Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
ZL1 two piece rotors for brake upgrade?

I'm considering doing the CTS-V/ZL1 caliper upgrade and wondering whether to go with ZL1 two-piece, the CTS-V, or another after market rotor. I haven't seen much in the way of CTS-V after market rotors that are to the levels of like DBA or Racing Brake. Any thoughts on how good the ZL1 two piece are? I primarily road course with my car.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
I'm considering doing the CTS-V/ZL1 caliper upgrade and wondering whether to go with ZL1 two-piece, the CTS-V, or another after market rotor. I haven't seen much in the way of CTS-V after market rotors that are to the levels of like DBA or Racing Brake. Any thoughts on how good the ZL1 two piece are? I primarily road course with my car.
As a warning, there is a well documented "clicking" sound that occurs on a hard slow turn (parking lot maneuvers) with the original CTS-V rotors. The 2013 CTS-V now come with two-piece rotors standard (I'm assuming they are the same as the ZL1). Many CTS-V owners (2009-12 models) were given the new two-piece rotors to correct the clicking sound as part of a TSB. This seemed to have worked for 95% of CTS-V's (myself included) but some still complain that they still have clicking.

Perhaps the ZL1 owners can chime in and offer more insight on the two-piece rotors. I've only had mine on the V for 3 weeks.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
I run DBA 4000 with Carbotech XP 12F and XP 8R on the track and I can stop on a dime. The more heat I get in them the better I brake. I don't see a need to upgrade to the CTS-V/ZL1 brakes if you get the right brakes and rotors.

The other three I track with also use Carbotech/DBA and we all love them.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
It all depends on how hard you plan to run. We have run the PUSA and Raymond's Performance Camaros with the duo cast CTS-V rotors. There was no clicking and while we were cautioned about possible warping have not experienced that either.

I am not a fan of the Carbotech XP12 and XP 8 combination. I prefer the XP 10 in the rear. Working with the CTS-V setup and Bruce Raymond we have customs pads that will be available through Bruce and Raymond's Performance. I'll poke Bruce to chime in.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote