Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #43
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvici View Post
Does anyone know if this was resolved for the 2014 model year?.
to my knowlege there has been nothing done because GM and eaton have not acknowleged any issue publicly that I have seen.

the issolator rattle that some people don't like is by design and will not change. now why the bearings on some are running dry could be a manufactuing or QC issue so who knows how that will all play out.

I have not heard one comment about a revision to the assembly in any way though. Maybe someone who is getting the swap will know if the assembly has been revised in any way.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #44
lmtz79

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
My ZL1 has 4432 miles and now it is making a rattling noise from the supercharger. Is this something a performance shop could fix???? Sounds like having the dealer replacing the supercharger will only be a temporarily fix.
lmtz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #45
Baer383

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Ashen Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtz79 View Post
My ZL1 has 4432 miles and now it is making a rattling noise from the supercharger. Is this something a performance shop could fix???? Sounds like having the dealer replacing the supercharger will only be a temporarily fix.
GM has a updated SC that can replace yours and it has a solid isolator in it, getting them to do it is another thing.

MODS, a lot of money,a lot of parts,a lot of time,a lot of patience.

754 RWHP 747 RWTQ 93 Octane

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347243
Baer383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #46
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
having the dealer replace it retains the warranty and would cost nothing.

having a speed shop fix it would void the warranty and you would have to foot the bill.

It will be up to the dealer to decide if the rattle exceeds the permissible level and falls under the warranty.

From what we understand, it seems that somewhere, perhaps for the 2014 MY, the SC was changed, and now uses a solid coupler now rather than the spring loaded one. If that's true, then the replacement SC the dealer would install would have the same fix that a speed shop would have done. replace the spring-loaded coupler with a solid one.

the entire SC is a single replaceable unit so the dealer would be replacing the entire unit, not just the coupler for a solid one.

Let the dealer fix it under warranty.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #47
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
some bitches whine all the time, they start off slow, then when they want something, they begin to whine. Yours obviously wants something, are you feeding it premium?
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #48
The Baron

Drives: 2013 zl1
the rattling noise and the squeal are two totally diff things... you guys need to realize there IS NOTHING THE COUPLER CAN DO THAT WILL CAUSE A SQUEAL. it could fall into pieces and t would not squeal. it simply connects to shafts together... that's it.. if the car is squealing it IS NOT THE COUPLER...

2011 cts-v coupe (pinky) wifes car.. ls9 cam c.a.i. 11.44
2007 corvette vert ..retired..
2013 zl1 stock blower stock ci 20" wheels 10.36 135...so far..
The Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #49
Baer383

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Ashen Gray
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
the rattling noise and the squeal are two totally diff things... you guys need to realize there IS NOTHING THE COUPLER CAN DO THAT WILL CAUSE A SQUEAL. it could fall into pieces and t would not squeal. it simply connects to shafts together... that's it.. if the car is squealing it IS NOT THE COUPLER...
Thats what he said "rattle"

MODS, a lot of money,a lot of parts,a lot of time,a lot of patience.

754 RWHP 747 RWTQ 93 Octane

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347243
Baer383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:49 AM   #50
lmtz79

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Supercharger rattle

I took my car to the dealer and I was told that the rattle was normal. Not only that...that there wasn't a check engine light on so there wasn't a problem. I just had a performance shop check the isolator coupler and the coupler was broken. Had them replace with a solid isolator and no more rattle.
Attached Images

lmtz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:01 AM   #51
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
I took my car to the dealer and I was told that the rattle was normal. Not only that...that there wasn't a check engine light on so there wasn't a problem. I just had a performance shop check the isolator coupler and the coupler was broken. Had them replace with a solid isolator and no more rattle.
from what I can remember, the original bulletin from GM regarding the rattle gave some guidelines for judging if the rattle noise was a true warranty concern or not.

A certain amount of rattle was/is entirely normal due to the design. However (and this is where my memory fails me), I believe it stated that if the rattle was still present above 1500rpm, then that was abnormal and they would replace the SC as a unit.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #52
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
I think the dealership starts the car, turns all accessories off with the Windows closed revs engine up and let's the engine come back to idle. If the marble noise is still noticeable inside the car then they will replace the SC. I have a coworker that has had his replaced twice now for the same marble noise. His car was making the noise the first time when he bought it new. Mine hasn't really done it yet unless I can't hear it. Just waiting so when it is replaced I can start the mods.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #53
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR ZL1 View Post
I think the dealership starts the car, turns all accessories off with the Windows closed revs engine up and let's the engine come back to idle. If the marble noise is still noticeable inside the car then they will replace the SC. I have a coworker that has had his replaced twice now for the same marble noise. His car was making the noise the first time when he bought it new. Mine hasn't really done it yet unless I can't hear it. Just waiting so when it is replaced I can start the mods.

...and now the replacement SC comes with a solid isolator.

Tags
problem, supercharger, whine noise, zl1