Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-09-2017, 10:40 AM   #1
Gossamer

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
My upgrades and my thoughts.

This will be a LONG post, sorry but hopefully this helps with some answers in one thread.

So late this June I picked myself a 2012 V6 Camaro Convertible with the RS package.

This car had just shy of 19,000 miles, was clean as a 5 year old car could be. It's an A- with very few flaws.

Car was 100% stock, I knew it wasn't staying that way very long.

First mod was the VTC controller. Simple install, inexpensive and easy to find cheap used. Can cause DIC codes from what I hear but that's not been my experience yet. It's a WOW this fun mod to have. I give it a 5 of 5.

Second was the horribly long search for exhaust. It's good to have options, but it's a detriment for TOO MANY options. Few of these upgrades are what I would 'cheap'. I was dying for the ability to find some locals that had these V6's and altered exhausts. No dice. So I listened to dozens and dozens of videos, they all kind of sounded similar. It's not a great way to research. Then it came to pricing. Lots of options there, I wanted stainless, I wanted 'factory looking tips', I wanted a good sound.

I ended up with MRT V2.0 axleback. On a scale of 1-5, I'd give these a solid 4. They sound good, very little drone, look nice, install was done for me, but it's a simple task with basic hand tools if you're so inclined.

I say go for this mod, you know you want it, they're worth more in weight reduction than performance.

Third was a cold air induction. There are threads all over the place of brands, looks, prices etc. I got lucky, found a used CAI brand with 2 filters for an excellent price. Super easy install, looks nice, has a nice sound and it does give you a feel of better throttle response. I also saw a little boost in MPG for normal driving. This is a must for those that want a little more oomph and the classic air cleaner sound. Mod report, 4.5 of 5.

Fourth I got my hands on a Vmax ported throttle. This is hands down the easiest mod you can do. 1 intake clamp 4 bolts and 1 electrical connector. Less than 15 minutes to perform. Personal results however, well, I did feel a bit better throttle response so considering cost and ease of install, go for it. Smoother airflow is key and that's what this does. Mod report, 3 of 5.

Now for the two big installs. The JACFAB ported intake and 3/4" intake spacer. These two pieces were the most expensive purchases yet, and the 'hardest' to install. That being said, pricing is fair and the install isn't that challenging with very good notes being provided. Took me at a snails pace, with some interruptions less than 2 hours start to finish. It seems daunting but it's really a simple task, just takes a little longer than most other mods. I wanted to really feel a difference with these mods. However traffic kept me from mostly playing around yesterday(Sunday drivers). The only thing I can report is that it seemed to have changed my exhaust note to a deeper tone, thats a good thing. It didn't give me that stump pulling power feeling that I hoped for though. I can report a raise in fuel economy again though under normal driving. However it almost felt like I was starving for fuel once i hit 4500rpm. I'm thinking with all these mods I may need to add a bit of fuel with a tuner. I now need to research those. Once again I'll give it as a good mod since cost wise it's not bad, install wise, a little challenging but far from difficult. Mod report, 3.5 of 5.

There's tons of other mods out there, these are the most basic, easiest installs and seem to be the most popular.

From what I saw of the intake valves at 22,500 miles, I don't need a catch can. My valves looked great. I did see a little oil around some of the openings but nothing that brought me any level of concern. However I think people that are constantly running hard, high RPM's, running track days or 1/4 miles a lot may see benefit. In my world where I only occasionally see's some spirited driving and the previous owner who probably didn't even know what a full throttle run is, you can probably live without this device but that's entirely up to you. I'm not installing at this point. I've attached some pictures, it really wasn't easy to get go angles. I gave up after a bit because I was more interested in my 'go fast goodies installation' and playing then pictures since I know the catch can is a hot bed of argument.
Attached Images

Gossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:44 PM   #2
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Valves look real good , what I can see of them Goss. It might take a couple tanks of gas for the ecu to get a good handle on the intake mods. I know my experience with the spacers and the ported mani was there wasn't that big change right off the bat, there was some but as time went by, like two to three weeks, I did notice a big difference in the 1/2 - 3/4 throttle, as this was much better than before. Give us an update in a month or so..
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Very nice write up. I am a firm believer in building or modifying vehicles to suit your taste and personality.

During my many years as a LEO I drove Chevrolet Caprice cruisers at least until about 2000 when I was forced to turn in my high mileage Caprice for a new Ford! YUK!

Anyways, during 94-96 I fell in love with the civilian version of our cruisers, the Impala SS. Then during 96 I learnt Arlington, TX was closing down the Caprice 9C1 and Impala SS plants due to declining sales. I knew I had to get my tail in gear and get a 96.

Once I got the 96 I truly understood why sales were declining, they didn't build these cars for the motor head enthusiasts. OK... let's take this beautiful car apart and build it the way I think it should have been built. Body has actually been of the frame, there the entire drivetrain was updated. From the factory the Lt1 put out less HP than our V6 Camaro engines, that is just plain wrong. Spent some good money on rebuilding the engine that now has about 425 HP to the wheels. Oh, did I mention I had to get rid of that weak link automatic transmission, she now sports a six speed backed with GM 373 gears. Removed and upgraded the entire suspension system, coil overs shocks, tubular control arms with sway bars big enough to choke a horse.

Over the years she had many other professional modifications and I still have the girl. as always she stays inside and covered, showing just over 9K on the clock.

Keep up the good work and build it like you are going to keep it for ever.

Larry
Old 10-09-2017, 05:00 PM   #4
Gossamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Camaro View Post
Give us an update in a month or so..
Yes I expected dirty caked up valves, that wasn't the case.

Also in a month or so the car will put up for the winter.

Guess i'll have to revisit in the spring.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:42 PM   #5
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
If the previous owner drove it very easy, I wonder how the initial break-in was done? They say an easy break-in makes for a future oil burner because the rings don't seat correctly. How does she do on oil?

Yeah, those valves look super clean for 22k miles. Either the catch can is mostly snake oil or maybe an induction cleaning or seafoam treatment was performed before you bought it?
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #6
Gossamer

No noticeable oil usage in the 3500 or so miles ivr driven it.

I've not babied it though lol.

Supposedly sea foam doesn't work on DI engines. However he always went to the dealer for his oil changes from the records.

The oil burner thing is a myth from my experiences.

Also catch can I think has applications but only if you do a lot of spirited driving
Old 10-09-2017, 07:50 PM   #7
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Yes I expected dirty caked up valves, that wasn't the case.

Also in a month or so the car will put up for the winter.

Guess i'll have to revisit in the spring.
A couple weeks should do the trick. Lean on it little, let ecu adapt to the mods under acceleration. Mine will be taken a 4 month nap soon also. Don't be afraid to run it up into higher rev zone, as Bruce Springsteen famously said," Use it, that's what it's there for!"
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:33 PM   #8
Slvr-camaro15

Drives: 2017 zl1 ,2010 SS /RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
This will be a LONG post, sorry but hopefully this helps with some answers in one thread.

So late this June I picked myself a 2012 V6 Camaro Convertible with the RS package.

This car had just shy of 19,000 miles, was clean as a 5 year old car could be. It's an A- with very few flaws.

Car was 100% stock, I knew it wasn't staying that way very long.

First mod was the VTC controller. Simple install, inexpensive and easy to find cheap used. Can cause DIC codes from what I hear but that's not been my experience yet. It's a WOW this fun mod to have. I give it a 5 of 5.

Second was the horribly long search for exhaust. It's good to have options, but it's a detriment for TOO MANY options. Few of these upgrades are what I would 'cheap'. I was dying for the ability to find some locals that had these V6's and altered exhausts. No dice. So I listened to dozens and dozens of videos, they all kind of sounded similar. It's not a great way to research. Then it came to pricing. Lots of options there, I wanted stainless, I wanted 'factory looking tips', I wanted a good sound.

I ended up with MRT V2.0 axleback. On a scale of 1-5, I'd give these a solid 4. They sound good, very little drone, look nice, install was done for me, but it's a simple task with basic hand tools if you're so inclined.

I say go for this mod, you know you want it, they're worth more in weight reduction than performance.

Third was a cold air induction. There are threads all over the place of brands, looks, prices etc. I got lucky, found a used CAI brand with 2 filters for an excellent price. Super easy install, looks nice, has a nice sound and it does give you a feel of better throttle response. I also saw a little boost in MPG for normal driving. This is a must for those that want a little more oomph and the classic air cleaner sound. Mod report, 4.5 of 5.

Fourth I got my hands on a Vmax ported throttle. This is hands down the easiest mod you can do. 1 intake clamp 4 bolts and 1 electrical connector. Less than 15 minutes to perform. Personal results however, well, I did feel a bit better throttle response so considering cost and ease of install, go for it. Smoother airflow is key and that's what this does. Mod report, 3 of 5.

Now for the two big installs. The JACFAB ported intake and 3/4" intake spacer. These two pieces were the most expensive purchases yet, and the 'hardest' to install. That being said, pricing is fair and the install isn't that challenging with very good notes being provided. Took me at a snails pace, with some interruptions less than 2 hours start to finish. It seems daunting but it's really a simple task, just takes a little longer than most other mods. I wanted to really feel a difference with these mods. However traffic kept me from mostly playing around yesterday(Sunday drivers). The only thing I can report is that it seemed to have changed my exhaust note to a deeper tone, thats a good thing. It didn't give me that stump pulling power feeling that I hoped for though. I can report a raise in fuel economy again though under normal driving. However it almost felt like I was starving for fuel once i hit 4500rpm. I'm thinking with all these mods I may need to add a bit of fuel with a tuner. I now need to research those. Once again I'll give it as a good mod since cost wise it's not bad, install wise, a little challenging but far from difficult. Mod report, 3.5 of 5.

There's tons of other mods out there, these are the most basic, easiest installs and seem to be the most popular.

From what I saw of the intake valves at 22,500 miles, I don't need a catch can. My valves looked great. I did see a little oil around some of the openings but nothing that brought me any level of concern. However I think people that are constantly running hard, high RPM's, running track days or 1/4 miles a lot may see benefit. In my world where I only occasionally see's some spirited driving and the previous owner who probably didn't even know what a full throttle run is, you can probably live without this device but that's entirely up to you. I'm not installing at this point. I've attached some pictures, it really wasn't easy to get go angles. I gave up after a bit because I was more interested in my 'go fast goodies installation' and playing then pictures since I know the catch can is a hot bed of argument.
Wow man . !!great write up . Love it . !!keep up the great work and definitely posted on any new updates .