Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-30-2009, 07:36 PM   #15
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Just to play it safe, I'll do a couple of hard launches a few blocks away from the dealership, just in case...

=bobby
Old 07-30-2009, 07:44 PM   #16
carguy
Carguy

Drives: 57Chevy,67,80,2@10's camaro's,04SSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
You have a blower don't you?

-bobby
yep...Thought it was rear end at first because speedo worked but once I got someone else with me I had them watch the drive shaft and it doesn't turn so Has to be back half of tranny somewhere.

Fortunately I have a trailer and took it to dealer. ( Guess what was there,,,the guy that got his camaro after mine, his car was there with a blown tranny and they had it a part. His was only second gear.

I am hoping its an output shaft. Dealer thinks I am alright with warranty but I won't know until tomorrow.

I didn't loose any fluids though and from what I have been reading everyone who lost an output shaft was loosing fluid., so I guess I will know tomorrow.

I guess we will terst the warranty thing....

What sucks is it wasn't even a launch just shifting into sevond at about 4500rpm.

Hennesy and LINGY are launcjing those things with gummys. It was nothing like that.

I think it is a heat treat problem with output shafts myself but as I said I will know tomorrow.

I will keep everyone posted on what it is and how my dealer handles it.

I have a great dealer so this may help people concerned about adding a blower on whether or not you should take the chance.

No biggie if they don't cover it but I am more concerned about the ability of the tranny's to hold up.

It would have gone without the blower I wasn't even in it that hard...Heck I was in town ( small town not like I can get away with that in the city here everyone including the cops know me.

Anyway..the biggest bummer is my son was going to take his senior pictures with the car on Monday and since I let him Bring it home it was a pretty big deal for him.

That is what I am really feeling Bad about!

2010 SS/RS LS3, 21" Rims, SLP lowering Kit & sway bars, TVS2300, Hennesy CAI, Kooks LT Headrers & Cats, Corsa Exhaust, RIP Shift ST shifter, SLP Hood & Spoiler, Slp Black out package - Grill SS & Rear SS Emblems, ADM Dual Fuel Pump , 3.6 upper Pulley, 10% overdriven Innovators West Crank Pulley& Pin Kit.

.................................................. ..............................
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:50 PM   #17
carguy
Carguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
You might want to mention that "little" addition to your car's engine before making that statement. These shafts could have fractured a run or two before it actually broke. Don't tell me you didn't try the blower out a few times....

No Gripes hear I knew the possibility of driveline failure and I am willing to except that responsability if The power adder created the problem.

I also know that there are alot of blown camaro's that have been flogged by guys at the track with Gummy's etc (Hennesy and lingy)

That I have not done.

I have not done any Launches in the car or Burn outs. Didn't need to Think hooks and goes I just find it a little suspisous Given that Hennesy and lingy are pumping up the boost and Flogging them on a regular basis and I haven't heard of any issues from them.

Besides I have cars that I love doing burn outs in...the thing I like about the New camaro's ( I Guess There are many but) is they hook up so well. No need to dump the clutch just let the clutch out easy and stand on it and go. Love the G's..

Not Complaining...Still love my car and I have always known youi gotta pay to play. No worries, I have blown, motors,trannys,and rear ends for a lot of years now. Just nuts and bolts it will get fixed. Just thought I would let everyone know so they can make informed decisions on their mods etc.

I still do believe that the tranny should have held up.

If I would have been launching or doing burn outs it would have been different....I do believe there is a heat treating problem somewhere.

Like I mentioned before the guy that bought his car after mine who has no mods was at the dealer today with his tranny blown.

There is a real problem there somewhere.

Anyway, life goes on for me. I will just get my Blown 80 Z28 out and go hammer that for a while, which by the way has the original tranny and rearend holding 600HP and has since I bought it new 30 years ago ( Turbo 350)

Even With More Tire I might add...

If that one goes I have several more options to choose from. Been building cars for years.

I will still miss my 2010 though. I really love it and wouldn't change a thing. As soon as I get it back we will try it out for real next time. If it goes than....

It will be time to start shopping for a tranny that will hold up cause that power adder ain't comin off!

2010 SS/RS LS3, 21" Rims, SLP lowering Kit & sway bars, TVS2300, Hennesy CAI, Kooks LT Headrers & Cats, Corsa Exhaust, RIP Shift ST shifter, SLP Hood & Spoiler, Slp Black out package - Grill SS & Rear SS Emblems, ADM Dual Fuel Pump , 3.6 upper Pulley, 10% overdriven Innovators West Crank Pulley& Pin Kit.

.................................................. ..............................
Old 07-30-2009, 08:53 PM   #18
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
How long will the car be tied up?

-bobby
Old 07-30-2009, 09:01 PM   #19
carguy
Carguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
How long will the car be tied up?

-bobby
Don't Know the dealer was telling me he had been getting the run around on the other guys car on parts. didn't know when they would be available and they sent some wrong so who knows.

I have seen some posts where they just replaced the whole tranny .

I didn't get to the Dealer until 5pm so we checked it out enough that we don't believe its the rear. They are going to tear it apart tomorrow.

If its an output shaft and I get a new tranny not long ( A week or so maybe)...if they have to rebuild it who knows, sounds like parts might be an issue.

If they do rebuild it and its on my dime...I might be searching for some stronger inards....

Old 07-31-2009, 10:08 AM   #20
carguy
Carguy

update....

From Service Manager.....

SNAPPED OFF TAIL SHAFT CALLING GM TO SEE WHAT THERE RECOMMENDED REPAIR IS AND I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT WE WILL BE DOING TO FIX YOUR CAR AND HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE.
-JJ

GM Service Posting.....

xTooltipElement

Service Information

Camaro (VIN F)Service Manual | Document ID: 2295976

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#PIP4666A: Vehicle Will Not Move In Any Gear - (Jun 26, 2009)

Subject:
Vehicle Will Not Move In Any Gear

Models:
2010 Chevrolet Camaro

Equipped With The Tremec 6-Speed Manual Transmission RPO M10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to change conditions and recommendations. Please discard PIP4666.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Customer may comment that the vehicle will not move in any gear. Technicians may find the transmission output shaft broken.

Recommendation/Instructions:

If a vehicle comes into the dealer with the concern described above please contact the General Motors Technical Assistance Center at 1-877-446-8227 (USA) or 1-800-263-7740 (Canada) and follow the prompts to Camaro Action Center and set a TAC case.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:44 AM   #21
carguy
Carguy

The final word.... From My Dealer.

GM IS SENDING US A TRANS ASSEMBLY (W/UPDATED COMPONENTS) THAT WE SHOULD RECEIVE MON. OR TUES. I WILL TREAT THIS AS A WARRANTY REPAIR DUE TO THIS BEING A KNOWN DEFECT. WE WILL HAVE YOU BACK ON THE ROAD SOON!

Old 08-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #22
oilman63
rjt ordered 10-15 2ss

Drives: 2010 2SS badass camaro
Busted tranny

Add me to the list.3300 miles:(
oilman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:55 PM   #23
69er

Drives: 69 Z/28 , 83 Z/28 (L69), 10 2SS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman63 View Post
Add me to the list.3300 miles:(
What's your VIN?
69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:36 PM   #24
oilman63
rjt ordered 10-15 2ss

Drives: 2010 2SS badass camaro
vin

12382 I guess my harleys gonna get a little attention it deserves
oilman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:57 AM   #25
carguy
Carguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman63 View Post
12382 I guess my harleys gonna get a little attention it deserves
No Worries man....They Will Have you back on the road in no time.

If its an output shaft they will fed ex your dealer a new trans assembly. He will have it in a couple days mine was shipped friday and sould be here Monday.

And as long as the trans is out and they have to put a shifter back on it is a great time to upgrade shifters.

