Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-28-2015, 01:45 PM   #15
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
My bad, there are two different windshields:

http://www.gmpartsnow.com/auto-parts...indshield-scat
Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:14 PM   #16
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrillakilla13 View Post
Yup. The damn Arizona highways finally got me. I had a rock chip on the top of the windshield for awhile, but I pulled out of the car wash yesterday and got it back with a huge crack down the middle of it. Talked to the manager and long story short, he told me it was thermal expansions fault.

The good news is I have free windshield replacement with my insurance, no deductible.

My question though is about the HUD. I have a 2SS, which comes with it; will I still be able to see it alright after the replacement? I'm getting it done through "Safelite", and I specified through them that my car has the HUD. Should I be alright? Anybody got any experience with this?
I have no idea what Safelite does, but GM installs a different windshield on cars with HUD. If it were me, I'd want to make sure that they are using a HUD windshield. The image will be fuzzier, if they don't and would be downgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mayfield View Post
Its a reflection…….its not a special windshield.
It is a reflection and it IS a special windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonK View Post
I use the app, HUD Speedometer when driving my 66 Mustang. I guess Ford used special glass 49 years ago?
I have no idea what a app, HUD speedometer is, but nobody's saying that it won't work on a regular windshield. It just works BETTER on a HUD windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mayfield View Post
Hmmm you can add HUD to a camaro without changing the windshield…

http://www.gen5diy.com/DIY_kits/HUD/

My daughters motherinlaw works for a glass shop, I asked her to check on a 2013 camaro, 2SS and a 1SS.
Yes you can and a lot of people do that, but If you have a factory equipped HUD, you have a special windshield. And if it gets broken, you would want to replace it with a HUD windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
You can have a HUD with any windshield, but if you want it to be crisp, clear and colored, you use the special glass like GM does on the Camaro. It's a fact - GM uses an expensive glass for the HUD cars. To the OP - I would try to get an OEM glass if I were you.

Why is everyone being a douchebag about this?
This^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
Nobody's being a douchebag. They're just not convinced that the HUD could be any more clear on the HUD designed glass than the "regular" glass. It will work, but it's faintly more fuzzy from what I've seen.

I'm in the camp that if you get the chance to upgrade your glass to the HUD glass and you have a HUD, then use it. It actually is a sharper reflection.
I don't know that douchebag is the right word, but we clearly have some doubters on a subject that has been discussed many times over on this site.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:49 PM   #17
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Take it from me. I installed the Hud in my 2010 and it was blurry. Not unusable blurry but not crisp. It is like having double vision since your seeing the bud reflect off inside and outer edges of the glass. The hud version has a coating to prevent this from happening. I got a crack and replaced it with correct hud version glass. It is much clearer now. You can use either glass but why get something with less his clarity?
Heres the stock OEM windshield with hud.

Here is Hud Windshield
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.

Last edited by Rcfiddy1; 03-28-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:48 PM   #18
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Hey guys, I just replaced my windshield 2 weeks ago on my 13 ss 2ss/rs. I said f**k 800 for an oem hud windshield and paid 160.00 for a new aftermarket non hud. I can barely tell the difference and will do it again if i had to. Ironically i had to repalce the windshield in my 06 c6 vette which had hud as well, I used the same cheap one and again no significant difference.

My shit for luck this month I get to replace the windshield on the Z06 too thanks to my clumsy ass borther "helping me" change wiper blades
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:45 AM   #19
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
demand they put a oem one in. iv never had a problem with it. They say they want to use a cheap aftermarket but I insist they use a oem one and they always say ok.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:26 AM   #20
F-16 Camaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrillakilla13 View Post
Yup. The damn Arizona highways finally got me. I had a rock chip on the top of the windshield for awhile, but I pulled out of the car wash yesterday and got it back with a huge crack down the middle of it. Talked to the manager and long story short, he told me it was thermal expansions fault.

The good news is I have free windshield replacement with my insurance, no deductible.

My question though is about the HUD. I have a 2SS, which comes with it; will I still be able to see it alright after the replacement? I'm getting it done through "Safelite", and I specified through them that my car has the HUD. Should I be alright? Anybody got any experience with this?
Ask for Safelite to replace it with an OEM HUD windshield.

If your insurance rejects it, ask for an after market HUD replacement. They exist.
F-16 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:34 AM   #21
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
I don't know that douchebag is the right word, but we clearly have some doubters on a subject that has been discussed many times over on this site.
I was simply responding to the comment made in post 11.

Luckily, here in SC, the law states that insurance companies cannot charge a deductible on your comprehensive insurance policy for safety glass replacement, even if you have a deductible on your comp. Nor can they dictate who you go to or what brand of glass you get in order to get your glass replaced. If they have a list of preferred providers (they usually do) and if you choose one of them, then the claim is guaranteed by the insurer (i.e., if it leaks or other problems, the insurer deals with the glass shop, no cost to you).

There's very few stipulations on it, but in general, here in SC, if you accidently break your HUD windshield they're supposed to replace it with a HUD without any out of pocket expense if you have comp insurance.

Obviously if you need an upgrade from non-HUD to HUD, you'd probably have to pay the difference out of pocket. Depending how shady your glass installer is.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:55 AM   #22
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
I was simply responding to the comment made in post 11.
Yeah, and I made post 11. My comment about the douchebag attitudes displayed in the thread were directed at people telling the OP that there was no difference between HUD and non-HUD glass. That is simply WRONG. There is a difference, and it has been discussed many, many times on this site. There have been multiple threads with photos displaying the difference.

...and to make it worse...The OP has insurance, and he also has a car that came with the factory HUD system. He should demand OEM HUD glass, because that's what his car originally had... and that's what got broken. It isn't gonna cost him a dime, so why send him down the wrong path? If he gets cheap glass, he will notice a difference in quality. Period. It would be different if he was installing aftermarket HUD and trying to save money, but he isn't. He's getting his original glass replaced.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:04 PM   #23
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
Ive been called worse things than a douchebag…by better.
Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:05 PM   #24
guerrillakilla13

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Thanks for your input guys. I did call safelite and made sure they get me a OEM windshield and they said they could oblige. I know aftermarket would be cheaper and probably as good, but I just don't want to take that risk. Plus insurance is paying for it, not me
guerrillakilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:10 PM   #25
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
Yeah, and I made post 11. My comment about the douchebag attitudes displayed in the thread were directed at people telling the OP that there was no difference between HUD and non-HUD glass. That is simply WRONG. There is a difference, and it has been discussed many, many times on this site. There have been multiple threads with photos displaying the difference.

...and to make it worse...The OP has insurance, and he also has a car that came with the factory HUD system. He should demand OEM HUD glass, because that's what his car originally had... and that's what got broken. It isn't gonna cost him a dime, so why send him down the wrong path? If he gets cheap glass, he will notice a difference in quality. Period. It would be different if he was installing aftermarket HUD and trying to save money, but he isn't. He's getting his original glass replaced.
So I'm a db? I replaced mine with cheap aftermarket and trust me I'm more than financially able to buy oem. I chose to save by going cheap and I have zero regrets. I'll be a db and.save 650+ in my pocket.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:19 PM   #26
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
So I'm a db? I replaced mine with cheap aftermarket and trust me I'm more than financially able to buy oem. I chose to save by going cheap and I have zero regrets. I'll be a db and.save 650+ in my pocket.
You didn't even post on this topic until after the comment was made. The OP has insurance paying, so totally different situation. But since you asked, and since you are all butt hurt over a comment that had nothing to do with you... the answer is yes.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:30 PM   #27
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
I you have read every thing you would read that Insurance is paying for the windshield and he would not have a cent for it. He can get OEM hud windshield for nothing so that beats your $150.00 out of pocket money for and inferior glass.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:28 PM   #28
Fieryfight

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT IBM Convertible
I had mine replaced by safe lite and specified that I had the hud they replaced it and I can not tell it's not stock

Fieryfight is offline   Reply With Quote