Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 07-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #757
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper12b View Post
I knew it. The breed looked familiar, had one rolling with my squad when I was in Iraq. Great dogs, super intelligent, intuitive and hard working .
You are spot on. We are taking Ppirro in to report for duty this morning. There aren't many dry eyes in the house, but we believe in the mission and are proud to be a small part of the Military Working Dog program. We used to pray for the safe return of our troops. We have expanded that to include special prayers for the EODs, Handlers and MWDs.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #758
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
Pete, could you fill me (us) in on how you were picked to do this training? My wife has wanted to do this for civilian service dogs for years.

My lab is getting up there in age, and I know he won't be with us much longer. I would love to help fulfill her dreams of training a service dog. I couldn't do it with him in his last months with us, but would like to start "planning".

And thank you for helping all of our service "people"!
Old 07-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #759
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
Pete, could you fill me (us) in on how you were picked to do this training? My wife has wanted to do this for civilian service dogs for years.

My lab is getting up there in age, and I know he won't be with us much longer. I would love to help fulfill her dreams of training a service dog. I couldn't do it with him in his last months with us, but would like to start "planning".

And thank you for helping all of our service "people"!
Amy Martinez is a civilian staff member of the DOD Breeding Program at Lackland Air Force Base. In December the department was struggling to house and care for puppies under the age of 8 weeks over the Christmas holiday. I have three daughters she thought would enjoy the experience. I said we would be happy to help. By the time the paperwork and security check was complete, we missed that opportunity.

We started looking into this on a deeper level. Talking to two of my favorite EOD and other military personnel with first hand experience we began to understand the value of Soldier Dogs. The more we learned the more we wanted to do this as a way to thank all those that have served. Along the way we saw these are not ordinary dogs. They are special dogs that form special bonds and become an invaluable part of deployed units. We decided to do at least two dogs. One for Danny and one for Ben.

When our guy Ppirro was scheduled to return for duty we learned first hand how difficult this was going to be for the family. We have experienced on a very different level how parents and relatives feel when their son or daughter head off for boot camp. My respect and appreciation of their sacrifices has increase 10 fold.

So how do you get involved? At Lackland you have to live within two hours of the base, have a suitable home and or work environment to raised a Belgian Malinois that expects to be busy 12 to 16 hours a day. If they are not busy they will find a way to be busy that is generally destructive. No matter what the handbook tells you, your job is to raise a rude and belligerent Military Working Dog that can survive kennel life and develop the dogs emotional need for reward and praise from a human. The more the pup becomes attached to you and your family, the stronger they will bond with future handlers.

It has been a week since we turned Ppirro in. We all still have moments during the day. My kids sent me on my road trip with a miniature Mal in a plastic bag that reads:

Ppirro for Pete Basica (it was shipped to Tom Henry Chevrolet)

Do not lose me.
Love,
Ppirro

The girls created a Facebook page for Ppirro. You can learn more about him here. https://www.facebook.com/ppirrobasica

There is a shortage of Soldier Dogs. Soldier Dogs save lives. If there is a base with a program near you I encourage you to support them by fostering. Foster a future Guardian of the Night
Old 07-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #760
JusticePete

Want to drive the best-of-the-best 5th Gen Camaro, then you'll want the latest and greatest from Pedders. For the second year in a row, the Pedders Lingenfelter Camaro had the fastest combined Road Course (2nd to a bad axx 3,100 pound Vette) and Autocross (1st) times at the event.

The data connection from the vehicle to the data logger was intermittent. The G forces are integral to the data logger and are spot on.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #761
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
Thanks for the info Pete. I have several bases nearby, so I will look into it. I would be very proud to help our soldiers.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #762
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
Thanks for the info Pete. I have several bases nearby, so I will look into it. I would be very proud to help our soldiers.

On another subject, we'll have pics of some new 5th Gen parts to post on Wednesday.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #763
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #764
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
You're late.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #765
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
I know... I leave on Wed night... should be there first thing Thursday morning to help with CamaroX track layout.

You may get a late night call from me on wed. I may need a good conversation to keep me going.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #766
LowLife

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post

On another subject, we'll have pics of some new 5th Gen parts to post on Wednesday.
I'm still waiting on my test parts
LowLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #767
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
So, Pete... I tried to say hi to you like 5 times last year and you didn't seem to notice. It was almost like you were busy or something!

I hope we can say hi this year. Maybe peek over the hill to the drag strip occasionally! I'll try to do the same with the autocross.

Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #768
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
I know... I leave on Wed night... should be there first thing Thursday morning to help with CamaroX track layout.

You may get a late night call from me on wed. I may need a good conversation to keep me going.
Feel free to ring me up... I know that side of long late night drives... I have several people I can call, including the operator at my company... She and I have talked for hours when I was really tired and driving... I think the operators are told this may happen, and they will ask repeatedly if we need a hotel and where we are so travel can book us a room...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #769
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
So, Pete... I tried to say hi to you like 5 times last year and you didn't seem to notice. It was almost like you were busy or something!

I hope we can say hi this year. Maybe peek over the hill to the drag strip occasionally! I'll try to do the same with the autocross.

Cool, get to visit with DE again... Can't wait to see Smaug flying down the track...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #770
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post

ABSOLUTELY!!!!