Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
ECUPirate83

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS IBM
Difference between Polishing and Waxing...

Please forgive me for asking this question , I had a Jeep Wrangler and always ran the jeep through a car wash at the gas station so I was never into detailing a vehicle

Is Polishing and Waxing the same thing?

I recently bought the Turtle Wax ICE and will use it the next time I wash my Camaro, now is that enough to protect from the elements or do I need to apply a Wax paste after polishing the vehicle?
ECUPirate83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
I used to use ICE liquid polish (still do on my stripes). For intensive purpose it's a synthetic wax/sealant. They confused a lot of people by calling the ICE line polish.

In general detailing terms no; Polish is Different than wax.

Polish - Fine abrasive compound used for heavy/light swirls and scratch removal
Wax - Protectant and or sealant.

The ICE liquid polish will hold up for about 4-6 weeks on a vehicle that is outdoors, however I found it difficult to remove because of a greasy feeling it leaves on the paint. Its not nessasary to follow with a wax, as its not a true polish.

If keeping up with this every 4-6wks is a bit too much I recommend a better polymer sealant - Meguiars NXT 2.0 (for over the counter purchase) or Adam's Buttery wax (Avail @ Adamspolishes.com) Both should last about 3 months on a vehicle kept outdoors.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUPirate83 View Post
Please forgive me for asking this question , I had a Jeep Wrangler and always ran the jeep through a car wash at the gas station so I was never into detailing a vehicle

Is Polishing and Waxing the same thing?

I recently bought the Turtle Wax ICE and will use it the next time I wash my Camaro, now is that enough to protect from the elements or do I need to apply a Wax paste after polishing the vehicle?
Thanks for asking, I keep forgetting which is which. This has been a long winter!!!
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote