Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
TNPred

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro SS/RS
Returning Ground Effects

Long post, but the short version is: What is my shot of reworking a sales contract, or getting a refund for uninstalled ground effects that I do not want? I bought five days ago.

I hate that this is my first post, but I could use some advice quickly. I just bought my new 2011 SS/RS in black on Sunday (5 days ago). I was going to order, but like magic the exact car I wanted arrived at a local dealer recently, except it didn't have the ground effects, Knowing they could be ordered and installed, I went ahead to the dealer and worked out a deal. I told my salesman and the finance guy that I had no problem waiting until they were installed to take delivery, but they kept working it out for me to take the car that day, so I bought it with ground effects (line item on contract), including installation, and agreed to bring back the car once it arrived.

They are now in, and I'm set up for installation on Monday. Last night I finally realized from looking at pics on the internet that they do not match the body (The pic on the "build your own" section of Chevy's site is too small to tell the difference on a black car, and the dealership didn't have any Camaros with GFX when I went). I called the dealer, and he said that his body shop said that GM didn't want them painted (texture issues), and they wouldn't paint them, and if I did get them painted, it would void the warranty on the part.

My dealer will allow me to take the parts, get them painted, and bring them back for the install they owe me. Another dealer quoted me $1,500 just to paint (ridiculous). I'm getting estimates of $400-$600 as a fair price, but I'm wary of shops that I can't verify their quality. I really only bought them because they were true GM parts and designed with the car (but now realize that since I want them painted, I don't actually want the "true" GM part).

At this point, I would like to have not bought the effects, and just deal with it later. I called the dealer, and am waiting to hear if they will do anything (rework the deal, give me a refund less restocking, etc.). Any ideas or comments as to the likelihood of a refund or rework, any way to make this happen for a reasonable price, preserve warranty, etc.? Just trying to decide how to handle the situation.

BTW, I wanted to trade a motorcycle, which the dealer offered to take in trade. Since I didn't have the bike there the day I bought, they said we could work the deal right then, I take the car home, and then I could bring in the bike the next day, and they would rework the deal. I ultimately sold the bike to a private party, so it was unnecessary, but they never rescinded that deal. This is just to say that the dealership themselves brought up the idea of reworking deals, so its not impossible for them.

Thanks
TNPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Kinda seems like you're stuck with them... but don't get them installed and sell them to someone that might want them. That would get you close to the difference.
FL1CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
svtjackal

Drives: 2010 SIM camaro-2001 svt Lightning
Put them for sale here, they will go fast

Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin Camaro Owners check out www.chicago5thgen.com
svtjackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
You are pretty much stuck with them the other bad news is if you paid the $2100-$2300 retail price you will never recover the cost of them. The going rate ranges from $900-$1400.

Where in Florida are you?

Sean
Old 01-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
Cristoff

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS in Red Jewel
As long as the dealership has not sent in the contract to the bank and been funded, they CAN rework the contract.

The WILL they is the bigger question. I have done it MANY times in the past for our clients, but I run a dealership that is first and formost focused on customer service. Chevrolet dealerships honestly are hit and miss on customer service.
Cristoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
TNPred

Looks like good news. My salesman originally said they might give me a credit less a restocking fee, then he called back and said to come in tomorrow to rework the contract and remove the kit. Hopefully no surprises.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
FEN

Drives: BLACK 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNPred View Post
I called the dealer, and he said that his body shop said that GM didn't want them painted (texture issues), and they wouldn't paint them, and if I did get them painted, it would void the warranty on the part.

Thanks
There are no texture issues......these parts can be painted easily.What type warranty is really needed on GFX? Mine were painted at the dealership for $600. Two days later the front splitter came loose and bent under the car...totally trashed it.The dealer did not install the four rivets as per the new instructions.Eventhough they told me the same "no warranty" lingo......they still replaced the splitter and repainted it for free. If you like the GFX just get them painted and dont worry about it. If you are close and want to see them firsthand....LMK via IM.

[IMG]http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx5/fenemij/DS****30.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx5/fenemij/DS****15.jpg[/IMG]
Eibach 1" Pro Spring Kit
Factory GFX
MPD1 spoiler
painted bowties
15% tint
FEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:02 PM   #8
TNPred

I completely agree, but that's what my salesman said. When he called back to tell me to come back in, he even said that people have had it done with no problems, so he thinks maybe their shop just doesn't want to do it. As it is, I'm not saving any money by getting them right now, so I'm just going to go without for a while and see what develops. I would have a lot of peace of mind if one day GM sold painted GFX directly. I had a Cobalt SS/SC in the first year with the ridiculous spoiler that GM eventually wised up and ditched, so I have faith that a prepainted kit or even a newer design (I like the current GFX, but there are still some things I would change) will come out. If nothing else, I was paying MSRP, so I'm getting out ahead to return them and buy cheaper anyways.

Your car looks great though, how did you go about the black bowtie, and what about your trunklid bowtie, is it black as well?
Old 01-14-2011, 10:12 PM   #9
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
If you can get out of the ridiculous dealer price- do. I bought mine for $1450 (including shipping) in original packaging with the NEW mounting hardware (front rivets) and have a trusted body shop doing a 2-tone paint and install for $600. Total price of $2050- less than dealer installed kit without paint! And they're only gonna get cheaper the longer you can wait!

Currently there are 2 methods of bowties- pop out the gold emblem and install a solid black emblem (which I believe are thicker than the stock) for roughly $50, or buy an overlay decal for $10 in any color. I went with the decal for mine as I've installed them before including full stripe kits- easy to do, cost efficient and if they do wear in 4-5 yrs, cheap to pull and replace. But not the same gloss quality as the full replacement inlay.
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:47 PM   #10
FEN

Drives: BLACK 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNPred View Post
Your car looks great though, how did you go about the black bowtie, and what about your trunklid bowtie, is it black as well?
When the dealership was repainting the front splitter i asked them to paint both the front and rear bowties and clearcoat them.....it was free to make up for my trouble since the GFX were not installed properly
Eibach 1" Pro Spring Kit
Factory GFX
MPD1 spoiler
painted bowties
15% tint
FEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #11
TNPred

Went to the dealer today, paperwork was ready for me. Everything was exactly the same, with the GFX deleted and the sales tax adjusted, no restocking fee or anything else. Very easy. Now to take my time and find a great deal on the GFX and research a good paint shop. Thanks everyone for your help.