Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 01-09-2014, 01:59 PM   #71
Dr40oz

Drives: 2014 Rubicon X
Quote:
Originally Posted by n116ebo View Post
CFD on the forum sells the shifter with taps on side. I shift with my thumb, up or down. I really love the taps on the shifter. To me the taps on the steering wheel is hard to shift while turning. Happy cruising!
Easy fix for that. One doesn't shift during a turn. You shift before or after but never during.
Dr40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #72
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Driving around town this morning using mine and listening to my exhaust I say, Yes it has a real use, it makes me smile.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:09 PM   #73
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
The only things really made for tapping are beer kegs and tang

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:19 PM   #74
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr40oz View Post
Easy fix for that. One doesn't shift during a turn. You shift before or after but never during.
Not necessarily a rule of thumb... if I had to find one complaint about the tapshift, it would be that when I am shifting on the of the very tight and winding roads in my mountain area (some turns will take 270 degrees of wheel, whether taking it fast or taking it slow), and if I'm wanting to shift during that turn--- during which slopes and road angles do change--- it's difficult to follow the right button around the wheel. I COULD shift only before or after the turn... but then I'd be running in the wrong gear through half of it.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:27 PM   #75
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
I don't know why people think you can't shift in a turn, these are not manuals where you are loading and unloading your drive train. They shift through turns when in "D" or "S" so why not with tapshift.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #76
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
I don't know why people think you can't shift in a turn, these are not manuals where you are loading and unloading your drive train. They shift through turns when in "D" or "S" so why not with tapshift.
I think they are talking about the shifters being on the steering wheel that when going through a turn it can be difficult to find the correct paddle to shift with.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #77
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I think they are talking about the shifters being on the steering wheel that when going through a turn it can be difficult to find the correct paddle to shift with.
I see a lot of these comments from the manual guys, I don't think they are referring to ease of access to the buttons.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #78
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac130e View Post
Guessing the Tapshift feature is more of an enjoyment/have to have thing then something to actually use on a daily basis.
Haven't touched it yet, and really see not need to use it.
So if you are using it, is it just for fun..or real daily use?

Thx
Yeah more for enjoyment. Sometimes I will shift the car up a gear for lower Rpms
Or
From a 40 roll have the car in 2nd gear and hit the gas - haven't done it in awhile but it's fun
Old 01-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #79
Mr pogo

Drives: 96 Imp SS, 13 Camaro 2SS AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
I do not have this system, but I do have some questions. In our '69 drag car, we have a manual valve body turbo 400, and you can upshift or down shift as you please. That means you can downshift and pop the motor just like letting the clutch out without rev matching. Does the Tap Shift system do that? Does it rev match on the down shift, or can you do that manually? I guess I find it a bit useless if you can not rev match on down shifts (either by it doing it or the driver), but it very well may do this. And if you only want to drag race, it might be a great choice since you only would be up shifting.
on the L99 it rev matches when you tapshift down.
when you are in third and come to a stop without downshifting, it defaults to second gear and does rev match by itself depending on how fast you come to a stop.
not sure if it will rev match on its own in higher gears or if nannies off and competition mode affects that.
if you try to downshift to a lower gear that will overrev the engine the dash will display shift denied.

I use CFDs pistolgrip shifter for 99% driving.
the fsctory tapshifts shouldve been column mounted like ferrari, only usefull going in a straight line.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #80
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
I see a lot of these comments from the manual guys, I don't think they are referring to ease of access to the buttons.
I guess they are just giving their opinion.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #81
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr pogo View Post
on the L99 it rev matches when you tapshift down.
when you are in third and come to a stop without downshifting, it defaults to second gear and does rev match by itself depending on how fast you come to a stop.
not sure if it will rev match on its own in higher gears or if nannies off and competition mode affects that.
if you try to downshift to a lower gear that will overrev the engine the dash will display shift denied.

I use CFDs pistolgrip shifter for 99% driving.
the fsctory tapshifts shouldve been column mounted like ferrari, only usefull going in a straight line.
So are the paddles wheel or column mounted? I would think having them on the wheel would be a benefit for shifting if the wheel was in a turned position.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #82
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I guess they are just giving their opinion.
Their opinion sucks LOL, that's just my opinion
Old 01-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #83
Mr pogo

Drives: 96 Imp SS, 13 Camaro 2SS AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
So are the paddles wheel or column mounted? I would think having them on the wheel would be a benefit for shifting if the wheel was in a turned position.
wheel mounted.
not good for curves where you want to focus on the road and not having to look at the steering wheel everytime you shift.
if they were on the column you can shift with eyes on the road without worrying about a wrong shift.
same applies to CFD shifter.
always in same place and can use it while eyes focused on road.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:17 PM   #84
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr pogo View Post
wheel mounted.
not good for curves where you want to focus on the road and not having to look at the steering wheel everytime you shift.
if they were on the column you can shift with eyes on the road without worrying about a wrong shift.
same applies to CFD shifter.
always in same place and can use it while eyes focused on road.
I see what you are saying.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote