Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-15-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
CyberDan

Drives: 1SS Camaro
Vehicle alignment after drop springs... Wtf?

I put a set of eibach pro lowering springs on my ss Wednesday, and aligned my car Saturday... My question is, the alignment shop didn't seem too concerned about Timing the bushings, but they said they did it "for a piece of mind". They may of loosened the bolts, but they didn't bounce it, and said they never have an issue with bushings. Did they do enough?

They also tell me that I need a set of 400 dollar camber crash plates in order to zero out the front camber, which by the read out is off by .3 degrees... Which is enough to have a slight pull to the right. Am I being jerked around? Or are these plates the only way to get my car to drive straight?

Thanks for anybodys help or suggestions
CAI Cold Air Intake, VMax CNC TB, Borla Sport Catback Exhaust, EE Oil Catch Can, Eibach Sway Bars and Drop Springs, AAC concept side markers, stealth signal bulbs, Heritage grille, Sparks Restorations front and rear modern SS emblems

Last edited by CyberDan; 08-15-2011 at 05:57 PM.
CyberDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
CyberDan

Can anybody offer any advice?
CAI Cold Air Intake, VMax CNC TB, Borla Sport Catback Exhaust, EE Oil Catch Can, Eibach Sway Bars and Drop Springs, AAC concept side markers, stealth signal bulbs, Heritage grille, Sparks Restorations front and rear modern SS emblems
Old 08-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Is there a particular reason you're looking to go with 0 front camber? Unless you're running extreme negative camber settings it's not camber that eats tires up, it's toe.

Here is a copy of our alignment guide, it should get you started at getting your alignment squared away.

Pfadt Race Engineering Alignment Recommendations.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
CyberDan

I just wanted the most stock setup, with even tire wear. No track racing, this is my dd.

Should I goto a different shop?
Old 08-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
JordonMusser

Drives: 2010 Momentum Race Group Camaro GS.
Different shop, that alignment is terrible.
-http://www.Mussco.com
-http://www.JordonMusser.com
JordonMusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordonMusser View Post
Different shop, that alignment is terrible.
-.3 degrees camber isn't enough to make you pull to the right, nor enough to eat up tires. I second the motion of finding another shop.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
FEN

Drives: BLACK 2SS/RS
I have the Eibach springs as well and the dealership had no issues when aligning my car and timing the bushings.
Eibach 1" Pro Spring Kit
Factory GFX
MPD1 spoiler
painted bowties
15% tint
FEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #8
CyberDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
-.3 degrees camber isn't enough to make you pull to the right, nor enough to eat up tires. I second the motion of finding another shop.
Anybody know of any good alignment shops in the dfw area?
Old 08-15-2011, 09:37 PM   #9
JordonMusser

Drives: 2010 Momentum Race Group Camaro GS.
Cyber-
Give us a call!
-http://www.Mussco.com
-http://www.JordonMusser.com
JordonMusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #10
CyberDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordonMusser View Post
Cyber-
Give us a call!
Hi Jordan, thanks for the help... But could you recommend a shop that's a little closer to Arlington? I live in south Mansfield, and that's a bit of a drive for me
Old 08-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #11
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
If you want it done right make the drive. I live in Grand Prairie and I have been to Momentum twice. Most places don't know about 5th gens, and their suspensions. They do.

If you still don't want to make the trip you can try Classic Chevy in Grapevine, but is it were me I would take the drive to Lewisville.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

Last edited by bkscott; 08-15-2011 at 10:44 PM.
bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:06 PM   #12
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDan View Post
I put a set of eibach pro lowering springs on my ss Wednesday, and aligned my car Saturday... My question is, the alignment shop didn't seem too concerned about Timing the bushings, but they said they did it "for a piece of mind". They may of loosened the bolts, but they didn't bounce it, and said they never have an issue with bushings. Did they do enough?

They also tell me that I need a set of 400 dollar camber crash plates in order to zero out the front camber, which by the read out is off by .3 degrees... Which is enough to have a slight pull to the right. Am I being jerked around? Or are these plates the only way to get my car to drive straight?

Thanks for anybodys help or suggestions
They don't know how to adjust camber on a ZETA chassis. Chevrolet did not incude the camber adjusting screw or the how to. Here is a picture of the camber screw.

Take your Camaro back to the alignment shop with these instructions:

1. Have them find a bolt in the shop that fits in the hole in the knuckle.
2. They loosen the clevis bolts and screw in for positive camber or out to increase negative camber. They can adjust camber through the wheel spokes with the alignment heads in place.
3. Tighten the clevis bolts.
4. Remove the temporary camber bolt or bolts.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:11 PM   #13
CyberDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkscott View Post
If you want it done right make the drive. I live in Grand Prairie and I have been to Mpmentum twice. Most places don't know about 5th gens, and their suspensions. They do.

If you still don't want to make the trip you can try Classic Chevy in Grapevine, but is it were me I would take the drive to Lewisville.
Thanks, like you said... If I want it done right...

Thanks justice Pete... But I honestly would like to avoid that alignment shop if possible, they seemed shady to begin with, so I don't want to risk Amy damage to my ride, I'll probably just make the trip to momentum.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #14
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDan View Post
Thanks justice Pete... But I honestly would like to avoid that alignment shop if possible, they seemed shady to begin with, so I don't want to risk Amy damage to my ride, I'll probably just make the trip to momentum.
That will work!
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote