Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
fonz1025

Drives: 2013 2LS
Theft Deterrent System Problem

I've had my 2013 Camaro for 4 months. The 1st three months were great with no problems. The last 3 weeks the car failed to start 4 times with the dreaded "Service Threat Deterrent System" warning on the DIC.

The 1st time it started after 15 minutes. The other 3 times, it was towed to the dealer. They have reprogrammed both keys, and changed the ECM as it was generating faulty codes. Both times it worked for two days and then failed again. They'll start troubleshooting the 3rd instance on Monday.

Has anyone had this problem and what was the fix?
fonz1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
kmthor00

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Have not heard this, I'm sure you are keeping good documentation.
kmthor00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
jake2212

Drives: none (yet)
wow, i've never even heard of this before. gl man
jake2212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:21 AM   #4
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
I had this problem. I would literally start my car, then the engine would shut off while driving, yeah, that was safe.

My dealer reprogrammed both keys and reprogrammed the anti theft system, probably the same thing they did to you, and I've never had another problem.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonz1025 View Post
I've had my 2013 Camaro for 4 months. The 1st three months were great with no problems. The last 3 weeks the car failed to start 4 times with the dreaded "Service Threat Deterrent System" warning on the DIC.

The 1st time it started after 15 minutes. The other 3 times, it was towed to the dealer. They have reprogrammed both keys, and changed the ECM as it was generating faulty codes. Both times it worked for two days and then failed again. They'll start troubleshooting the 3rd instance on Monday.

Has anyone had this problem and what was the fix?
fonz1025,

Really sorry to hear about this concern. By all means, please keep us updated on the Monday diagnosis. Feel free to send me a PM if you still experience any issues or have additional questions.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
I'm not sure how patient I would be before I started "lemon law" considerations. Unless I mis-read,you've already had it back to the dealer 4 times for the same problem and no resolution. Time to elevate it to GM and get some higher involvement!
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
fonz1025

I got a call from the dealer today. They could not get the car to start at all yesterday. They've narrowed the problem to a faulty circuit board that shorted out. It blew several fuses and caused the issues with the Engine Control Module (ECM). They will get the part in tomorrow and do the install. I was thinking a short, bad ground or power surge might cause the key to lose the programmed code. It sounds like they're on the right track. Hopefully, this will fix it.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
I got a call from the dealer today. They could not get the car to start at all yesterday. They've narrowed the problem to a faulty circuit board that shorted out. It blew several fuses and caused the issues with the Engine Control Module (ECM). They will get the part in tomorrow and do the install. I was thinking a short, bad ground or power surge might cause the key to lose the programmed code. It sounds like they're on the right track. Hopefully, this will fix it.
Wow,

Appreciate the update. By all means, let us know if you may need additional assistance!

Regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #9
fonz1025

Dealer found a burnt fuse. They replaced the circuit board and the fuse. They then discovered power was still not getting to several of the circuits. They traced the wiring and discovered loose relay wires going to the DIC. They replaced the terminal and this resolved the problem. This problem was difficult for the technician to troubleshoot since there was no "wire concern" in the GM diagnostics instructions to lead them to the actual problem they discovered.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #10
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Dealer found a burnt fuse. They replaced the circuit board and the fuse. They then discovered power was still not getting to several of the circuits. They traced the wiring and discovered loose relay wires going to the DIC. They replaced the terminal and this resolved the problem. This problem was difficult for the technician to troubleshoot since there was no "wire concern" in the GM diagnostics instructions to lead them to the actual problem they discovered.
fonz1025,

A hurdle you encountered definitely but it is great news to learn that it's behind you now and the issue is resolved. We are happy to hear your vehicle is operating as designed now. If there is any help you need in the future, do let us know. Enjoy!

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care