnel heat toward the TB.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:47 PM   #152
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
does anyone think these superchargers look kinda "blah"?

I know I do. I much prefer the way the Maggie's look.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:34 PM   #153
J-Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total_Perf_Eng View Post
See, if you talk to a mustang guy, they want their cars to go as fast as possible. They dont sit there and complain about how much "Bling" it has, or wether or not the hood changes the aerodynamic affects of the car. Unfortunately, in other application of GM cars, they care more about how pretty the hood looks, or wether or not they add 2.1lbs of weight, and could care a less that the car now has 2 to 3 times the power..
As an LPE Corvette owner about to buy a new Camaro, I call BS on this statement. Most Corvette owners I know are Chevy guys first and I haven't spoken to a single one that doesn't like the new Camaro.

As for aerodynamic effect of anything exterior on the car, I have been over 200mph in my car several times. If you have as much horsepower as this system is capable of making and plan of doing any top end runs, you should be concerned about Aero or you can get in serious trouble.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #154
Total_Perf_Eng

That is the benifit of having multiple S/C choices. If you dont like one, you have 4 or 5 other companies to look into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeecamaro View Post
does anyone think these superchargers look kinda "blah"?

I know I do. I much prefer the way the Maggie's look.

Last edited by Total_Perf_Eng; 01-17-2010 at 04:19 PM.

Closed Thread