Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #29
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Everyone is pretty much going to tell you what they have is the best choice. It's justification for their own decisions. In all honesty, all three FI choices are winners. Just saying.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:45 PM   #30
nmmn

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
Everyone is pretty much going to tell you what they have is the best choice. It's justification for their own decisions. In all honesty, all three FI choices are winners. Just saying.
Same answer - I speak from first hand experience. I have had them all. Vortech, Maggie, Whipple, GMS Twin turbo - all on Gen 5 Camaros.

Vortech made great power - packaging not as clean as the others. Centrifugal blowers win the blower wars when it comes to big pwer numbers

Maggie looks OE - but at 6psi only made 465rwhp on auto trans - it was not a heartbeat

Whipple - Looked great and made 505 at 7psi rwhp - gobbs of torque

GMS TT - put this on manual trans 2012. At 7psi it 580 and at 8.5psi it made 625 rwhp. and torque up the wazoo. It also look OE and dare I say stock when you opened the hood (as if I only had a CAI) it was quiet and reliable. - it cost the most money, made the most power and looked the most stock. Some would say looking stock is a negative

I now have a Black ZL1 Vert with LPE upgrade and an auto trans again - go figure

Anyway back to the topic - Read below again

Simple - First how much power do you really want to the tires? If its going to be a stock motor and just easy to maintain - its hard to beat a Maggie or Whipple. Plan on an easy 600 with a manual and 550 with auto.

Facts not fiction

I love Twins but no matter what anyone says it ain't as easy as simply installing a middle mount blower like Maggie or Whipple

I love my ZL1 cuz its made that way and put down 608 rwhp but if i started with a SS again and wanted 600 rwhp with an auto and no muss no fuss i would say Whipple or Heartbeat - not TT
nmmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:38 PM   #31
Gavros 4 Life

Drives: 2SS/RS Summit White Black Stripes
i want to start at 600 and be able to go up from there i have thought about the Procharger i-1 but there is like 0 information about it and its pretty damn pricy!!!!!!
Gavros 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #32
SStealth Vert
Banned

Drives: '11 Vert M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by servax View Post
Go for the best of both worlds.. ProCharger i-1 with adjustable boost, tap a button and it goes back to stock mode.
Here's the thing whether it be the I-1, or any turbo system. You can't constantly adjust boost. At least no more then what is set up. The stock PCM can only account for so many variables with the tune. So when you change the boost in anything, you're throwing off the tune. To have it work properly, you would need a new engine management system that's designed to work with multiple boost levels such as a haltech.
SStealth Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:56 PM   #33
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SStealth Vert View Post
Here's the thing whether it be the I-1, or any turbo system. You can't constantly adjust boost. At least no more then what is set up. The stock PCM can only account for so many variables with the tune. So when you change the boost in anything, you're throwing off the tune. To have it work properly, you would need a new engine management system that's designed to work with multiple boost levels such as a haltech.
not necessarily. speed density tuning
Old 04-07-2014, 10:14 PM   #34
SStealth Vert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
You can do that, but even then, you can't load up the PCM with all these tunes to account for all the boost levels. So with a boost controller and a wastegate, you can only load two, maybe three tunes on there. I was going to do that exact setup with ECS, but even with a the new motor, you're risking it. That's why I went with a Haltech.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:17 PM   #35
justinj

Drives: 2011 CAMARO 2SS RS
Know its not a choice but I love my whipple.. all the power you want and when it kicks in its so much fun. try and drive them all before buying..
2011 CAMARO 2SS RS-kooks long tube/flow-master American Thunder full exhaust, duel electric cutouts, Mcleod RXT, ZL1 3.73 kit, PFADT sway bars, Toe rods, Lowering springs, Trailing arms, solid rear cradle bushings, BMR motor mounts, Stage 7 RPM TR6060, Whipple Supercharger, LPE twin fuel pumps, ID850 injectors, Elite Catch Can, VEI Gauges, Blower Cam LS1 277LCB HR-14, Barton Short Throw Shifter. Widen Stock rims with 315s, Lots more. 615rwhp 530 rwtq on mustang dyno

Last edited by justinj; 05-05-2014 at 10:59 PM.
justinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:18 AM   #36
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
Yup... ProEFI 128 bit computer and a speed density tune....

I can currently dial from 8 lbs of boost to 24 on the fly, provided the proper fuel is in the tank... 8 lb springs, and a four port... We have the dial a boost set on 8, 14, 20 and 24. There are five set points, but the lowest, position 1, is 8 lbs with no traction control...

And we have the four port for the new motor soon to go into the car.... Then we'll be dialing from 2 lbs of boost to 34... providing the proper fuel is in the tank... Probably C-20...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:19 AM   #37
neptunetrucking

Drives: new ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavros 4 Life View Post
If you could do any of the below what would your choice be...and if not one of the above what other option would you consider?

A.) Any Pro Charger set up

B.) AGP TT

C.) ECS SC

*car will be DD also
twin turbo
neptunetrucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:34 AM   #38
Frans96ss

Drives: 96SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SStealth Vert View Post
You can do that, but even then, you can't load up the PCM with all these tunes to account for all the boost levels. So with a boost controller and a wastegate, you can only load two, maybe three tunes on there. I was going to do that exact setup with ECS, but even with a the new motor, you're risking it. That's why I went with a Haltech.

Not sure where you got that info. I have tune MANY turbo cars and you tune that at every boost level up to the customers max boost. So no matter what boost its on the tune is good.
Frans96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:58 AM   #39
SStealth Vert
Banned

But the tune is only good up until they hit their max boost. If they decide to go beyond that, they would need a whole new tune.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #40
servax

Drives: 11' Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavros 4 Life View Post
i want to start at 600 and be able to go up from there i have thought about the Procharger i-1 but there is like 0 information about it and its pretty damn pricy!!!!!!
It's pretty pricy but it's been great so far, I got mine tuned by Ted @ JRE. There is one flaw right now though, ProCharger hasn't released the "Custom" mode yet so you're locked in at a maximum ~8 lbs of boost. Not helpful if you're going E85.. But I've been told this should be unlocked this week.

ProCharger Stage II Intercooled Tuner Kit with i-1, Injector Dynamics 1300cc Injectors, Squash E85/Gas Duel Fuel Pumps w/ Hobbs Switch, Kooks LT Headers, MagnaFlow Mufflers, Full 3' FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, K&W Variant 3, Jannetty Racing Tuned

servax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #41
Warp12LS3
COTW 3/18/13

Drives: '12 2SS/RS LS3
My car is also at Lethal Racing getting the AGP twin turbos installed. I had the ECS 1500 on and loved it but ended up blowing a seal in the headunit and it started leaking oil and ruined the internals. I always wanted a turbo car so I decided to go with the AGP kit vs having a rebuild supercharger. You'll be more than happy with any F/I option you decide on!!
AGP Twin Turbo, ALKY Meth Injection, Magnaflow Comp. CatBack, Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam, Mantic 9000 Twin Clutch, DSS 1000hp Axles, BMR 1.4" Lowering Springs, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Diff. Bushings, MGW Short Shifter, Niche Apex 20x10.5 on 275/315 Vreds

Built and tuned by: LETHAL RACING
681rwhp/653rwtq @6lbs
My Build: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277755
Warp12LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:15 PM   #42
mrimpala02

Drives: Black 2SS RS w/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp12LS3 View Post
My car is also at Lethal Racing getting the AGP twin turbos installed. I had the ECS 1500 on and loved it but ended up blowing a seal in the headunit and it started leaking oil and ruined the internals. I always wanted a turbo car so I decided to go with the AGP kit vs having a rebuild supercharger. You'll be more than happy with any F/I option you decide on!!
What kind of numbers were putting down? Did you have any fuel upgrades?
Pat G Custom Turbo CamMotion Camshaft | AGP TT BB Garrett 62/65's | AGP/Fore Triple Pumps | ID1700X Injectors | Alky Control Twin Nozzle Meth | Custom 3" Exhaust | 3.27 gear set w/ Tru Trac | McLeod Twin RXT | Barton Short Throw Shifter | 6th Gen ZL1 Wheels | BMR 1.4" drop springs | Pfadt rear trailing arms & tie rods |

Installed by Me & Tuned by Pat G
mrimpala02 is offline   Reply With Quote