Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-01-2014, 07:12 PM   #1
Arkios

Drives: 2015 Summit White 1SS
Newly installed Roto-Fab - that GROWL!

So I finally got around to ordering an intake... and now I'm questioning why I waited so long!

I was primarily looking for the best sounding CAI and after doing some research, I picked up a Roto-Fab intake from Dynosteve of RDP (who's a great guy to deal with btw). Now onto my review...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ease of installation: 9/10
Instructions were very straight forward, I only needed a screw driver, a ratchet and 3 sockets. The hardest part was removing the stock air box. Took less than an hour, and that was with me taking my time.

Looks and aesthetics: 10/10
IMO, Roto-Fab the best looking intake available. I ordered the heat shield in white to match my car, and also opted for the dry-filter due to ease of maintenance. Coincidently, the dry-filter's material is also white. Overall the system matched my black and white theme perfectly!

Noticed performance increase: 6/10
Car felt a little more responsive, and butt-dyno told me she was accelerating a little quicker, but nothing really that earth shattering. There are probably better bang-for-your-buck mods out there for performance.

Cold Air-iness: 8/10
Using the Torque app and a bluetooth obd-II plug-in, my intake air temps were consistently between 2F and 10F above outside ambient air (on the cooler side when I was mashing the gas and moving quickly, on the warmer side when sitting at idle at a red light). The temp ranges from the old stock air box were a bit higher; I used to get around 7F warmer when moving.

MPG: ??/10
I've heard that better airflow SHOULD help increase your MPG. The problem is, that this thing sound so good, I've been hammering the gas everywhere I go just to hear it. My MPG has recently taken a nose dive because of it

Sound: 10/10
Its worth it for this reason alone! I had a Dynomax VT axle-back, which sounded pretty decent before. Quiet and drone free at lower cruising RPMs, and able to scream like an exotic at WOT. Since adding the intake, the sound has become noticeably deeper and throatier when the engine is under load.

Its not too obvious when revving in neutral, or just cruising at a constant speed. You can hear it a little bit when accelerating in 1st, but nothing too jaw dropping... But once you start pulling in 2nd gear and up... Oh man, the fun begins!

Hard accelerations, from 2k to 5k RPM sounds awesome!
Push it hard above 5k RPM and... well... sploosh!

Listen for yourself! Here is a video I took today with my smart phone mounted up on my windshield.
Attached Images

Traded in my V6 for a V8. She looks pretty similar, but sounds a whole lot different!

Performance Mods:
3.91 rear-dif gears, Solo J-pipe axle-back exhaust, New Era Performance OTR intake, Vitesse throttle controller

Cosmetic / Ergonomic Mods:
SRP racing pedals, APEX skip-shift eliminator, RPI stealth splash guards, Plasti-dipped wheels and bowtie inserts,
Matte black hood spears, rear copo spears, "Le Mans" hash marks, gills, and smoked tail lights / side markers

Last edited by Arkios; 09-01-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Arkios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:20 PM   #2
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
That GROWL!!!

Nice review. Sounds great in the video.

What made you go with the dry filter?

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 09-01-2014 at 11:05 PM.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:46 PM   #3
Arkios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
That GROWL!!!

Nice review. Sounds great in the video.

What made you go with the dry filter?
Thanks!

I figured, the hp gained from any of the higher quality intakes on a mostly stock V6 (no FI, no spray, no major engine work, etc) is not going to be a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. The difference between an oil and dry filter will probably amount to maybe 1 or 2 hp... not really noticeable.

My car is my daily driver. Its a lot of fun and I turn heads, but she is no drag strip queen. Trading a couple horses for simplicity of maintenance is a no brainer. All I have to do to knock 85% of the crud off the filter is simply give it a few taps with every oil change. No need to soak it in cleaners or solvents, no need to rinse and dry, no worries about over oiling and gunking up the MAF...

Hell, if I really want to get crazy, I can hit it with a shop-vac for 96% clean, or scrub it down with regular old soap and water for 100%.

