Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
Aaron1121

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
High Flow Cats with Shorty Headers?

I am installing a catback system. I would love to also install some long tube headers, but since I live in the golden state I won't pass a smog inspection with them. I don't really feel like swapping out the headers before every smog inspection.

From everything I've seen on the forums, it looks like most people are seeing 25-30 HP gains with longtubes and high flow cats, and people with shorties and stock cats are getting 4-9HP. It seems like the most restrictive part is the stock cats.

Has anyone tried just replacing the stock cats, or shorty headers with high flow cats? What type of gains have you seen?

If shorties and high flow cats worked well, it would be pretty easy to just swap the cats with a couple bolts prior to the inspection.

Thoughts?
Aaron1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:46 AM   #2
BIGK909

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT/RS VR
nobody?

-MRT V1.0, H&R Springs, Injen CAI
BIGK909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:55 AM   #3
The Yeti
On the wrong side of town

Drives: Pontiac G8 GT
Different cars but a buddy of mine with a G8 has shorty headers with stock cats and a corsa catback and made 20 less rwhp than myself with solo high flow cats, stock manifolds and solo catback. We have got our tunes from the same dyno also. Personally I think you may gain a little power in the mid range but not enough to warrant the cost of shorties unless you want more sound to go with your high flow cats. Well if you plan on going the maggie route you may have to get shorties anyway to get as much flow as possible.

The Yeti - just an 11sec NA grocery getter!!!

08 G8 GT Premium/Sports Package W/Sunroof
Pat G Tuned, Heads/Cam/gears/Stalled, Dropped, Brembos on all 4 corners and every bolt on under the sun.

April 2011 G8 of the Month
June 2012 G8 of the Month
April 2013 G8 of the Month
@G8BOARD.COM
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:54 AM   #4
nfamous209

Drives: 2002 Camaro z28
Send a message via AIM to nfamous209 Send a message via Yahoo to nfamous209
first u dont have to smog ur car for atleast 5 years since its new. 2nd tons of smog shops out there look to see if u have cats, thats it. not if theyre relocated not if u have LT's. if you have cats then ur good. u just need to find one. and u can install LT's and Catted mid pipes.
nfamous209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:53 AM   #5
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
check my thread out aaron, you may find it helpful. I have DT shorty headers and SOLO hiflow cats.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91945
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Regardless of what "some shops" may do/say, the letter of the law states that if you move or replace FUNCTIONAL cats, you are in violation of the inspection. Take it for what's worth and make your own decision from there.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
bi11ymc
"Silver Street"

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Regardless of what "some shops" may do/say, the letter of the law states that if you move or replace FUNCTIONAL cats, you are in violation of the inspection. Take it for what's worth and make your own decision from there.
I am hoping the Magnaflow replacement cats I am getting will fool the visual inspection, since they look identical and flow a bit better, or so they say. I won't know until I get them installed (parts are ordered, install not scheduled, yet) and go through inspection (September).

CAI Inc., ARH LT Headers with Cats, Borla Touring Cat-Back; Pfadt Coil Overs, Sway Bars, End Links, and Trailing Arms; Comp Cams Blower Cam, Dual Springs, Push-Rods, and Lifters; GM LS2 Lifter Trays, 6.2 MLS Head Gaskets, Crank Bolt, and LS2 Front Cover; 3-Bolt Conversion Timing Gear, Katech C5R Timing Chain, ARP LS2/LS3 Head Bolt Kit, Melling Hi Volume Oil Pump, TVS 2300 Supercharger (Black); Build by Vengeance Racing; Custom Tune by Vengeance Racing
bi11ymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:54 AM   #8
Wilburbeest
Think With Your Dipstick!

Drives: 1997 Camaro Z28
Gen III/IV engines essentially have shorty headers from the factory. In other words it's a gigantic waste to buy an aftermarket set. I am just starting to really learn about the 5th gen so I don't know what all is available at this point, but if there is a 50 state legal (C.A.R.B. approved) mid length header available that may be something you want to check into. Those will not move the cats back like LTs do and would be 100% legal. Also, as true as it is that swapping working cats is illegal, good luck to any inspector that tries to prove they didn't replace dysfunctional cats or ones that were removed by another owner. If you have cats and EGR you can often pass a visual with LTs too but with that one you're really at the mercy of the inspector. If they look for the C.A.R.B. sticker on the headers you will have a problem. Granted nothing stops you from going to as many shops as you need to in order to pass. If you don't mind some possible hassle I'd get LTs with emissions hookups and some high flow cats.

1997 Camaro Z28 (LT1/T56): K&N CAI | Kooks 1 3/4" LTs | 3" Custom Duals | UMI LCAs w/ relocation brackets | UMI adj. panhard bar | UMI adj. torque arm | Koni SA shocks | Strano Springs | Ram Powergrip clutch | Pro 5.0 shifter | skip shift eliminator kit | WS6 Store rotors | Hawk HPS pads
Wilburbeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #9
bi11ymc
"Silver Street"

Not a gigantic waste since. The DT Shorties are lighter weight, look better and because of the ceramic coating, will allow less heat into the engine compartment. That is why I am going with them.

