Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
King T

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2011 Buick Regal Turbo
I F#@^up! Think I need a new intake tube for my Roto-fab CAI

Please learn from my mistake.
1) Always read and follow the directions throughly
2) Don't try to put this together the morning after you get off from working the 3rd shift while you are sleepy.

Yesterday when I got off I finally decided to install my Roto-Fab CAI. I ordered it from Brandon at IPS over a month ago, just now getting around to installing it.

At first everything was going fine. The directions are straight-forward and top notch. Actually you can really just look at the pictures and figure it out for the most part. So I was flying along and got to the point where I had to remove the MAF Sensor from my stock intake and screw it onto the Roto-Fab Intake pipe. Once again no problem......but it was. It seems in haste (and sleepiness) I used the factory srcrews to put the MAF on and not the ones that came with the Roto-Fab CAI. So now I have the screws stuck in there and the MAF is not tightened all the way down. I even took it to the Chevy dealership thinking they would have some kind of tool that would get them out but no.

So that's why I'm asking does anyone sell just the intake tube? The guy at the dealership told me since I can't get it out just go ahead and seal it onto the intake tube with some silicone/adhesive.

I can cut the screws and save the MAF sensor, but I would need a new tube from Roto-Fab after that.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
alfie43

Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
Its not clear to me what happened. Are you saying the screw threads in the tube are stripped? Why can't you remove the screws?

If you have to replace the tube, call Roto-Fab. They have a reputation for good customer service. Good luck.
Alfie
Old 04-07-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
Yep...
Call mike at Roto-Fab, he can sell you just a tube, and I am sure he can get it shipped out to you right away.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by King T View Post
Please learn from my mistake.
1) Always read and follow the directions throughly
2) Don't try to put this together the morning after you get off from working the 3rd shift while you are sleepy.

Yesterday when I got off I finally decided to install my Roto-Fab CAI. I ordered it from Brandon at IPS over a month ago, just now getting around to installing it.

At first everything was going fine. The directions are straight-forward and top notch. Actually you can really just look at the pictures and figure it out for the most part. So I was flying along and got to the point where I had to remove the MAF Sensor from my stock intake and screw it onto the Roto-Fab Intake pipe. Once again no problem......but it was. It seems in haste (and sleepiness) I used the factory srcrews to put the MAF on and not the ones that came with the Roto-Fab CAI. So now I have the screws stuck in there and the MAF is not tightened all the way down. I even took it to the Chevy dealership thinking they would have some kind of tool that would get them out but no.

So that's why I'm asking does anyone sell just the intake tube? The guy at the dealership told me since I can't get it out just go ahead and seal it onto the intake tube with some silicone/adhesive.

I can cut the screws and save the MAF sensor, but I would need a new tube from Roto-Fab after that.
Just an idea but tape off the sensor to protect it from heat,wrap in asbestos, and use a hair dryer to warm up the metal or plastic around the screws and back them out? Worth a try.Hope it works.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
King T

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie43 View Post
Its not clear to me what happened. Are you saying the screw threads in the tube are stripped? Why can't you remove the screws?

Alfie
Yeah. Since I used the longer factory screws instead of the shorter brass ones. I got the factory screws down as far as they would go. When I realized I had messed and tried to unscrew them it turns the brass threads that's inside the tube. So the whole thing turns
Old 04-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
tman52804

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS/RS
Cut screws, remove MAF. Drill out holes and put in a brass insert with the original thread size. You could use a keensert too.
MGW Short throw shifter
Kooks LT Headers/Hi flow Cats
Vmax TB
tman52804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #7
King T

Here's some pics. Sorry about the quality

Old 04-07-2010, 11:10 AM   #8
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
With some small vice grips on those screws will the inserts pull out of the plastic?

If they will, you could just expoxy some new inserts back in there. A good epoxy should hold just fine. The correct thread of screw going in there is hardly going to have any tq on it, and should be fine after the epoxy sets up.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Yeah. Since I used the longer factory screws instead of the shorter brass ones. I got the factory screws down as far as they would go. When I realized I had messed and tried to unscrew them it turns the brass threads that's inside the tube. So the whole thing turns
Cut the heads of the screws off with a dremmel so you can get the MAF sensor out.

Probably looking at needing another tube as the inserts are not repairable.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #10
King T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
With some small vice grips on those screws will the inserts pull out of the plastic?

If they will, you could just expoxy some new inserts back in there. A good epoxy should hold just fine. The correct thread of screw going in there is hardly going to have any tq on it, and should be fine after the epoxy sets up.
They didn't pull out so far. That's what the mechanic at the dealership was trying to do. He tried it with some locking grips and didn't get anything. And if they do pull out it takes a lot force to do it.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:17 AM   #11
King T

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
Cut the heads of the screws off with a dremmel so you can get the MAF sensor out.

Probably looking at needing another tube as the inserts are not repairable.
Yeah this is what I'm ultimately going to have to do I see.

I guess I'll call Mike up
Old 04-07-2010, 11:17 AM   #12
alfie43

Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
Quote:
I understand. It seems that your only hope is to remove the brass threaded inserts, re-drill the tube for a new insert with a larger OD but with the same internal thread size.

Here is a picture of a threaded insert made for plastic applications. I have used these successfully many times in radio control aircraft. They available at most hobby shops.

But, I would call Roto-Fab first and ask for their opinion.

Good luck, Alfie
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2010, 11:25 AM   #13
Mike TexaSS

Drives: 454 LS7 Camaro SS

Call Rotofab
Mike TexaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:25 AM   #14
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I wonder where the flange/shoulder is on that insert. If it's on the inside, you could cut the heads off those screws then shove the insert out the inside. If its on the outside, it should pull out with some force. Maybe warm up the plastic with a hair dryer. Pull the maf out a bit and see if you can tell how that insert is held in there.

If it didn't come out with someone pulling on the screws pretty hard, try pushing on the screws.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote