Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-21-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
ECUPirate83

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS IBM
Normal to have bubbles in tint?

I had a tint job done about a month ago by the professional and paid $180.00 with 35 all around.

I noticed that I have small bubbles in the rear windows and it has not gone away as they told me it takes 3 days to go away. I had a very bad air pocket on my passenger side window and that has not gone away.

I went back to the tint shop yesterday for them to get it fixed but was advised by the installer that "it was normal" to have bubbles in the tint. He did admit that the passenger side window was messed up and would redo it. He told me to come back Monday to get it fix.

How are your tints, can you really notice some bubbles or am I just anal??

I was actually thinking about redoing my tints to 20% when he said that they will have to take it off to redo it and he quoted me I have to pay him $120 in cash because it was "illegal" to get less than 35% in NC ..you guys think I'm gonna get ripped off if I chose to get it darker.
ECUPirate83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
Krozzbow

Drives: 2LT/BB 3.6 V6 6-M Jun'09 #A9100242
Well, bubbles are normal to a certain point. If there are too many bubbles spread out than the person who installed them did not do a good job of squeegee all the excess water solution from beneath the tint. Although bubbles would appear eventually that’s when you do a retouch and remove them with caution or have them do it for you. I do my own tints in the shade at first than finish it with some sun for it to cure. Never had a bubble problem. Now for the 20% tint, is not a matter of feeling that you may get ripped off, but the days that fallow after the installation that is going to cause. You will enjoy them for awhile, but with a price. Soon you will get many surprise light show displays when patrol officers see your dark tints. Not worth getting less than what the law requires. Unless is just for show.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
Domic

Drives: '11 Chevy crew cab. '14 black 1LE
I did window tinting at a shop for years, bubbles showing in the tint is usually either dirt or like krozzbow said, the guy didn't squeegee out all the air/water when it was wet. Some brands of tint will stick down if you take a plastic squeegee to it, some won't look any different, but it doesn't hurt to try. If it's dirt then that's pretty much the way it's gonna look unless you re-do it. As far as paying cash for illegal tint, I would just say that your car is a cop magnet and I wouldn't do it myself.
Domic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
Brokenlizrd

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black/Charcoal
Send a message via Skype™ to Brokenlizrd
They shouldnt charge you any different to put on a "illegal" tint color. Its not illegal for them to install it, its illegal for you to drive with it. I wouldnt give a dollar to them

as for bubbles I would want the tint replaced. Iv tinted windows before and didnt have bubbles. They obviously just dont care and arn't taking their time doing your vehicle correctly
Brokenlizrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
pleigh

Drives: 2010 CGM 1LT A6
Paid cash for 20% all the way around and I also had him re-do the back window because it had bubbles as well. A couple very small bubbles are something you can probably live with but when he redid it it's now perfect. He told me sometimes the film, dirt, dust, etc.. can cause the bubbles. A good shop will redo it if it looks bad if they are at all concerned about your repeat business.

NO, the Rev limiter is not set to 118MPH... and YES, driving in this manner does affect MPG...
pleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #6
Chevyg1rl

Drives: Chevys
I don't think bubbles are normal. Have it redone, I have no bubbles in mine, it looks GREAT!
Old 03-21-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
MyIBMssRS

Drives: 10 IBM SS RS/14 1500 Z71
Bubbles are normal, but will usually go away after awhile. Especially after some warm sunlight beats down on it. If it doesn't clear up, have them do it again. Most shops will offer a lifetime warranty on their work, because they want you to be happy and recommend them to your friends.
MyIBMssRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
HondaPowered

Drives: '09 Honda Civic LX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUPirate83 View Post
I had a tint job done about a month ago by the professional and paid $180.00 with 35 all around.

I noticed that I have small bubbles in the rear windows and it has not gone away as they told me it takes 3 days to go away. I had a very bad air pocket on my passenger side window and that has not gone away.

I went back to the tint shop yesterday for them to get it fixed but was advised by the installer that "it was normal" to have bubbles in the tint. He did admit that the passenger side window was messed up and would redo it. He told me to come back Monday to get it fix.

I was actually thinking about redoing my tints to 20% when he said that they will have to take it off to redo it and he quoted me I have to pay him $120 in cash because it was "illegal" to get less than 35% in NC ..you guys think I'm gonna get ripped off if I chose to get it darker.
First of all, after a while bubbles should go away, if not, they didnt do a quality job. Second, if you are afraid of getting ripped of, find a shop that you trust.

Dream camaro is either a 1/2SS with RS, black with red stripes, or red with white stripes.

No rice with my order.
HondaPowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
roccky08

Drives: 2SS/RS Summit White/Beige Interior
Bubbles are not acceptable in my book. I've had an installer do over 6 vehicles over the span of 10 years and never, ever had a bubble. I would take it back and have them re-do it

edit: I do recall one time that I had to wait about 48 hours for the liquid to dry up. But it cleared up completely
- Pfadt End-links - Installed
- Pfadt Strut Tower Brace - Pending
- BMR Trailing Arm - Installed
- BMR Toe Rod - Installed
Thank you Vengeance Racing for install and recommendation
Thank you Borla for the ATAK Exhaust
roccky08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:49 PM   #10
ECUPirate83

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS IBM
thanks guys, I'm gonna make sure that I'm not leaving the place until they fix it monday or I'm gonna get a refund!
ECUPirate83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:01 PM   #11
StangKiller-SS

Drives: GM products
The only bubbles that should be there are the ones around any dot matrix. Tint doesn't take to dot matrix that well. Other wise the tint should be pretty well clean.
StangKiller-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:19 PM   #12
balthazar

Drives: Black 2SS/RS w/Ground Effects
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUPirate83 View Post

This sounds like an awful place that I would NEVER give money too again.

You are kinda stuck with letting them fix it because I doubt you could get a refund. But, charging more to put on an illegal level of tint is BS.

It's illegal for you to have it, but I don't know of a state where it is illegal to put it on a car. So he's telling you for $120 he'll do something illegal, but he's not doing anything illegal, or breaking the rules.

He's screwing you.

Edit: Oh and for the record, I've had 20% on my Z for the last five years, never gotten a ticket. Generally, if you aren't an ahole to a cop, and the cop isn't an ahole. They aren't going to mess with you.

You'd be amazed what a little respect and politeness will get you.

Drive like a retard, weave in and out of traffic, and just generally piss a cop off and...well, you are already getting a ticket. Cop has to be pretty bored/douchey to pull you over for nothing but tint.
balthazar is offline   Reply With Quote