Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
After 3 years with my V6, up to a SS: Upgrade Review

I had my V6 for 3 years and 50,000 miles (49,345) and yesterday I traded up to a 2SS/RS. I figured I'd post my honest review as it might be helpful to someone.

As far as the exterior goes, the cars looked comically identical when I arrived at the dealer. My signature is actually my V6 so you can see what I'm talking about. I was unwilling to give up my beautiful Euro meshs so I offered the dealer a deal, they could swap the SS's stock rims to my 6, and put my rims on the SS.

The real visual differences happened getting into the car. My 6 was a 1LT with just the RS package and a spare tire. So going to what appears to be a nearly fully loaded 2SS is a giant leap. My 1LT interior now seems quite incomplete in comparison. Leather seats, heated seats, leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter, bluetooth with steering wheel controls, door lighting, Boston sound, what a massive difference. I never needed any of these things, and was happy without them, but this is one of those once you try it you can't go back scenarios.

The SS handles the same, as it should. It does seem tighter than the stock V6 suspension but it is not a night and day difference. I had BMR springs on the V6 that will go on my SS when I get the chance, I imagine it will still handle the same.

The V6 brakes much shorter than the 8, I could tell that immediately. However the pedal feel is softer and mushy making it difficult to achieve precision without a lot of seat time. The SS brakes are more precise and the pedal feels stiff and thus more sporty.

Interestingly there is also a big difference in gas pedal feel, not necessarily power related. The SS requires you press the pedal slightly more to achieve more than about 5-10% throttle. The 6 doesn't have this sort of "deadzone." I'm assuming it must be a sort of safety feature on the SS because once you press that pedal far enough, the kraken is released.

This thing PULLS. The V6 LLT legitimately pulls you and your passenger into your seats. The V8 LS3 however smashes you in. The difference will put a huge smile on an enthusiast's face, no doubt. It really scares you at higher MPH because you really start to feel it pulling your body into the seat and you realize how insanely fast it can go. The 6 creeps up to higher MPH and gives you a chance to think about what you are doing, the SS DOES NOT.

So all in all, if you can afford it and you are a person who likes to go fast, the SS is your car.

I must say though, if you don't drive like you're in the fast and the furious and speed isn't too big a deal for you, the V6 is probably actually the better car overall. A loaded up 2LT RS should be just fine for the average driver. The SS is really for the person who tinkers with their car every weekend, who doesn't know how many times they've been to the track, or how many tickets they have gotten...
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
Terryble

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
I had my V6 for 3 years and 50,000 miles (49,345) and yesterday I traded up to a 2SS/RS. I figured I'd post my honest review as it might be helpful to someone.

As far as the exterior goes, the cars looked comically identical when I arrived at the dealer. My signature is actually my V6 so you can see what I'm talking about. I was unwilling to give up my beautiful Euro meshs so I offered the dealer a deal, they could swap the SS's stock rims to my 6, and put my rims on the SS.

The real visual differences happened getting into the car. My 6 was a 1LT with just the RS package and a spare tire. So going to what appears to be a nearly fully loaded 2SS is a giant leap. My 1LT interior now seems quite incomplete in comparison. Leather seats, heated seats, leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter, bluetooth with steering wheel controls, door lighting, Boston sound, what a massive difference. I never needed any of these things, and was happy without them, but this is one of those once you try it you can't go back scenarios.

The SS handles the same, as it should. It does seem tighter than the stock V6 suspension but it is not a night and day difference. I had BMR springs on the V6 that will go on my SS when I get the chance, I imagine it will still handle the same.

The V6 brakes much shorter than the 8, I could tell that immediately. However the pedal feel is softer and mushy making it difficult to achieve precision without a lot of seat time. The SS brakes are more precise and the pedal feels stiff and thus more sporty.

Interestingly there is also a big difference in gas pedal feel, not necessarily power related. The SS requires you press the pedal slightly more to achieve more than about 5-10% throttle. The 6 doesn't have this sort of "deadzone." I'm assuming it must be a sort of safety feature on the SS because once you press that pedal far enough, the kraken is released.

This thing PULLS. The V6 LLT legitimately pulls you and your passenger into your seats. The V8 LS3 however smashes you in. The difference will put a huge smile on an enthusiast's face, no doubt. It really scares you at higher MPH because you really start to feel it pulling your body into the seat and you realize how insanely fast it can go. The 6 creeps up to higher MPH and gives you a chance to think about what you are doing, the SS DOES NOT.

So all in all, if you can afford it and you are a person who likes to go fast, the SS is your car.

I must say though, if you don't drive like you're in the fast and the furious and speed isn't too big a deal for you, the V6 is probably actually the better car overall. A loaded up 2LT RS should be just fine for the average driver. The SS is really for the person who tinkers with their car every weekend, who doesn't know how many times they've been to the track, or how many tickets they have gotten...

I am the latter... I have beeb dropped by an insurance agency (not uninsurable yet) and can no longer drive company vehicles...
Terryble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
jravenfan

Drives: 2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic
Thanks for the review, I went straight for the SS after test driving both and couldn't be happier. Nice rims btw.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
The throttle response on the SS model sucks socks

Any low-end torque needed for this very heavy car is essentially emasculated...and a pushrod V8 is an engine I expect low end torque from.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
DarkneZZ

Drives: '13 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post

Exactly my thought. Got fully loaded 2LT/RS, couldn't be happier. However test-drove both.
DarkneZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
suzook

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
The throttle response on the SS model sucks socks

Any low-end torque needed for this very heavy car is essentially emasculated...and a pushrod V8 is an engine I expect low end torque from.
Yea...the v8 really sucks, its a real dog...wtf?
Old 06-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Drives: 2021 ZLE A10
Send a message via AIM to Blu Ray Send a message via Yahoo to Blu Ray
Great Review....throttle response, brakes, spot on

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
2015 1SS 1LE M6 Black-Sold
2021 ZLE A10 Riverside Blue - Awaiting Arrival 01/10
Blu Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #8

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
No worries...that little "bog" at first on the SS can be remedied with a ported throttle body and/or fuse pull...

Good post OP...all great cars...3 years of your first one, then something else is all part of the hobby...good job, enjoy...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Yea, good review, now go test drive a ZL1. OMG what a difference. I have a 2LT/RS I'm very happy with thew car, but again if I ever upgrade ZL1 will be in my Garage.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Fuse pull definitely helped my throttle response. CAI will also help.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
Lumix

Drives: 2015 1LT
My experience was pretty much the same.
I tested a 1SS the same day I bought the LT. Since I was only going to buy an auto, I tested the L99.
I wasn't terribly impressed with the power difference, but the torque did give it better responsiveness. The exhaust note was cool but WAY too muted.
The FE3 suspension felt a bit firmer but also a lot less comfortable...and since every YouTube review shows the V6 to pull a higher lateral G without the FE3 suspension, I just didn't see the purpose of putting up with a harsh ride. All the reviews show the exact same braking distance for both V6 and V8 so the Brembos are definitely doing their job, but have more weight to stop with a heavier car. No real advantage there either.
In the end, I just couldn't justify paying $38K when they were already dealing on the LT at $21.5K...
And...forgive me for saying so, but there's no freakin' way in hell I could learn to live with that goofy mailslot. It makes the car look both taller and narrower...both fundamental mistakes on a sports car. I'm quite pleased to see it removed on the 2014 model.
Now before you SS gearheads get your panties in a wade, let me make something perfectly clear. I respect the SS for what it is. I suspect the V8 will have good longevity...and we're all in love with the exhaust note. It's not that the V8 is bad...just that the V6 is so very very good.
There's simply no way I'm going to feed a V8 premium gas and get 14MPG for my trouble. Not gonna happen...
All I'm saying is that the SS wasn't the right car FOR ME.
I'll be keeping the LT.
Attached Images

Lumix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #12
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
Nice write up, agree. But it was a dream to get a ss, dating back to when i was 16. at the time couldn't afford it , wife needed a new truck, two kids etc, so got the ls. Modded the hell out of it and still could not get anywhere near then power of a v8 un modded. Deal came up that was too sweet to pass up on. The v6 is a great car, combo of decent power, great looks and handling at a great price, can't go wrong. Just wished the ecu on the v6 was easier to program and mods yield higher #s. If that would have been the case the v6 would still be in the driveway, enjoy the car, I know I am
mydreamcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #13
Fiveg56

Drives: -
I've driven both, and that seems like a fair review.
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #14
suzook

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumix View Post
There's simply no way I'm going to feed a V8 premium gas and get 14MPG for my trouble. Not gonna happen...
All I'm saying is that the SS wasn't the right car FOR ME.
I'll be keeping the LT.
Nothing wrong with the v6...its a great motor...but.....i feed my v8 regular, and average 22 mpg. Im getting 26 on hwy, and 18 city