Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-18-2014, 09:46 PM   #925
bnorman

Drives: 2015 1SS
I received an email today after asking about an update on the BT dongle and some other questions. Didn't get the answer for the Dongle issue, but some others if anyone is interested:

When asked about the Bluetooth, there is an upgrade they are putting up for users experiencing phone issues. I am waiting to find out how to log in, but this may solve my Handsfree problem.

I asked if it was at all possible to build these or put the OS on a Solid State drive. Apparently not, but told me that you can go into the settings and change the ACC to a different time. Essentially run the unit off of internal battery which eliminates the need for bootup everytime you start the car. This is not an interest to me, but if you want I can share.

Finally, I asked about how to go about upgrading to a larger RAM and would I need to send the unit back. No, you don't send it back. You have to pay $130 (not sure if that includes shipping) and they send you a larger CPU. Remove the faceplate, unscrew the interior metallic frame, replace the CPU and seal back up. Not sure if this requires soldering or if it is plug in, but I may explore tomorrow as I am debating on moving the WIFI antenna and searching out the microphone which should be in the faceplate.

Anyway, as soon as I get the "way" to upgrade the phone Bluetooth I will share.

Brian
bnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:53 PM   #926
SinisSick
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 ss
I sold mine im just waiting on Lim to do these upgrades
SinisSick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:21 PM   #927
bnorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisSick View Post
I sold mine im just waiting on Lim to do these upgrades
I don't blame you. Might as well get something that is 100% out of the box when it comes to fitment, processing and capability. Mine is pretty much broken in and I am getting real familiar with maneuvering around it.

To date they have been pretty Johnny on the Spot with fixing things and making adjustments so I would think the fix would be right around the corner on this OBD/Dongle issue.

I knew there was a risk when I first jumped into this pool, but even with the iGo issue I had, I am very impressed with what Lim and the company has put out. I think the real test is how long this thing will last.

Each stereo/unit out there is in a different league, but hands down this thing wins when it comes to connectivity, applications, appearance and functionality. If you are looking for a decent stereo with Android capability, no one comes close to this, IMO. Kinda just like the first Android phones, they were unique and "cool". Now 15 years later they are so much more improved and I am hoping that this type of device will catch on and become standard.

Good luck with the next generation that hopefully is around the corner. I am sure if it comes out it will be talked about here rather quickly.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:57 AM   #928
19car69

Drives: 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorman View Post
I asked if it was at all possible to build these or put the OS on a Solid State drive. Apparently not, but told me that you can go into the settings and change the ACC to a different time. Essentially run the unit off of internal battery which eliminates the need for bootup everytime you start the car. This is not an interest to me, but if you want I can share.
I am interested in at least exploring this. Can you send that over to me?
2012 1LS, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Apex scoop, Apex water bottle relocation, VMax Ported TB, Vitesse Throttle Controller, BMR Sway bars, BMR 1.2" drop springs, Koni rear shocks, Elite catch can, Solo Performance V6 Mach X-LFX Cat-Back Exhaust, Hex Vents, 1LE strut tower brace, Barton short throw, separate clutch reservoir, American Racing TORQ THRUST M 18X9, HiTS radio with reverse camera, GM Blade Dovetail spoiler, 2010 leather wrap steering wheel, vented engine cover, added Homelink to overhead console.
19car69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #929
bnorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19car69 View Post
I am interested in at least exploring this. Can you send that over to me?
Verbatim:

"Also, is it possible or have you considered using a solid state drive as the internal memory? Would it load and boot faster?

=>you can have turn on the unit loading faster and don't need to wait for the logo to come out each time, by going to factory setting => login 0000 and of to mcu setting , row down until you find the acc hold set to 2 hour , it work work then after 2 hour it will off .

but this setting will let the system run while you already remove the car key and at the same times you can make the DVR recording even when you out form the car , video still recording .. but maybe the car battery will be off as battery power still use . but within 2 hour should be ok unless we will change the setting time to 15 30 45 and 1 hour time will be save."
Old 03-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #930
19car69

I may have to try this. I can't imagine it is pulling lots of power from the car battery. Do you think I could get away with setting it at 10 hours or so? That would at least make it where you don't have to wait for boot up during lunch and after work. Just in the morning.
2012 1LS, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Apex scoop, Apex water bottle relocation, VMax Ported TB, Vitesse Throttle Controller, BMR Sway bars, BMR 1.2" drop springs, Koni rear shocks, Elite catch can, Solo Performance V6 Mach X-LFX Cat-Back Exhaust, Hex Vents, 1LE strut tower brace, Barton short throw, separate clutch reservoir, American Racing TORQ THRUST M 18X9, HiTS radio with reverse camera, GM Blade Dovetail spoiler, 2010 leather wrap steering wheel, vented engine cover, added Homelink to overhead console.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #931
bnorman

Quote:
I may have to try this. I can't imagine it is pulling lots of power from the car battery. Do you think I could get away with setting it at 10 hours or so? That would at least make it where you don't have to wait for boot up during lunch and after work. Just in the morning.
I think I would test it a little with lower hours before a longer setting. On another note, this upgrade seemed to fix my phone bluetooth issue. Either that or I was doing something wrong to begin with.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #932
19car69

Your probably right. I don't want to get stranded some where.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:24 PM   #933
bnorman

For anyone who runs with a hot spot in the car or uses their smartphone as a hotspot while driving, this is pretty neat. I used to use this app Mighty Text for my tablet around the house because I didn't always have my phone, but I had one or the other.

I tried downloading it from the Play store but it is incompatible. But with the help of Google Search I found the apk and someone else modified it a bit, but it works so I can't take any of the credit for making this.

Essentially what it does it runs all SMS through your google account. Once your phone gets the SMS it is sent to a linked google email account and then to this app, so you have to be running off Wifi.

I tested it for a few today and it sends, receives text messages nearly as instantaneously as your phone. The modified version that I found and used are linked below through my dropbox. The screenshot is from the clear version, the blackout version is literally blacked out and only text.

Blacked Out
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nnmnxk98y5...tyText1.75.apk

Clear
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x5bkbpz45c...tyText1.75.apk

To install:
#1 - First you must install Mighty Text for your phone from the Play Store
#2 - Download the apk from Dropbox and place on the SD card you use for the HICES
#3 - Insert the SD card into the HICES, open it up in File Explorer and click on the APK
#4 - Use the verify install and it installs onto your HICES
#5 - Open it up through the Icon, complete set up and it should just link through your google account.

Sorry about the fuzziness, too many things at the same time.

Attached Images

Last edited by bnorman; 03-19-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #934
CamaroLS

Drives: 2014 Blue Ray Met. Camaro 1SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorman View Post
For anyone who runs with a hot spot in the car or uses their smartphone as a hotspot while driving, this is pretty neat. I used to use this app Mighty Text for my tablet around the house because I didn't always have my phone, but I had one or the other.

I tried downloading it from the Play store but it is incompatible. But with the help of Google Search I found the apk and someone else modified it a bit, but it works so I can't take any of the credit for making this.

Essentially what it does it runs all SMS through your google account. Once your phone gets the SMS it is sent to a linked google email account and then to this app, so you have to be running off Wifi.

I tested it for a few today and it sends, receives text messages nearly as instantaneously as your phone. The modified version that I found and used are linked below through my dropbox. The screenshot is from the clear version, the blackout version is literally blacked out and only text.

Blacked Out
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nnmnxk98y5...tyText1.75.apk

Clear
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x5bkbpz45c...tyText1.75.apk

To install:
#1 - First you must install Mighty Text for your phone from the Play Store
#2 - Download the apk from Dropbox and place on the SD card you use for the HICES
#3 - Insert the SD card into the HICES, open it up in File Explorer and click on the APK
#4 - Use the verify install and it installs onto your HICES
#5 - Open it up through the Icon, complete set up and it should just link through your google account.
Pretty Damn cool. There is no limit to this unit once Lim gets everything working and everybody gets use to the radio and 4.0 software. The sky is the limit!! Thanks
CamaroLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #935
SinisSick
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 ss
Very cool!
SinisSick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:34 AM   #936
bnorman

Changing the Boot Animation

Reading up on this I have learned that there can be some issues with changing out the animation with files you get from untrusted sources. So if you decide to do this, make sure you get the file from a trusted source.

In the video below I show how I changed my boot animation from the default options given with the system to something else. I am still working a little trying to get the best screen resolution, but it is definitely different.

In the video I pretty much show a step by step how to do this, with the exception of 1 thing. In ES File Explorer when you long press an item it gives you options on the right, along with a 3 dotted option on the bottom right. You will want to select that option, click properties and scroll down to where you can change the abilities of the file like read, write and execute. I took the same settings from the original file which is "rwx" across the board and used the same settings for the animation I installed.

There are a lot of possibilities and customization that can be done with this, so if you are the adventurous type and comfortable with your abilities, explore away.

Anyway, here is the video:
Old 03-20-2014, 07:58 AM   #937
19car69

Changing the boot animation is pretty cool. I may have to look at those. Thanks for sharing.

I tried changing the acc hold last night. Since it was in my garage and I had a way to start the car even if the battery was drained I set the time to six hours. There were no issues starting my car today. The one issue I did think about is that if you do short drives it starts that six hour clock again but may not have recharged what was drained by the system before. So on a busy day of running around you would never have the system actually turn off. This would be great as far as no boot time, but could drain the battery down and leave you stranded. I really wish I knew how much power it was really pulling when on acc hold.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:15 PM   #938
Yippee38

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS, '02 SOM Firehawk
Quote:
I really wish I knew how much power it was really pulling when on acc hold.

Get it the multimeter!