CAI Inc., ARH LT Headers with Cats, Borla Touring Cat-Back; Pfadt Coil Overs, Sway Bars, End Links, and Trailing Arms; Comp Cams Blower Cam, Dual Springs, Push-Rods, and Lifters; GM LS2 Lifter Trays, 6.2 MLS Head Gaskets, Crank Bolt, and LS2 Front Cover; 3-Bolt Conversion Timing Gear, Katech C5R Timing Chain, ARP LS2/LS3 Head Bolt Kit, Melling Hi Volume Oil Pump, TVS 2300 Supercharger (Black); Build by Vengeance Racing; Custom Tune by Vengeance Racing

Last edited by bi11ymc; 07-03-2010 at 08:44 AM. Reason: waste (not waist) lol
Old 07-03-2010, 09:23 AM   #10
Wilburbeest
Think With Your Dipstick!

Drives: 1997 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bi11ymc View Post
Not a gigantic waste since. The DT Shorties are lighter weight, look better and because of the ceramic coating, will allow less heat into the engine compartment. That is why I am going with them.
1. Lighter weight by how much? Is this weight savings anything that will ever be discernible to you? I think not unless you are building a drag car and are doing several other things along with it that add up to a large overall weight savings.

2. If a $500 (plus hassle or cost of install) under-hood decoration is your thing that's your business. This is America.

3. Lower temps in the engine bay are a plus, but assuming the current heat is not causing any problems I don't see how this is a major factor? If it was you would see it reflected on dynos. On a stockish car the only purpose I could see it serving is maybe (big maybe) helping hoses last longer. Those should really be changed long before they have a chance to be a problem though.

I will concede that they are at least a little better than stock manifolds and may manifest a more notable gain over stock manifolds on a decently modded engine or a high RPM application than they do stock. I do see that you have a cam coming soon so maybe that will make them a bit more useful. Just speculation there. But what is not speculation is the for the cost/hassle involved I personally find shortys on LSx engines extremely underwhelming. Its not my goal to attack you dude and sorry if my opinion offends you but it is my opinion. I like mods that actually make my car do something notably different than it already does. If you're into paying $100/hp that's your business.

1997 Camaro Z28 (LT1/T56): K&N CAI | Kooks 1 3/4" LTs | 3" Custom Duals | UMI LCAs w/ relocation brackets | UMI adj. panhard bar | UMI adj. torque arm | Koni SA shocks | Strano Springs | Ram Powergrip clutch | Pro 5.0 shifter | skip shift eliminator kit | WS6 Store rotors | Hawk HPS pads
Wilburbeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #11
bi11ymc
"Silver Street"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilburbeest View Post
1. Lighter weight by how much? Is this weight savings anything that will ever be discernible to you? I think not unless you are building a drag car and are doing several other things along with it that add up to a large overall weight savings.

2. If a $500 (plus hassle or cost of install) under-hood decoration is your thing that's your business. This is America.

3. Lower temps in the engine bay are a plus, but assuming the current heat is not causing any problems I don't see how this is a major factor? If it was you would see it reflected on dynos. On a stockish car the only purpose I could see it serving is maybe (big maybe) helping hoses last longer. Those should really be changed long before they have a chance to be a problem though.

I will concede that they are at least a little better than stock manifolds and may manifest a more notable gain over stock manifolds on a decently modded engine or a high RPM application than they do stock. I do see that you have a cam coming soon so maybe that will make them a bit more useful. Just speculation there. But what is not speculation is the for the cost/hassle involved I personally find shortys on LSx engines extremely underwhelming. Its not my goal to attack you dude and sorry if my opinion offends you but it is my opinion. I like mods that actually make my car do something notably different than it already does. If you're into paying $100/hp that's your business.
Why do people change anything about the car? People spend much more just to change the sound with a cat-back and it does nothing to performance. I say, it is only money and if shorty headers allow me to stay in the county I live in, improve many aspects of the car no matter how small, and cost so little, I say "why not"?

Old 07-05-2010, 06:51 AM   #12
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bi11ymc View Post

yes
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #13
third1
speed freak

Drives: 2015i Cadillac Escalade,10 IOM 2ss
My shorties gave the the car a little bit more growl out of the Solo exhaust and look great for only $200 new.
Current:2015i Cadilac Escalade,2016 Lexus RC350,2011 CVO StreetGlide cammed,tuned & loud. 2010 IMO/IO,custom stripes,GFX,sunrf,solo exhaust,JBA shorties,rotofab,Jannetty tune,Pfadt,JLw6 Audison&Hertz,7/4/09 2GIFKIEJ6A9123779Del 7/10/09
Former Camaros 72 LT1 Z28, 86 z28
[SIGPIC]
third1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:33 PM   #14
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Definitely replace the Cats with some high flow/spun units to realize better HP gains.

Agreed, the factory manifolds are not bad at all.

The Shorties Def give a better look, just don't look for LT Header performance out of them.

Best of luck to you sir!
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote