Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

Old 12-02-2011, 03:46 AM   #1359
LostInMoscow
Exiled Speed Junkie

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
What a pass by Geno Smith. WVU can wrap it up here with a short fieldgoal.

Done WVU wins.
Sloppy, but they have at least a share of the BIG EAST championship! Great day to be a Mountaineer!
Old 12-02-2011, 06:11 AM   #1360
PonyMan

Drives: 2009 C6 4lt Vert, 2011 Camaro Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
You Serious ? Texas A&M Fires Coach Sherman ?
ATM at their best!!! Going into the SEC with a new Coach.....great! Sure not going to help recruiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUISSD View Post
Haha I love it. All of the smug, lousy A&M fans I know aren't spouting off as much as they used to. First they turn into crybabies over UT and the LHN, then get beat by UT at home in their final shove out the door, now this. Perfect.
Not our best year....rebuilding and all! BUT....hell of a lot better than the Ag's!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:38 AM   #1361
NoSyT
It's a Three Six, Vee Six

Drives: '12 AGM 2LT/RS & '14 Silverado LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
You Serious ? Texas A&M Fires Coach Sherman ?

IMO this was a stupid move. Your offense averaged 31+ points a Game and you fire the man who called your plays however its the Defense who lost those games for you and you keep that coach
They had a lead of 13 points or more in 5 games then let teams come back and beat them in the 2nd half. Sounds like to me they needed a New Defensive Cordinator or perhaps after Von Miller left they just needed to find a NEW leader on Defense ?

Ag's I can honestly say a part of me hates yall are leaving......Hell I sat at Kyle field last Thursday night until the lights dam near got turned off taking it in one last time. You have gone from our little brother to a future little sister of LSU

You Fired Francione and make a quick hire and brought in Mike sherman 4 years later after a record of 25 and 25 you fire him and now head to the SEC.

Do yourselves a Favor go for someone like Kirby smart. Dont get someone who understands A&M go for a SEC coach.
I agree with Jekyll for the most part.....Firing Coach Sherman wasn't the answer here. The rumor was Coach Sherman was actually looking to hire an offensive coordinator this off season. I thought that was great because I questioned the offensive play calling A LOT this year.

The DC, Tim DeRuyter, was having issues finding someone to step up for Von Miller, and the Aggies had the worst defensive secondary I ever remember seeing. All those leads where blown becasue the offense slowed down in the second half (lack of adjustments) and the DBs couldn't cover a decent Texas 5A High School WR, let alone a Big 12 WR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyMan View Post
ATM at their best!!! Going into the SEC with a new Coach.....great! Sure not going to help recruiting.

Not our best year....rebuilding and all! BUT....hell of a lot better than the Ag's!
Definitely not going to help recruiting. the 2012 Class had moved from #15 up to #6 or #7 (depending on which ranking you follow) as of this week.

Probably the most disappointing overall year for the Aggies that I remember since the BIG 12 formed.

I said before I wasn't sure if Sherman had the "fire" or "attitude" to be a SEC head coach like Saban or Miles but now I have no idea who they would even look at to replace Coach Sherman.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #1362
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
I read this on ESPN's article about the whole Aggie coach situation. I really liked their last lines about whoever will be the next head coach:

Quote:
The next head coach will come to College Station with a lot of promise. When he arrives, he will be given a lot of expectations. The Aggies want to hit the SEC ground running. By firing Sherman, all Texas A&M did was hit the ground.
Made me chuckle...

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #1363
PonyMan

Drives: 2009 C6 4lt Vert, 2011 Camaro Vert
Did you hear the Aggies joke about them firing their Coach before going to the SEC!
Old 12-02-2011, 09:37 AM   #1364
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUISSD View Post
Brady Hoke named Big10 Coach of the Year. That's his 3rd conference Coach of the Year award in the last 4 years, all 3 in different conferences (MAC, MWC, Big10). I think that speaks volumes to his coaching ability.

NO doubt we have the right coach. Love this guy!!!

GoBlue
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #1365
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Did you hear the Aggies joke about them firing their Coach before going to the SEC!
Here's a good quote I saw in the fan discussions about A&M firing Sherman:

Quote:
TAMU just did the equivalent up lubing up before their first bend over tour through the SEC.
Thought that was pretty funny

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #1366
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
That take some brass ones to fire your coach heading into a new conference. I don't see them doing too well next year for some strange reason, but you never know....the new coach will tell alot about what is coming.

I am so interested to see next years schedule.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #1367
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty D View Post
I agree with Jekyll for the most part.....Firing Coach Sherman wasn't the answer here. The rumor was Coach Sherman was actually looking to hire an offensive coordinator this off season. I thought that was great because I questioned the offensive play calling A LOT this year.

The DC, Tim DeRuyter, was having issues finding someone to step up for Von Miller, and the Aggies had the worst defensive secondary I ever remember seeing. All those leads where blown becasue the offense slowed down in the second half (lack of adjustments) and the DBs couldn't cover a decent Texas 5A High School WR, let alone a Big 12 WR.

This is imo what sucks when you are put on a high pedastal before the year starts.
I never understood how so many could expect so much from a team who lost there secondary and there main leader on Defense.

You are Correct about the offensive cordinator job that was in the works.
Sherman had a Good thing going for them with the offense the only Reason there offense looked so flat against UT was they didnt have There stand out senior RB Cyrus Grey. Same thing happened to our Offense when we lost Fozzy whitikar. A&M couldnt get a running game going Texas descised there rushes stacked the line and caused KAOS for A&M's offense. ( Diaz did the same thing when he coached at mississippi state against Florida and beat them )
Not much you can do when a defense locks up man to man with SWOPE and Fuller and Rushes everyone else and there is no Running Game.
only reason Fuller and A&M marched down that last time and scored was because byndom our CB who was locked on fuller went out with leg cramps. The very next play they went to Fuller and back to him two more times to get into scoring position and BAM TD. A&M wasnt stupid there playmaker was unleashed again.

IMO when Robert Gates left A&M a year or so ago and became defense secratary of the US Texas A&M lost a lot in upper managment. Right now upper managment is trying to make more money rather than get this university and program on a rail going in a straight line. A&M has managment problems right now and decision making isnt in the best place.

unless they land a huge coach ( IMO ) and they keep the recruits they have and they move FWD A&M may be hurting $$$$ wise after this buy out to sherman because he isnt going quietly. And if there Defensive cordinator is next as ESPN says then his buy out is 550K a year OUCH someone make better decisions.

How can anyone expect to replace a person like Von miller over night ? You can't
Yes Folks have to step up however to that caliber thats hard.

just as we were last year at the start of the season I think A&M's Defense was overrated from the Start. but then ratings are nothing but magazine editiors and opinions lol

the offense did there job this year the Defense didnt do there job they let teams comeback. Not much an offense can do when you lose one of your main horses. IMO another year or so of recruiting for A&M's 3-4 defense and a Offensive cordinator and A&M would have been moving in a better direction then they are now. This is only A&M's 2nd year under a 3-4 defense so there players on board right now were not recruited to play this Defense.
Von miller just made the defense look good last year with his atheltic ability.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #1368
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
As good as Alabama was in 2009 they lost a couple of folks and struggled on Defense- cost them 3 games in 2011........that is not something you can scheme up-talent always helps.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #1369
JUISSD

Drives: 2010 White/IOM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
That take some brass ones to fire your coach heading into a new conference. I don't see them doing too well next year for some strange reason, but you never know....the new coach will tell alot about what is coming.

I am so interested to see next years schedule.
The fact that A&M hasn't beaten a single SEC team since '95 is the first indicator that they won't have a good year next year. Add on to that the fact that they simply aren't that good right now, and now they'll be starting over with a new coach and possibly a new system. They're going to be doormats. Personally I think it's funny.

JUISSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:23 AM   #1370
Vulpine
'the Outcast'

Drives: N/A
Arrow Answer...

Quote:
Welcome to the College Football 2011 thread Vulpine! So, are you a fan or an alumni of any college? I ask because I need to know where to direct my "trash talk". So far you just seem to be a SEC fan, don't be afraid.....you can come out of the closet!
FCS Georgia Southern Alumni...and I will trash talk for the Dirty South! Look at our record in the FCS the Southern Conference is the SEC of the FCS and we have been top dawgs for quite some time. Six national championships in the FCS and almost made it to the championship game last year and we are in it to win it this year if we can go all the way again for a seventh. The great thing is I can go this year to Frisco if they make it there. The only other team in the FCS to have close to our NC title amount is Youngstown State with four. I do have to say though as for the BCS if they can get playoffs going it would be a lot better than it is now. But I am an ACC/SEC fan!
Vulpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:26 AM   #1371
Vulpine
'the Outcast'

Drives: N/A
Exclamation PLEASE READ...Part 1

ATLANTA -- This is what it feels like to be king of college football:
You get a table in the corner, order the vegetable plate and nosh.
It's a couple of afternoons before his 10th SEC Championship Game and Mike Slive is somehow containing himself. For those who don't know the humble 71–year-old head of the nation's most powerful conference, that might be hard to believe.
For those of us who do it's about as surprising as another Tyrann Mathieu forced fumble. The SEC and Slive are at the height of their power. The league is on an unprecedented run of five consecutive national championships. A chance at a sixth is almost assured no matter who wins Saturday's Georgia-LSU game at the Georgia Dome.
"Certainly not because of me," Slive said over lunch at the Atlanta Hyatt, the championship game's headquarters for the next few days.
There might be a more polite way to put it but ... B.S. The SEC was always been home to the most football-mad culture in the country. Former commissioner Roy Kramer got it to the 21st century. Slive has refined it, monetized and grown it over the past decade. He gave it a purpose and cleaned it up. The old SEC "culture" -- wink, wink -- while not eliminated, has been diminished.
Slive has done it with class and mostly without scandal. Yes, that even includes Auburn/Cam Newton. Finally. The NCAA saw fit to basically rubber stamp the Tigers' national championship a few weeks ago.
As Slive likes to continually add, there also have also been three straight baseball national championships and a couple of men's basketball titles during his watch. But a celebration is gathering here this weekend because the SEC has never been better, stronger or more marketable.
Want proof? Slive has invited a bunch of high school football buddies here from his old Utica (N.Y.) Free Academy team. More than a half century ago, the demur commissioner was their quarterback running the Single Wing and T-formation.
"Don't write that," he says out of modesty.
Behold what Slive has accomplished since then. A Dartmouth grad, Slive formed a boutique law firm in Chicago in the 1980s with former investigator NCAA Mike Glazier. Slive then decided to climb the commissioner ladder beginning with the old Great Midwest. When Kramer retired in 2001, SEC officials came after Slive who was then at Conference USA.
Everyone quickly learned about his style. He will agree to be interviewed but doesn't seek the spotlight. The job comes first. Slive has brought the league to a new age of legitimacy. TV networks want its games. The $3 billion deal with CBS and ESPN is barely two years old. The best players flock to its schools. It has broadened its borders with the addition of Missouri and Texas A&M.
Its football excellence is consolidated to the point that if LSU and Alabama finish 1-2 in Sunday's final BCS standings, the league will be assured of that sixth consecutive title. The only drama for Slive more than a month out would be which conference coach he would be handing the crystal football on Jan. 9.
"I'm a bit of a history buff," Slive admitted. "If it's 2030 and you're looking back on this era it has to be one of the golden ages."
A golden age complete with rock-star coaches, two of the best players of all time (Tim Tebow, Newton), jammed stadiums and boffo TV ratings. Great for SEC, but is this football monopoly great for college football?
"This is about the two best teams in the country and maybe brings focus to what the BCS initially set out to do," Slive said, "which is put the two best teams in the game. In essence, that's what the national championship is."
That's another way of saying things have worked out for the SEC. No one rigged the system. In fact, the system came to them. Football took it from there. The BCS provided the stage on which the SEC could tap dance to the championship game each year. In the old bowl system, it would have to rely on pollsters and other bowl results. In this system, the SEC champion has played in seven of the 13 BCS title games, winning six and is 5-0 under Slive.
"I always think back on LSU with two losses in 2007, then getting to the game and winning the game as a bit of a watershed," he said. "The acceptance by the voters. We were pretty good."
That was the year LSU was judged the best of a bunch of two-loss teams after losing at home to Arkansas 50-48. It won the SEC title game the next week, finished No. 2 in the BCS, then trounced Ohio State in the BCS title game. The Tigers remain the only two-loss team to win a national championship in the BCS era.
The man still didn't know what he had. Four months later, Slive was at the BCS meetings lobbying for a plus-one playoff. (Undefeated Auburn had been left out in 2004). Now, the league is just fine with chasing the top two spots each year.
"We've won five national championships without it so ... be careful what you wish for." Slive said.
Another thing about Slive. He delegates, relying on a tight group of lieutenants in the conference office. Associate commissioner Greg Sankey helped draft a set of SEC reform proposals this year that were basically adopted the NCAA. TV consultant Chuck Gerber speaks glowingly of the inventory Missouri and Texas A&M will bring. It's not that hard to figure out why. Merely labeling those previous outsiders "SEC" makes the TV package more valuable.
During a sometimes contentious transitioning by A&M and Mizzou, Slive, typically, laid low. The only embarrassing moment came when a press release announcing Missouri's entry was accidentally posted early to the conference's website.
The conference that gets everything it wants, jumped early. Go ahead, flag it. If that's as bad as it gets, well, the pressure isn't getting to the king. The final BCS standings are looming. Over post-lunch coffee, Slive doesn't look the least bit flustered.
"There's a little less anxiety," he said, "than there has been in other years."
Vulpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #1372
JUISSD

Drives: 2010 White/IOM 2SS/RS M6
Saying the SEC is in any way shape or form "clean" is tremendously laughable.

JUISSD is offline   Reply With Quote