At least that's what I'm thinking.

I never seem to put them back together without upgrading something.

Might as well turn a Neg. into a Pos.

Got a rip shift going on mine!

Old 08-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #26
nuptualnemesis
NuptualNemesis

Drives: Silver 1SS M6 - 480hp 11.57/120.79
Broken Transmission Output Shaft
Broke my output shaft Sunday night. Vin 13782. Third or fourth launch in competition mode. Also made three or four with traction control and competition mode turned off between 2500 and 3500 rpm. I am afraid this is not limited to a certain batch of vehicles. 4200 rpm dumps too much energy into the drive train. I don't think ABS kicking in to limit wheel spin can help either. ABS is supposed to be less aggressive in competition mode. ABS may kick in too soon and be part of the problem. I think competition mode will break any drive train sooner or later.

This appears to be similar to the problem they had with the Nissan GT-R last year. They soon said use of launch mode on solid surface voids warranty. They said it was only for getting out of ice or slippery surface. This year they reduced rev limiter from around 4200 to 3200 rpm.

DON'T USE COMPETITION MODE. You don't need it. Turn it and traction control off by holding button down for seven seconds. Launch between 3000 and 3200 rpm by driving out. Don't dump clutch but don't slip it either. CAUTION: slipping the clutch will burn up the clutch. Let clutch out like taking off from a stop and press gas pedal like taking off from a stop, don't stomp it. This should be much easier on entire drive line and will decrease 60 foot times.

I love my car but I am holding on to my JD Powers new car survey to see how long this takes to be repaired. More than a week is too long. If you haven't returned your survey yet, you may want to hold onto it.

Last edited by nuptualnemesis; 08-05-2009 at 08:42 AM.
nuptualnemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:17 AM   #27
carguy
Carguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuptualnemesis View Post
Broken Transmission Output Shaft
Broke my output shaft Sunday night. Vin 13782. Third or fourth launch in competition mode. Also made three or four with traction control and competition mode turned off between 2500 and 3500 rpm. I am afraid this is not limited to a certain batch of vehicles. 4200 rpm dumps too much energy into the drive train. I don't think ABS kicking in to limit wheel spin can help either. ABS is supposed to be less aggressive in competition mode. ABS may kick in too soon and be part of the problem. I think competition mode will break any drive train sooner or later.

This appears to be similar to the problem they had with the Nissan GT-R last year. They soon said use of launch mode on solid surface voids warranty. They said it was only for getting out of ice or slippery surface. This year they reduced rev limiter from around 4200 to 3200 rpm.

DON'T USE COMPETITION MODE. You don't need it. Turn it and traction control off by holding button down for seven seconds. Launch between 3000 and 3200 rpm by driving out. Don't dump clutch but don't slip it either. CAUTION: slipping the clutch will burn up the clutch. Let clutch out like taking off from a stop and press gas pedal like taking off from a stop, don't stomp it. This should be much easier on entire drive line and will increase 60 foot times.

I love my car but I am holding on to my JD Powers new car survey to see how long this takes to be repaired. More than a week is too long. If you haven't returned your survey yet, you may want to hold onto it.
I got Whole new tranny Fed Exed Overnight...Supposedly with " Upgraded Components." I think It's a heat treat problem with the output shaft...Too brittle!

IMHO................

Old 08-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #28
nuptualnemesis
NuptualNemesis

Drives: Silver 1SS M6 - 480hp 11.57/120.79
I was told today covered under warranty and new transmission coming from Texas. Could be ready by Friday.

GM I am impressed. I have always been a Ford/Lincoln man until now, but I can't say enough about The way this has been handled. I knew when I saw the specs and price on this vehicle I had to have it and ordered it last October 17.

I still have my '77 Cobra II Mustang with 347 Stroker - a 29 year relationship. I hope to have this Camaro thirty years from now along with my Cobra.
nuptualnemesis is offline   Reply With Quote