Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
ICEMAN 316

Drives: FAST
DON'T BUY H&R Springs..Horrible Customer Service

I installed the H&R Super Sport Springs on Friday and the rear just bounces like no tomorrow. I've been modding cars for 18 yrs and I've used H&R springs since 1999 so I'm used to the rougher ride sometimes but I have never had a set of springs that felt like this. It feels as bad as if you cut your stock springs. At 65mph and you hit a little bump on the freeway your car feels like it's going to loss control. I'm in Southern California too so our roads are pretty smooth.
So today I had enough and decided to call H&R tech support. At first the tech guy say's he has heard people complaining that the Super Sport springs were bouncy in the rear so he puts me on hold for about 3 mins and comes back with a new attitude of I'm the only one that has the problem and there is nothing he could do. So I said you guys are aware of this issue and still put this product out and that is irresponsible as a company. He said no one has called in about this issue. He said you're the only one that complained about this. I said to him you said earlier that you have heard about this issue and now you're saying I'm the only one that has this issue? He said don't put words in my mouth I never said that. So I said is there anything you can do to make this right? He said no and told me to call who ever sold me the springs to call H&R. So I asked him if the store calls you guys is there anything you guys could do for them and he says no. So I said basically you're trying to get me off the phone and go chase my tail and end up in the same position? I mean I thought H&R was a great company that puts out good products and I would've thought they would stand by the products they sell. I guess not. They have no customer service at all. They just have an attitude. This is the last time I will buy any H&R product. Guess my loyalty since 1999 doesn't matter to them.
ICEMAN 316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
Jaysin

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS
One thing you may try doing is resetting AKA "re-timing" the rear bushings. Sometimes when lowering the car the stock bushings get in a bind, in effect creating a spring like condition which causes excess bounce. You can read more about how to do this by searching for "timing" or bushing retiming" in the suspension section. The springs themselves could be perfectly fine.
Jaysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2014 Z28 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
One thing you may try doing is resetting AKA "re-timing" the rear bushings. Sometimes when lowering the car the stock bushings get in a bind, in effect creating a spring like condition which causes excess bounce. You can read more about how to do this by searching for "timing" or bushing retiming" in the suspension section. The springs themselves could be perfectly fine.
This is where I would start,I don't know if the HR springs require the bump stops to be cut or not,but I would check.Both the bushing timing and the bump stops could cause this.
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #4
ICEMAN 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce@Raymonds Performance View Post
This is where I would start,I don't know if the HR springs require the bump stops to be cut or not,but I would check.Both the bushing timing and the bump stops could cause this.
I cut the bump stop an inch as H&R requested. I have lowered all my cars through the years and never had one that bounces like this one. The front is ok but the rear is really really bad. My 2007 BMW 550i and I lowered it with H&R Race Springs which is a 2" drop all around and it drove like stock springs.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
The problem is that the H&R Super Sports lower the car too much for the stock dampers. Once you go beyond 1.4 inch or so lower than stock things start getting bouncy. It is common and why no other lowering springs for the Camaro go as far.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:10 AM   #6
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
i've installed 8 sets of H&R springs on 5th gen camaro's, both v8 &v6 and no one has had problems
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
ICEMAN 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK10 View Post
i've installed 8 sets of H&R springs on 5th gen camaro's, both v8 &v6 and no one has had problems
Did you install the Super Sport springs or just the Sport Springs? My bounces at high speeds like 45 mph+ at low speed is not to bad
Old 10-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #8
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEMAN 316 View Post
Did you install the Super Sport springs or just the Sport Springs? My bounces at high speeds like 45 mph+ at low speed is not to bad
they were all the sport springs. btw, i ordered them all from ALLSPRINGS.COM and they pretty much all came in 4-5 days later
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:30 PM   #9
ICEMAN 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK10 View Post
they were all the sport springs. btw, i ordered them all from ALLSPRINGS.COM and they pretty much all came in 4-5 days later
Yeah, I heard the sport springs looks and rides perfect. But the super sport springs are way to bouncy at high speeds (45mph+)