Also, did I mention that the white dry filter matches my car?

Traded in my V6 for a V8. She looks pretty similar, but sounds a whole lot different!

Performance Mods:
3.91 rear-dif gears, Solo J-pipe axle-back exhaust, New Era Performance OTR intake, Vitesse throttle controller

SRP racing pedals, APEX skip-shift eliminator, RPI stealth splash guards, Plasti-dipped wheels and bowtie inserts,
Matte black hood spears, rear copo spears, "Le Mans" hash marks, gills, and smoked tail lights / side markers
Old 09-02-2014, 07:36 AM   #4
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
far as i know, dry filter will not give you anymore horses then an oiled one. i know my oiled filter is red but it will change to a bluish color over time, i would assume the white filter will also change color over time.

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #5
Arkios

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmginc View Post
far as i know, dry filter will not give you anymore horses then an oiled one.
I think its the opposite actually. I believe the oiled filters are better for performance and allow better air flow. I could be wrong though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmginc View Post
i know my oiled filter is red but it will change to a bluish color over time, i would assume the white filter will also change color over time.
Hmm, I sure hope it doesn't change colors... or at least if it does, a quick cleaning will revert it back to white.

Performance Mods:

Old 09-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #6
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
Nice review I've really been considering a rotofab
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #7
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
i have a rotofab that i need to install with my catch can. its sittin in the trunk. great review OP
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:46 PM   #8
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
Sounds very nice!

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #9
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Haha we have the exact same setup! I have Dynomax VT and Rotofab intake as well. Also, the oiled is better for performance. But, many people do not want to deal with the hassle. I JUST cleaned mine for the 1st time yesterday. I'm wondering if it's dry lol, i'm kinda scared.
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #10
Arkios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon War Horse View Post
Sounds very nice!
Thanks! When it comes to sound, you V8 guys are a tough crowd to please, especially with the sound out of a V6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarolover85 View Post
Haha we have the exact same setup! I have Dynomax VT and Rotofab intake as well. Also, the oiled is better for performance. But, many people do not want to deal with the hassle. I JUST cleaned mine for the 1st time yesterday. I'm wondering if it's dry lol, i'm kinda scared.
Nice! Its a pretty good Daily Driver setup: its drone-free and not obnoxiously loud when driving around at <3k RPM, but it makes itself known and sounds pretty good at WOT.

Your filter is a red "oiled" filter, and not a white "dry" filter, right? Did you re-oil the filter after you cleaned it? It usually takes less than an hour for the oiled filters to dry... Unless you really hosed it down with oil. If you did over-oil it, you might get some warning lights popping up and might have to clean your MAF in the near future.

I'm lazy and will just stick to a dry filter in order to avoid all that possible trouble. She's no track car, I don't have to squeeze every horse that I can out of her lol.

Performance Mods:

Old 09-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #11
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkios View Post
Thanks! When it comes to sound, you V8 guys are a tough crowd to please, especially with the sound out of a V6!
Cold air intakes make a huge sound difference. I know it did on my car, and that really sounds good on yours! I have seen some of the V6 cars with the NPP that do not sound like a V6 at all.

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #12
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Look great.

Almost like the OEM Z/28 one....
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:45 PM   #13
rgrmoreira13

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
You really can't beat that sound. All I have is the Roto-fab CAI and I loved it ever since I got it. This is the best upgrade for the LFX engine.

TSP Stage 2 Boosted Cam 227/235 at 114 LSA
Fore Innovation Triple pump staged (Walbro 342 primary and 2x Walbro 450 secondaries)
Procharger D1x with a 3.85 pulley
ID1050x Injectors
Flex Fuel Sensor
Monster LT1 Twin Disk Clutch
Holley Sniper Efi Intake Manifold
NW 103mm Boosted TB
747rwhp at 12psi on E85
rgrmoreira13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #14
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Good review! Roto-Fab makes great products.

In regards to oil vs dry filter; The oiled filters flow better.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote