Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 04-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #71
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Bump again.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #72
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
Bump again.
This is the same thread I used a couple weeks of go when I took off my diffuser. It worked great, but I highly recommend using the WD 40 on each tab in addition to following these directions. That really seemed to help from having to tug on the diffuser that much when trying to remove it. Very good write-up though.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #73
ZuluKilla8

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS RJT
Just painted my tips and took the defuser off, great write up...I had a problem with one tab, second from the left...after that they all just popped out with arm strength.

Thanks for the write up
2010 Camaro SS LS3 Holley Hi-Ram Manifold,Custom grind boost cam,Vortech V-3,10Rib 3.47 Pully Airfilter Pipe Delete, 10 PSI, TSP LT Headers, Flowmaster Outlaws, Alky Control Meth Kit, PFADT 1.25, ZL1 Fuel Pump, DSS 1000HP axles, Mantic ER2 Clutch, Full BMR rear suspension drag pack upgrade. C6 Vette 18 rims with M/T 305 out back. COPO Hood
Race Proven Motorsports tuned
ZuluKilla8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:18 PM   #74
keef

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Black w/ gray stripes
Wish I'd seen the WD40 trick before I gave up and put all the screws backl in haha. I was pulling so hard I didn't want to risk effing it up, not even the outermost top tabs would budge.

I'll give it another go this weekend with some WD 40.

Either way, awesome write and great tips from others.
keef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:45 PM   #75
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemuscle View Post
This is the same thread I used a couple weeks of go when I took off my diffuser. It worked great, but I highly recommend using the WD 40 on each tab in addition to following these directions. That really seemed to help from having to tug on the diffuser that much when trying to remove it. Very good write-up though.
Yes, Buddy did a good job with DIY thread, but if I was to going do it again I would remove the rear facia first.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #76
Klepton

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, LS3, SW w/ IOM package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
Yes, Buddy did a good job with DIY thread, but if I was to going do it again I would remove the rear facia first.

I agree! When installing my quad-tip exhaust and 1LE diffuser, I removed the stock diffuser with the fascia in place. It was such a PITA to remove, because I had to pull so hard, and the fascia flexed so much, that it felt like something was going to break or bend out of shape! I removed the rear fascia when replacing my backup lights with LEDs, and was amazed at how quick and easy it is to remove the complete fascia. A few months later, I noticed that there was a section on the right side of the diffuser that looked out of place. I decided to remove the fascia to inspect the diffuser, and found that a couple of tabs on the right side had not popped into place correctly/completely. They had bent outside of the indentations and not popped in.

It is by far much easier to remove/install the diffuser with the fascia removed! Use the video found in the following thread to remove the rear fascia: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267041
It takes less that 5 minutes to remove it.

Last edited by Klepton; 07-17-2014 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Added link to video for rear fascia removal
Klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:19 PM   #77
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
is the bottom of the bumper cover accessible from behind after the diffuser comes off? i have a dent i want to try and pop out, but i need to be able to push it from behind. it's about 18 inches from the center of the bumper, but again, at the very bottom part of the bumper, in fact the portion that attaches the diffuser. i can't decide if i should take the whole bumper off yet or if taking the diffuser off alone will be enough.

to be honest the bumper removal looks like it's just the same amount of work as taking the diffuser off. anyone that has done both care to refute or confirm that claim?
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #78
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Thank- you, AUS10BMX and Camaro5! I had to remove the rear diffuser because I got so much dirt crammed up in there after a brief offroad excursion that it just wasn't going to come clean without removing parts.

I had tried and tried... couldn't get the damn thing off. However, with the help of AUS10BMX's amazingly detailed and informative instruction--- AND A LOT OF WD-40)--- I have succeeded.

I will reiterate: WD-40 makes all the difference... the instructions were mandatory, but without the WD-40, I'd STILL be outside cursing and throwing stuff and cursing some more and considering just leaving the car to drip mud throughout eternity.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:23 PM   #79
orangecrush2013

Drives: 2013- 2LT- Inferno Orange
WD or prayers nothing works it won t come off........Im afraid of damaging the bumper...too bad I can t release the tabs from behind the diffuser
orangecrush2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:42 PM   #80
orangecrush2013

Drives: 2013- 2LT- Inferno Orange
My diffuser was damaged when I bought the car and I didn t notice it until I got it home. The dealer shipped me a new one and I thought it would be easy to replace it. Im not a newby I know my way around cars but getting the damn thing off has wasted hours of my time. Where did you squirt the WD 40? Did you squirt it in from the front or the back? Today I sanded the scuffed portion down of the diffuser with varying grits of sanding blocks then compounded it out with a buffing wheel
. It looks pretty good in case I have to live with it and donate the new diffuser to the Smithsonian. I guess I can always take it to a body shop and let them put it on.
orangecrush2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:37 PM   #81
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush2013 View Post
My diffuser was damaged when I bought the car and I didn t notice it until I got it home. The dealer shipped me a new one and I thought it would be easy to replace it. Im not a newby I know my way around cars but getting the damn thing off has wasted hours of my time. Where did you squirt the WD 40? Did you squirt it in from the front or the back? Today I sanded the scuffed portion down of the diffuser with varying grits of sanding blocks then compounded it out with a buffing wheel
. It looks pretty good in case I have to live with it and donate the new diffuser to the Smithsonian. I guess I can always take it to a body shop and let them put it on.
There are screws at the bottom. Take the new one and line it up, there are 5-7 tabs at the top, THESE are the SOBs!!! Since you have one to replace it, you don't have to worry about damaging it. Start at one end,PULL the B***h, you could use a plastic puddy knife to put between the body and the diffuser. Once you get that end out you can get behind the diffuser. Good Luck!
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:59 PM   #82
Klepton

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, LS3, SW w/ IOM package
It is by far much easier to remove/install the diffuser with the fascia removed! Use the video found in the following thread to remove the rear fascia: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267041
It takes less that 5 minutes to remove it.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:17 AM   #83
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
thanks for the write up! gonna pull mine off here in a few days
Old 03-06-2015, 09:33 PM   #84
Harrisonda09

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush2013 View Post
WD or prayers nothing works it won t come off........Im afraid of damaging the bumper...too bad I can t release the tabs from behind the diffuser
If you are still trying to remove, I just did mine this past week. The bolt type has changed from 7mm to the star bit (T15). also, make sure you removed all of the bolts or it will not come off. I tried and tried, come to find out there are bolts behind the wheel well (if you crawl under the car and reach between the muffler and bumper, you should be able to feel where the diffuser and bumper meet. move your hand to where the bumper, diffuser, and rear wheel well meet and you should have another bolt there).

PS: The middle snaps are much easier with a flat head screwdriver and a shammy.

Best of luck.
Harrisonda09 is offline   Reply With Quote