Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
EM1/SS

Drives: 11 2SS/RS M6 vert
Another question on diff bushing replacement

I purchased the cinci tool to remove the diff bushings. The first one came out very easy, but the second one looks like it is ****ed a little and will not move anymore. I looked at the back side of the bushing and one side is flush and the other is in the housing about 1/8 ". I called cinci speed and they said try a little heat. I did that but it's not moving. I was going to try and put a thin washer under the tool to try to get it straight. Any one have this problem and a solution?
Old 03-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Have any pics to show us? Might help make some more suggestions.

I will say that one of mine was a SUPER PITA!!! We actually bent the bolt used to pull it through. It definatley took heat to do mine. It was a two person thing. Mike was using in the tool (similar to cinci's) and had to keep applying the heat with a mini handheld torch. I kept the heat moving up and down on the outside of the housing right where the bushing was. It eventually came out but gave us alot of grief. Mike said he never had that issue with any before and he had done plenty before.

Wish I would've taken a picture of the bent bolt we were so worn out by the time we got it done I forgot to.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
B-Rex

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I used a hammer and a chisel to cut/smash/bend the metal liner on the outside of the bushing and get it to fold up and fall out after sawzalling the middle rubber part out. Probably could have used heat or a fancy tool, but (during the ring and pinion replacement process) by the time I was doing the bushings i needed to take some frustration out on something lol.

More of a thought than anything, just be careful not to mar the diff housing itself up.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #4
BOSS_HOSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I had this same problem...heat heat heat...9/10 when you eventually get it out you'll see rust on the steel sleeve...
2010 2SS/RS 1 7/8" Long Tube American Racing Headers w/high flow cats, Borla S-Type Catback Exhaust, Roto-Fab CAI, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, MGW Shifter, JRE 445 Street Cam Package tuned via SCT, Pedders Street 1 Kit.
BOSS_HOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
EM1/SS

Well I got it about 1/4" out and then the all thread on the cinci tool broke at the point where the nut is welded on. I got a drill in there to start to core it out. I'll try to get my sawzall in there tomorrow.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:45 AM   #6
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rex View Post
I used a hammer and a chisel to cut/smash/bend the metal liner on the outside of the bushing and get it to fold up and fall out after sawzalling the middle rubber part out. Probably could have used heat or a fancy tool, but (during the ring and pinion replacement process) by the time I was doing the bushings i needed to take some frustration out on something lol.

More of a thought than anything, just be careful not to mar the diff housing itself up.
Folding in the 'tail' of the steel jacketed OE bushes will allow a tool like the one from Cincy Speed to work. Lots of lube on the threads and the surfaces under load help too.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
EM1/SS

I got the bushing out this morning. It looked like it was just starting to straighten out when the all thread snapped.