Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-21-2015, 08:10 PM   #1
Mike_G

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Anyone running ridetech coilovers with BMR sways in the front?

Please let me know if anyone is running this set up. I have been having a few problems first with a set of stripped endlinks and now still getting noise from the new set of endlinks in the front.

If anyone is running these with no issues or also if anyone had to do anything to get them to work please let me know.

Noise if definitely endlink related. When first set stripped when I tried to tighten the nuts down more to quiet them up they made a horrible clunk. I disconnected the endlinks and noise went away.

Ridetech sent me a new set of endlinks (great customer service here so far), snugged them up and seemed good, fairly quiet. After a couple weeks getting clunking again. Checked to see if the nuts on endlinks were still tight and tightened them a little more. Just over the 36ft/lbs (if I remember the torque value correct). Helped for a day or so and then noise is coming back yet again. Sounds the worst when going over uneven surfaces at slow speeds. It was determined to be endlinks as the noise stops of you disconnect them. Sways have been in for a while with the previous set of coilovers that were on the car.

Obnly other thought I could come up with is the endlink shaft has a non threaded portion near the joint that extends into the sway hole. This is close to being the same thickness as the sway bar. Could this be going all the way through and the nut be bottoming out on this? Could I need a washer on here?

If anyone is running this set up please let me know if it is working with no issues.

Use to have
2010 Camaro SS - ECS SC 1500, Kooks LTH + HFC, Corsa, CTS-V brakes, Detroit Speed Coilovers, BMR sways (FE4 conversion), DSE endlinks, BMR toe rods and trailing arms, Forgestar F14's
Mike_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:44 AM   #2
Nighthawk89

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2Ss M6
Is this thread about coilovers or endlinks?
Nighthawk89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:40 AM   #3
Mike_G

both. When running ridetech coilovers you have to use their endlinks. Looking for anyone running this combo and if they had issues with ridetech endlinks in combo with bmr sways making noise.

Use to have
2010 Camaro SS - ECS SC 1500, Kooks LTH + HFC, Corsa, CTS-V brakes, Detroit Speed Coilovers, BMR sways (FE4 conversion), DSE endlinks, BMR toe rods and trailing arms, Forgestar F14's
Old 09-24-2015, 05:35 PM   #4
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
I fixed my Ridetech noise by replacing them with 1LE struts and BMR 1" springs. I'm using Pedders endlinks that I had from my Xa setup--they're quiet and durable. Nothing I tried on the Ridetechs worked--noise wise. The ride and performance was terrific, but the noises drove me crazy. Sounded like loose lumber in the rear and clickity-clack up front. I think the noise comes from the lack of rubber in any of the Ridetech mounting points. Makes great performance, but not good quiet. The front endlinks look like works of art, but the design lends itself to noise.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:30 PM   #5
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
Please let me know if anyone is running this set up. I have been having a few problems first with a set of stripped endlinks and now still getting noise from the new set of endlinks in the front.

If anyone is running these with no issues or also if anyone had to do anything to get them to work please let me know.

Noise if definitely endlink related. When first set stripped when I tried to tighten the nuts down more to quiet them up they made a horrible clunk. I disconnected the endlinks and noise went away.

Ridetech sent me a new set of endlinks (great customer service here so far), snugged them up and seemed good, fairly quiet. After a couple weeks getting clunking again. Checked to see if the nuts on endlinks were still tight and tightened them a little more. Just over the 36ft/lbs (if I remember the torque value correct). Helped for a day or so and then noise is coming back yet again. Sounds the worst when going over uneven surfaces at slow speeds. It was determined to be endlinks as the noise stops of you disconnect them. Sways have been in for a while with the previous set of coilovers that were on the car.

Obnly other thought I could come up with is the endlink shaft has a non threaded portion near the joint that extends into the sway hole. This is close to being the same thickness as the sway bar. Could this be going all the way through and the nut be bottoming out on this? Could I need a washer on here?

If anyone is running this set up please let me know if it is working with no issues.
Can you post a picture(s)?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:17 PM   #6
Mike_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Can you post a picture(s)?
I can but have to get the car up in the air to take some. Need to find the time to do it. Anything specific that you would want to see?

Use to have
Old 09-24-2015, 08:23 PM   #7
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
I am not familiar with the part in question. That said, the threaded end should be in the up position if it is a stock like link.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:43 AM   #8
Ridetechbret

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by My 5th View Post
I fixed my Ridetech noise by replacing them with 1LE struts and BMR 1" springs. I'm using Pedders endlinks that I had from my Xa setup--they're quiet and durable. Nothing I tried on the Ridetechs worked--noise wise. The ride and performance was terrific, but the noises drove me crazy. Sounded like loose lumber in the rear and clickity-clack up front. I think the noise comes from the lack of rubber in any of the Ridetech mounting points. Makes great performance, but not good quiet. The front endlinks look like works of art, but the design lends itself to noise.
Youre thinking the noise was coming from the end links, not the struts/shocks then?
Did you try disconnecting the endlinks completely to see the effect on the noise? Not being familiar with the BMR swaybars, i'm wondering if possibly their endlink holes are slightly larger than our endlinks, thus allowing some slop/noise. It is common for aftermarket companies (and GM) to revise these details without notice or notification.
Also, did you have the bearing upper strut mount or the rubber bushing? Some customers are sensitive to the slight increase in nvh of the upper bearing mount. They are interchangeable so fixing that is no problem.
Ridetechbret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 03:20 PM   #9
Mike_G

I did disconnect end links and the noise goes away so assume they is the issue. Looks like I might get some parts from bmr to put their end links back on and see if the issue goes away. Will update if I can try that.

Use to have

Last edited by Mike_G; 09-28-2015 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:09 PM   #10
Ridetechbret

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
I did disconnect end links and the noise goes away so assume they is the issue. Looks like I might get some pArts for. But to put their end links back on and see if the issue goes away. Will update if I can try that.
Good (kinda) that points to the endlink connection as the culprit. Can you get me the diameter of the holes in the bar? Sonds like there might be some variance in the hole sizes over the years or from manufacturer to manufacturer. We might be able to make some adapter bushings to properly mate the bar and the link to eliminate the noise.
Ridetechbret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:43 PM   #11
Hotrod76

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I am having the same issue.I two have BMR sway bars I just installed mine not even a week ago and they were popping on the second day have talked to Josh at Ridetech and I sent him a video still haven't heard anything back from him yet
Hotrod76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:01 AM   #12
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Not yet, but planning to buy Ridetech coilovers in the spring. Sounds like I'm going to have issues. Might have to think twice on that.

Last edited by Merc; 09-28-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:46 AM   #13
Mike_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridetechbret View Post
Good (kinda) that points to the endlink connection as the culprit. Can you get me the diameter of the holes in the bar? Sonds like there might be some variance in the hole sizes over the years or from manufacturer to manufacturer. We might be able to make some adapter bushings to properly mate the bar and the link to eliminate the noise.
I will see what I can do to get a measurement of the holes.

Use to have
Old 09-28-2015, 11:57 PM   #14
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
My sway bars are Pfadt. I don't think there was a sway bar hole size problem. We tried everything to isolate the noise. Up front most of the noise was from the endlinks, but some was still there from the shock mounts. In the rear we found one bad bearing/bushing. Replacing it had no affect on the noise. I think all of the shocks were, or may have been replaced at one time or another. After about 20+ hours on the shocks JDP reduced the noise substantially, but they were still noisy about 33% of the time. In the end the performance just didn't outweigh the noise and I had to go a different route. I've got no complaints about Ridetech support, they were great.

I had only one other complaint about the Ridetechs. The design wouldn't allow enough camber adjustment to give adequate clearance for my new 10" wide Forgelines with the 295's. The tires rubbed on the bottom spring and shock body. I had to put a 1/4" spacer to clear the lower spring which put the tires out too much and they hit the fenders, slicing the edge of the tread...not fun. With the 1LE shocks and BMR springs there's no clearance problem as the tire is beneath the spring mount. No problems with rear tire/shock clearance.