Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
usnatclee

Drives: '12 2SS/RS, '13 Vette, '13 Wrangler
CAI Inc CAI oil

I just got my CAI inc CAI in and am going to install it tomorrow after work. Do I have to use CAI inc filter oil or can I use any oil meant to be used on filters? (i.e. K&N etc)
2012 Camaro Ashen Grey Metallic 2SS/RS "Timberwolf". Custom exhaust, RX oil catch can and oil breather, CAI inc intake, SLP 160* thermostat, TSP 2" LT headers w/ off road pipes, custom cam, tuned. 467rwhp 450rwtq.

2013 Corvette Torch Red LS3. 378rwhp/375rwtq SAE corrected, tuned.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!
usnatclee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Hey - don't know the answer to your question but am anxious to see how the installation goes. I'm on the verge of going CAI and plan to do it myself.

I know a lot of these folks have CAI and no doubt many of them did their own install, but diving under the hood of a brand new car is something new to me - I always worked on my old (simple) cars of yesteryear. These new ones are a whole other animal.

Good luck. Keep us informed.
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by usnatclee View Post
I just got my CAI inc CAI in and am going to install it tomorrow after work. Do I have to use CAI inc filter oil or can I use any oil meant to be used on filters? (i.e. K&N etc)
CAI strongly recommends using their oil. It comes pre-oiled so you do not need to do anything to it for about 20k miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Hey - don't know the answer to your question but am anxious to see how the installation goes. I'm on the verge of going CAI and plan to do it myself.

I know a lot of these folks have CAI and no doubt many of them did their own install, but diving under the hood of a brand new car is something new to me - I always worked on my old (simple) cars of yesteryear. These new ones are a whole other animal.

Good luck. Keep us informed.
If you can open the box it comes in you can install the CAI Inc system. It is very easy.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
usnatclee

Oh I was unaware that it came pre-oiled. I thought that the instructions said that it needed to be oiled before it was installed. Thanks for clearing that up. I have installed these before so it shouldnt take me long.
2012 Camaro Ashen Grey Metallic 2SS/RS "Timberwolf". Custom exhaust, RX oil catch can and oil breather, CAI inc intake, SLP 160* thermostat, TSP 2" LT headers w/ off road pipes, custom cam, tuned. 467rwhp 450rwtq.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:18 AM   #5
Ozzie RS

Drives: '11 Camaro RS 2LT
Quote:
Just for reference I would email the manufacturer in the future for questions like this. People on here will give you their opinion and it may not be right. Not that they do it on purpose but may not know and still voice an opinion and it could void your warranty if they are wrong. You can't go wrong by asking the manufacturer. Just my $.02.

Apex Chase is correct by the way.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:48 AM   #6
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
APEX Chase is always correct.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:23 AM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
Can you tell that to my wife.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
usnatclee

Well I just finished putting on my CAI in CAI. It took me about 20 minutes if you include getting together the tools I need. Install was a breeze. Just FYI the instructions that come with it show pictures from an LLT (or at least appear to). You may need 2 people when you go to put the lid on the air box because the fitment is really tight. I will post pics later so you can see how to do it when you get it. I can definately tell the difference. The dead spot that was there when you punched the gas is GONE. When you punch it the car goes. The sound is alot better too. Now to get an exhaust.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Well I just finished putting on my CAI in CAI. It took me about 20 minutes if you include getting together the tools I need. Install was a breeze. Just FYI the instructions that come with it show pictures from an LLT (or at least appear to). You may need 2 people when you go to put the lid on the air box because the fitment is really tight. I will post pics later so you can see how to do it when you get it. I can definately tell the difference. The dead spot that was there when you punched the gas is GONE. When you punch it the car goes. The sound is alot better too. Now to get an exhaust.
Pics would be nice - congrats on a job well done.

Apex Chase - thanks for the info.
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie RS View Post
Just for reference I would email the manufacturer in the future for questions like this. People on here will give you their opinion and it may not be right. Not that they do it on purpose but may not know and still voice an opinion and it could void your warranty if they are wrong. You can't go wrong by asking the manufacturer. Just my $.02.

Apex Chase is correct by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Can you tell that to my wife.
I hear ya there buddy!!

Quote:
Thank you for choosing Cold Air Inductions Inc., realy glad to hear that the installation went well and that you are happy with the product!!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
Henry G.

Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
CAI's website claims 16 rear wheel HP with this set up, sounds pretty awesome. Anyone able to verify that? That about 4 hp per $100 damn good!
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:07 AM   #12
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Drives: 2010 SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry G. View Post
CAI's website claims 16 rear wheel HP with this set up, sounds pretty awesome. Anyone able to verify that? That about 4 hp per $100 damn good!
Don't believe it. That is probably not peak HP or it may be swayed from dynoed different days when the air cooler etc.

Don't get me wrong it is a great mod still. When your engine breaths better it will allow other mods to perform better catback, headers, S.C. etc
Synerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:09 AM   #13
The Beard

Drives: 2013 2SS HWSE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
Old 06-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #14
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry G. View Post
GMHT, Jannetty Racing, and many other speedshops verify it every day. Do a thread search for Jannettys CAI tests.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote