Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
RayYork
LordVader

Drives: 2011 RS 2SS 99 BMW 328i 96 K1500
AC Question

Please forgive me if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find a thread that addressed this specifically.

I just got back home (north of Seattle) from a road trip to the SW (CA, NV, AZ, UT). My car has neer seen +80 degrees until this trip so my exposure to how the car runs with the AC on has been limited.

While driving in LA, in traffic (100+ deg), I noticed a sound like a hydraulic pump that was low on fluid. The sound would match the speed of the revs of the motor but initially it sounded like it was coming from the transmission (my car is a 2011 2SS/RS M6). I also noticed that my acceleration was labored.

We eventually drove from LA to Big Bear. The power felt weaker than I expected but I was pulling away from my buddies 392 Challenger so I guess it wasn't that bad. It just didn't rev as freely as I am used to. I assumed that it was altitude that was working against me.

The next day we went down to RT 66 and the temps were very high again. We were cruising at high rates of speed and doing well but at one point we missed a turn and need to pull a U-turn on 66. When I did that, I noticed the motor felt like I dropped anchor it was so labored. The noise has continued on an off this entire time and the AC has been on. I killed the AC and the car ran great! Problem was, it was 110+ Deg and we were in the middle of nowhere. After a while the heat got overwhelming and I went to turn the AC back on, well, no love, it would not turn back on!!!

We left 66 and diverted to Las Vegas. I took the car to Findlay Chevy the next morning and guess what....... The AC came on just fine and "there was nothing wrong". The checked the codes and compressor and nothing...... They discharged and re-charged the system and found that a system software update from earlier in the year had been installed but not applied properly so they redid the update.

After leaving Vegas, the system worked fine, in that it blew cold air and continued to work but the noise continued and and the pull on the motor was noticeable.

I am back in WA now and the temps are in the 60's and 70's and I'm at sea level so the system is not taxed nearly as much so the symptoms are not present and my dealer will not be able to replicate the issue.

After this long dissertation, what I want to know is, is this normal for folks that live in high temps and high altitudes? Do I have a faulty compressor? Feedback would be appreciated.

RayYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Also from the Seattle area and had a similar experience with another car.

The high air temps and elevation can affect vehicle performance. I drove a Chevy Colorado from Seattle to almost Wyoming in a mountainous area up around 5,000'. The truck was really struggling as the temperature was right around 100 degrees. I mean, it didn't have a lot of power to begin with, but it was really breathing hard, almost to the point where I thought there was a problem. I could feel the A/C compressor kick on and off..When it was on, it felt like I was suddenly towing a boat. The road ended and the trail began. That's when I kicked off the A/C as it was time to crawl in 4-low up the mountain, to an elevation of right around 8,500'. Insane.

I've owned a number of GM cars and the compressors can make noise. also, a second cooling fan usually kicks on, adding more noise, and then I believe the condensors have the ability to make noise as well.

If you think it's a problem, run it on one of these warm-sunny post July-4th days here in Seattle and take a video of it if the problem replicates.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Well I can't say anything for high altitudes but I normally always run with my AC on down here. The difference between having your AC on vs off shouldn't be drastically noticeable but there is most definitely a difference.

I would suggest to keep an eye on it. Thing I've realized about AC is it can be really finicky
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Kent2010

Drives: Camaro SS
Here in Las Vegas, we've had 100+ deg temps daily. No noises, no labored acceleration from my SS.

Keep in mind that the AC compressor takes less than 10HP (probably more like 3-5hp), so if you are feeling a severe drop in power, there's something else going on, *especially* if you are also hearing strange noises at the same time.
Kent2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
I've noticed a "whine" with the air on that moves with RPM's, but no significant drain in power.

Interesting that I've just noticed it since it's been over 90*.

Just drove 4 hours with the air on from Detroit and no issues.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
dianeokie
Going places

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Victory Red
Many, many threads in the issues thread about the AC. Had my compressor replaced three times before they got it right! Works now!:(

"just stay with traffic, you'll be fine". = famous last words
dianeokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
There was also a reprogram TSB for the 2011's. It had to do with the A/C randomly not working. Sounds like maybe it wasn't done on your car. I'd check. It takes about 30 minutes for the dealer to reprogram.

See here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151948
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
HorsePower-Freak

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
There was also a reprogram TSB for the 2011's. It had to do with the A/C randomly not working. Sounds like maybe it wasn't done on your car. I'd check. It takes about 30 minutes for the dealer to reprogram.

See here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151948
Great now I'm worried lol
HorsePower-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #9
edgehead2000
2016 Camaro 1LT 2.0T

Drives: Nemesis
I just finished a round-trip from Albuquerque, NM, to Vegas and had no AC issues in a 2010 SS.

A friend of mine from Maupin, OR, said that when he brought his Honda Civic from sea level to mile high that he also lost power. He had a tune and fluids changed then it was normal again he said. Maybe pressure related?
edgehead2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #10
RayYork
LordVader

Drives: 2011 RS 2SS 99 BMW 328i 96 K1500
The Findlay service writer said that there was a difference in the pressure when it came in and when they recharged the system. I sent this to my local dealer and am waiting to hear what they say.

RayYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #11
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
one note, the reason that your AC wouldn't come back on at one point during the day MIGHT be frozen lines. I am told by my ASC certified friend, who specializes in AC, that some parts and lines and hoses and whatnot can occasionally freeze up, rendering the system inoperable. Later, things thaw out and resume operation, like the miracle the day of your AC working just fine at the dealership the following day.

Just a possibility to consider... and I've got no idea how that might tie in with the loss of power issue.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #12
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
5280' elevation/mile high = 20% lower atmospheric pressure = 20% less power.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #13
edgehead2000
2016 Camaro 1LT 2.0T

Drives: Nemesis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
5280' elevation/mile high = 20% lower atmospheric pressure = 20% less power.

John B.
I tend to believe this after many a trip between NM and Vegas; in Vegas, I could roll the SS and my old Crossfire off the line by just letting go of the clutch whereas in NM I need a little bit of gas to do the same.
edgehead2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #14
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
Can't speak to the power loss, but AC systems have a "recovery mode". If you flip the system off and then back on, recovery mode prevents the compressor from coming right back on to prevent system damage. I'm not sure if this applies to your car though.
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote