Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
nine4m6

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS RS
So.... Wife drives my car for the first time

Went out for dinner the other night. Afterwards, I handed the keys to my Bride and said "drive me home". To start with , She stalled it in the parking space because she was not used to such a touchy clutch. Exiting the parking lot was a bit rough through 3rd gear but she was quickly getting used to the car. The route home included going through a business park. We round a corner which is followed by a straight-away (still within the business park). Off the corner is a nice smooth acceleration in first..... what feels like at least 3/4 throttle in 2nd... and and hard shift to 3rd that snapped my neck right before lifting. I did a quick peek at the speedometer because I couldn't resist. It was at at .... almost 70! In a business park! She was smiling as she said "Whoa! This could be addicting!

Then she looked over and saw me sitting there in total euphoria.

As the smile halfway left her face she looks me in the eye and says "you better not get any tickets in this car!"

Before thinking about my response I said "Don't worry Honey. When picking my spots to turn it loose, it's never somewhere like..... business parks."
nine4m6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
I had to let my wife drive my SS. She's the one that pushed me to go and get it. It was only fair. She already knows how to drive stick, so that wasn't an issue. Heck, I let my kids try it out the first day with me in the passenger seat. Three of them can drive stick and the fourth was his first time. That one didn't go as well.

That experience alone made them all fall in love with the car. Setting the stage for future Camaro owners.
bannonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
Nightfall
"To Punish And Enslave"

Drives: B E RS GBA #72541 3564 CC 220 CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
I had to let my wife drive my SS. She's the one that pushed me to go and get it. It was only fair. She already knows how to drive stick, so that wasn't an issue. Heck, I let my kids try it out the first day with me in the passenger seat. Three of them can drive stick and the fourth was his first time. That one didn't go as well.

That experience alone made them all fall in love with the car. Setting the stage for future Camaro owners.
breed them young only way to make sure this amercain icon stays alive good job . I never ever want the camaro to go away

C.A.M.A.R.O- Constantly Adding Modifications Addiction Relentless Obsession
90% canadian 10% mexican 100% american muscle :flag2:
Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
Nucleartiger

Drives: 2017 HBM Camaro ZL1 M6
I just bought my 2011 2SS/RS on Friday. My wife who had taken me to the dealership and told me to get it and the she would pay for it out of her paychecks (best wife ever?) Asked if she could drive it. I gave her the keys and she said that she was just going to drive around the neighborhood. About 30 minutes later she came back with a huge grin on her face.
Nucleartiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #5
Nightfall
"To Punish And Enslave"

Drives: B E RS GBA #72541 3564 CC 220 CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleartiger View Post
I just bought my 2011 2SS/RS on Friday. My wife who had taken me to the dealership and told me to get it and the she would pay for it out of her paychecks (best wife ever?) Asked if she could drive it. I gave her the keys and she said that she was just going to drive around the neighborhood. About 30 minutes later she came back with a huge grin on her face.
I vote yes yes best wife ever

C.A.M.A.R.O- Constantly Adding Modifications Addiction Relentless Obsession
90% canadian 10% mexican 100% american muscle :flag2:
Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:17 AM   #6
Patrol.in.a.Camaro
Lockin it Down!

Drives: 2012 V6 2LT/RS IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
I vote yes yes best wife ever
+1
2012 2LT/RS coupe. Inferno Orange Metallic w/ Black Strip. 6 Speed Manual. IOM Leather Interior. Sunroof. 15% Window tint ~ Black Billet Door Sills ~ Orange Billet Racing Pedals ~ IOM Molded Splash Guards ~

~That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness~
Patrol.in.a.Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #7
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
My wife enjoys driving mine once in a while, she is amazed at the get up and go.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:44 AM   #8
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleartiger View Post
Survey says...DING... 89% of people surveyed said Nucleartiger has the best wife ever!

Thats great! I get stuck paying for my car AND her car but she pays for the house so I guess it all works out! Well, I can sleep in the car but she CAN'T drive a house!

On topic... my wife has driven mine a few times. She's scared of it. Before the Hurst, she did a couple hard accelleration shifts to 3rd... missed third and jambed it back to first at close to WOT... She didnt like that... nor did I!

Now she is a little more cautious!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:16 AM   #9
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine4m6 View Post
Went out for dinner the other night. Afterwards, I handed the keys to my Bride and said "drive me home". To start with , She stalled it in the parking space because she was not used to such a touchy clutch. Exiting the parking lot was a bit rough through 3rd gear but she was quickly getting used to the car. The route home included going through a business park. We round a corner which is followed by a straight-away (still within the business park). Off the corner is a nice smooth acceleration in first..... what feels like at least 3/4 throttle in 2nd... and and hard shift to 3rd that snapped my neck right before lifting. I did a quick peek at the speedometer because I couldn't resist. It was at at .... almost 70! In a business park! She was smiling as she said "Whoa! This could be addicting!

As the smile halfway left her face she looks me in the eye and says "you better not get any tickets in this car!"

Before thinking about my response I said "Don't worry Honey. When picking my spots to turn it loose, it's never somewhere like..... business parks."
Have you checked the floorboards on the pass side after your drive home ?
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
Jagerday

Drives: 2010 RJT SS/RS LS3
My wife pays for "our" camaro also. It was her new job and significant pay increase that allowed us to afford the car. Not only that, she traded in her VW beetle convertible for it. She loved that car. She now drives what I was previously driving (2002 explorer) and I am driving a SS that she is paying for. Long story short, "her" car payment almost doubled, she went from a VW beetle vert to a explorer and I went from a explorer to a SS/RS. We have some awesome wives!!!

+ = +
Jagerday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine4m6 View Post

Great story, thanks for sharing!

My wife is still too afraid to get behind the wheel. I think it is 25% afraid of the speed and 75% doesn't wanna hurt the Camaro. It's a big car with a big engine, and is very intimidating when you first sit behind the wheel. The irony is... once you get used to it, it's more comfortable than most cars on the road.

One of these days... I'll try what you did, but maybe somewhere more open than a business park.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #12
shad2009
"Cassie"

Drives: 2007 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to shad2009 Send a message via Yahoo to shad2009
my now fiance wants to get a camaro when the re-design comes out (when the re-design for the mustang comes out as well) i'm real excited to have two iconic pony cars in the driveway, both of which will be manual just have to teach her how to drive stick before-hand lol...but i think she can learn how to within 3 years lol

Future Wheels - 2014 Ford Mustang GT & 2014 Chevy Camaro
shad2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #13
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
My wife drove my 2SS M6 for the first time Friday night...been a while since she drove a stick...but you wouldn't know it! No trouble and she CLEARLY enjoyed the acceleration and rowing the gears. She really dug the HUD too.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #14
pincoin
Camaro owner since 1982

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS-RS Conv IBM L99
Nice stories here!!
pincoin is offline   Reply With Quote