Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
RayYork
LordVader

Drives: 2011 RS 2SS 99 BMW 328i 96 K1500
Summer Road Trip / Planning stage for Route 66

I am planing on finally driving the mother road this sumer. I live in WA and plan on driving to Santa Monica and heading out from there. This will be a road trip with my 13 yr old daughter and my 2011 2SS/RS. My friend and his 13 yr old daughter will be coming along in their Challenger (purchased brand new today).

Question is, what are the MUST SEES on the trip? We know that we will be visiting the Grand Canyon, Cadillac Ranch and that place where you get the huge steak but what else?

We will likely part ways north of OK as we head back toward WA and they continue on to TN.

OK............GO:

RayYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
emsguy

Drives: 2012 2ss convertible
I am sure that you can readily find all of the tourist spots by googling "Route 66". If you really want to experience the mother road John Steinback wrote about, don't miss the spaces between the tourist stops. I travel from Chicago to Springfield, Illinois sveral times a year. In the summers, my favorite ride is old Route 66 on my Suzuki. There are so many undiscovered treasures in the towns Interstate 55 passed by. While you can't ride on Route 66, the road you can ride on parallels Route 66 and, in spots, is separated by only a couple of feet.

Visit the small towns, and the open spaces between the small towns. And try to imagine how it felt to the Joad family as they escaped to a better life out west.

Remember, it's the road, not the places the road takes you to. It's not about the getting there, it's about the going there.

Just my 2 cents.
emsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:32 PM   #3
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
That sounds like a fun road trip - maybe my 13 year old stepson and I should join you!
Old 12-04-2011, 12:51 AM   #4
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
Sounds awesome! I've always wanted to take a long trip and check out that area.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
RayYork
LordVader

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsguy View Post
I am sure that you can readily find all of the tourist spots by googling "Route 66". If you really want to experience the mother road John Steinback wrote about, don't miss the spaces between the tourist stops. I travel from Chicago to Springfield, Illinois sveral times a year. In the summers, my favorite ride is old Route 66 on my Suzuki. There are so many undiscovered treasures in the towns Interstate 55 passed by. While you can't ride on Route 66, the road you can ride on parallels Route 66 and, in spots, is separated by only a couple of feet.

Visit the small towns, and the open spaces between the small towns. And try to imagine how it felt to the Joad family as they escaped to a better life out west.

Remember, it's the road, not the places the road takes you to. It's not about the getting there, it's about the going there.

Just my 2 cents.
This is exactly the thing I was looking for. Yes, guide books can give you POI's but real people that have traveled the road know what to look for. Thank you!

Old 12-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
RayYork
LordVader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybugsmom View Post
That sounds like a fun road trip - maybe my 13 year old stepson and I should join you!
A hot rod convoy; I like that idea

Old 12-04-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
RayYork
LordVader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Last May we tripped from Chicago to New York and back in a circle.
~18 hours each way and we took 5 days each way. So less than 5 hours driving on any one day.

We sort of planned our nightly stops but lunches were always open and we found something every day. Museums, caves, etc.

Trying to talk the wife into a Rt. 66 in the spring. She has limited vacation time but we will see how far west we get before we have to turn around.
Hopefully she can get three weeks in a row so we can reach the left coast.

Oh, and don't tell my wife (B) that night I disappeared in the Adirondacks for a few hours (after emptying the trunk) was an awesome 3rd gear 2-lane blast
I know she knows but I can't actually say it
The bridge was closed and I got lost on the detour and my phone was out of range

NICE!

Old 12-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
cuffnstuff1

Drives: Hearse
well i live in santa rosa new mexico old route 66 this town is a summer town we have more water then we know what to do with have fun
cuffnstuff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:37 PM   #9
stso634

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
There is a small diner in Williams, AZ where they do a street show on the weekends. Also, you need to "stand on a corner" in Winslow, AZ, and the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest in Holbrook, AZ are both worth the time.
stso634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
Run4two

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS Transformer Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by stso634 View Post
There is a small diner in Williams, AZ where they do a street show on the weekends. Also, you need to "stand on a corner" in Winslow, AZ, and the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest in Holbrook, AZ are both worth the time.
Are the girls in the Ford's cute in Winslow?
Run4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #11
rocketman 12
SOON.........

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS Z-281LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run4two View Post
Are the girls in the Ford's cute in Winslow?

LMAO!
Old 12-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #12
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....

Drives: Sold the 6POINT2, went to a 50THZ06
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuffnstuff1 View Post
well i live in santa rosa new mexico old route 66 this town is a summer town we have more water then we know what to do with have fun
Water in NM? I had no idea, guess I need to get out of ABQ more often
Old 12-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #13
KidKilowatt

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
We had a cruise down Route 66 with our C5G Camaro club, here is the thread. This is the Illinois section of Route 66. If you start at the end of the thread and work back you will see our pics and video links. The beginning of the thread is planning etc, if you want to skip that part. It was a blast cruising along with so many Camaros. While going through one small town, I heard a gentlemen say, "Where are they all going??" It was funny !! I have been on the western part also, but not in the Camaro, been to the Grand Canyon, Cadillac Ranch and the Steak place, but I forget the name of that place.

http://www.chicago5thgen.com/upcomin...-july-9th.html
2011 LLT RS Black on Black Loaded. [x]Showstopper 45th Anniversary inspired Camaro RS Stripes, [x] MPD1 Spoiler, [x] GM Heritage Grille. [x] Removed RS and Bowtie Emblems. [x] 30% Tinted Headlight Armour DRL's. [X ] Ruff Racing R954 Wheels [X] Solo Cat Back Mach X-LLT Exhaust [X ] Vmax Ported throttle body [x] Halo SC Reverse Hood Kit [x] Showstopper Painted, Modded Engine Cover [x] Cold Air Inductions CAI [x] Tinted Tails and Black Bezels [x] Megan Racing Street Series Coilovers [x] Belltech F&R Sways
Check out my build thread!
http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212178
KidKilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:58 PM   #14
mjrracing97
Bumblebee1961

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformers Edition
Send a message via Skype™ to mjrracing97
Yhe wife and I did the Southern end tour in 2009. Wonderful is the one word that describes it. The name of the steak house is The Big Texan, it is in Amarillo Texas and is one of the places that is well worth the stop. We plan on going back there again soon as the Grandsonis old enough to make the trip with us.
mjrracing97 is offline   Reply With Quote