Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-19-2009, 10:00 PM   #57
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCamaro View Post
closer to at least 60k and upwards of 100k a year.
If you're talking in terms of yearly pay, you'd have to go to the guys with 30+ years of seniority to get even close to that figure. The most my dad ever brought home was $90k/year, and that was back when they worked overtime whenever they wanted to.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:53 AM   #58
dbotsfordtat

Drives: 2016 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
That was your first mistake...I'm not saying there's any 'good' station to watch, but Fox? Good lord....

That's FALSE...no room for error. The highest estimates (also misleading), have wages, benefits, AND retiree benefits (hence the misleading part) have the price at ~$75/hr. I bet you've also heard of these evil 6-digit yearly pay...Guess what? It's called senior employees plus overtime, and it's not a new concept. It turns out that factories like to pay less people more, than more people less...they'll keep one guy on for lots of overtime hours, and send a few others home for the night...don't ask me why...just realize that this is not common practice, and all UAW workers aren't making six-digits.

Also false, and what does it matter? Am I better than my neighbor because I went to college? Please. MOST UAW workers went to some sort of a trade school to learn certain applied skills. You may be surprised to learn that, but it's true.

GM, through the mid 1900s to the 80s was making a healthy profit and living the high life. As employees, the UAW bargained for higher wages and benefits to reflect that time of prosperity. Unfortunately, they kept those benefits and wages well into times of loss...So yes, GM did get into this situation. However, don't think they were foolish to do it in the firstplace. They were doing well when the UAW got what they HAD.(more on "had" later)

Would you? Surely...it's true. But how would you feel if your employer said "we're going to cut your pay 50% because we can. Deal with it, and have a nice day."

Anyway; my comment about "had". Negotiated and ratified in 2007, the UAW agreed on a plan to transfer the entire health-care burden off of GM, and onto their own shoulders. This was called VEBA and it was supposed to take effect in 2010. This may have been delayed or changed slightly what with the current government loan situation. But in any event, it stands to save GM billions of dollars a year.
Next; in that same contract, GM and the UAW agreed to cut pay for new employees from $35 and hour to about $14. Okay? That's more than half. Benefits were reduced, to my knowledge...and they bought out tens of thousands of workers. While at first it seems like they are throwing away millions to get rid of these people, it's actually a good way to replace close-to-retirement workers with lower-paid, entry-level workers.
Finally, the actual pay + benefits, as per GM, of UAW employees is somewhere around $35/hr. NOT 70-something. That higher number is including retiree costs, which is misleading because you need to understand something first: GM has employed tens of millions of employees in this country for 100 years. Toyota, Honda, etc...have barely been here for 30, and don't even have fraction as many employees. That burden is nobody's fault. It's simply a factor of time, and scale.

You might think I'm pro union after all that. I'd like to clarify that I'm not; I simply understand SOME (most definitely not all) of the complexities and misnomers surrounding this issue. The cold-hard fact is that General Motors and the UAW have actually made great progress in the direction that most people want to see them go.
+100, very well written, but I don't understand your anti-union remarks. UAW has lots of room for improvement, but do you believe things would be better for workers at GM or America as a whole without Unions?
dbotsfordtat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #59
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbotsfordtat View Post
+100, very well written, but I don't understand your anti-union remarks. UAW has lots of room for improvement, but do you believe things would be better for workers at GM or America as a whole without Unions?
Most of their original purpose has been fulfilled (fair compensation, good working conditions, etc) and now they serve the interests of the union, not the workers or the company.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:07 PM   #60
AngryAmish

Drives: Impala
Debatable. Sometimes true, but very debatable. It depends alot on the industry you are talking about. There are still people heatstroking in the warehousing industry because some employers will not put in the measely 5 minutes you are supposed to get during the summer months for heat exaustion every hour.

Trust me, I file at least 5 complaints a week with OSHA in the summer, and those are just the people smart enough to break the time formula down when checking their standards. If everyone did that, I'd be filing over 400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Most of their original purpose has been fulfilled (fair compensation, good working conditions, etc) and now they serve the interests of the union, not the workers or the company.
AngryAmish is offline   Reply With Quote