Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-17-2017, 09:05 AM   #1
squids4daddy

Drives: ZL1 2014
FirSt impressions of first ZL1

Excited about my ZL1 and want to share impressions from my first day of commuting.

It's been 20 years since I've driven a stick and I'll have to relearn because WOW the torque is relentless in all gears at all road speeds. Task now is to learn to shift for range because shifting for acceleration is trivial at highway sppeds. Awesome. The HUD is the best "new to me" safety feature I have seen in a while. Surprisingly for me, the experience as a whole has slowed me down substantially.

I came to this from a Honda pilot which I regularly drove at "spend the night" speeds. Oddly it's really difficult to judge speed from 60 to 100 in the pilot and the vehicle just feels unsteady and edgy but not 'fast'.

The ZL1 feels super solid at all speeds, but 60mph feels fast and 70 feels "faster". Thus I find myself tending to drive much slower, which is exactly opposite of my expectations.

I did not anticipate how much fuel it would consume. Pilot requires refueling every 8 days if I drive it to fumes. ZL1 wI'll be refueled every four days!

At every stoplight there is someone revving at me and wanting to race. Last night guy in a yellow camaro pulled up next to me and revved. I don't think he knew what I was because I responded and he visibly jumped then got a big grin.

The brakes are AWESOME. Every car I've ever had (except a 2 door Saturn) requires very very good planning to start applying brakes above about 50mph. These brakes work beautifully which really helps navigate traffic opportunities. In total the combination of massive high speed torque and spot on breaking allows me to get there about 20% faster but at lower top speeds.

Last, my last American car was a '76 Grand Prix (may its name be praised)! The Tank (praise be upon it) had a certain feel. Now, the ZL1 has a much different/better feel but they both share some ineffable quality that is the classic "muscle car" feel. Fantastic!

That's it: 2 hours worth of impressions.
squids4daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #2
GONMAD510

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Congrats on the new car. Eventually you are going to want more power once you get used to it. Then let the modding begin. A couple easy mods (CAI and pulley) in the beginning will net you a decent amount of power increase. Have fun with the new ride.
BTW, my car is a daily driver and I love it. Who cares about gas mileage.
Fast 850cc Injectors, ATI Balancer, 8.66 Lower Pulley, 2.55 Upper Pulley, Lingenfelter CAI, Kooks LT with cat delete pipes, Noweeds Exhaust Cutouts (extremely loud under full throttle), BTR Stage 3 Cam, BTR Platinum 660 Valve Spring Kit, TR7ix Iridium Spark Plugs, Lingenfelter Solid Isolator, 160 Degree Thermostat, Larger SC Coolant Reservoir with Hose Relocation Kit, BMR 1.25" Lowering Springs, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Racing Brake 2 piece rotors front and rear, Starkweather Performance Custom Dyno Tune on 91 Octane.

691.38 RWHP
630.35 RWTQ
GONMAD510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #3
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
My ZL1 does 90 MPH in 6th gear cruising on the highway and feels like you're going 35 MPH in a normal car. Extremely planted, smooth, and if it weren't for the road noise from the tires it could be confused for a Cadillac...Don't know why you're uncomfortable going higher speeds.

If you jump on it and take it up to 130+ you'll find the feeling of 70-90 MPH doesn't change. It's extremely planted, no wobble, no BS.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:00 PM   #4
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I remember when I had a chance to do 'parade laps' at MIS (Michigan International Speedway).

Top down, three passengers, 115mph and it felt so smooth and planted with NO sense of speed, it felt like we were just going out to the local store for Ice cream.

Not like the old days.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:27 PM   #5
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
My ZL1 does 90 MPH in 6th gear cruising on the highway and feels like you're going 35 MPH in a normal car. Extremely planted, smooth, and if it weren't for the road noise from the tires it could be confused for a Cadillac...Don't know why you're uncomfortable going higher speeds.

If you jump on it and take it up to 130+ you'll find the feeling of 70-90 MPH doesn't change. It's extremely planted, no wobble, no BS.
Can'tHave2MuchHP: I read it as the Pilot was "unsteady and edgy,"...not the Z. I dunno.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:45 PM   #6
BeachBum

Drives: 2012 (ZL-1) #468
I Too Love My ZL-1 - She's A 2012 And The Only Complaint I Have Is The Brake Dust On The Wheels - It's So Bad That I Do Not Think I'd Buy Another ZL-1 Or Any Camaro Again
Old 10-17-2017, 12:49 PM   #7
squids4daddy

Canthave, I wouldn't use the term "uncomfortable" so much as "aware of". Now it's entirely possible that it's entirely due to 2 hours driving in a car so utterly different from my last 14 years of driving. For me, today, the ZL1 forces FOCUS on the road, the machine, the traffic. So I am not finding myself at 98mph because I was simply lost in my head thinking about work.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:51 PM   #8
squids4daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONMAD510 View Post
Congrats on the new car. Eventually you are going to want more power once you get used to it. Then let the modding begin. A couple easy mods (CAI and pulley) in the beginning will net you a decent amount of power increase. Have fun with the new ride.
BTW, my car is a daily driver and I love it. Who cares about gas mileage.
Owned for less than 48hrs and already the 16 year old son is trying to talk me into custom headers, 5" intakes, etc.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:02 PM   #9
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum View Post
I Too Love My ZL-1 - She's A 2012 And The Only Complaint I Have Is The Brake Dust On The Wheels - It's So Bad That I Do Not Think I'd Buy Another ZL-1 Or Any Camaro Again
This is a joke, right? You realize the brake dust has NOTHING to do with it being a ZL1 or a Camaro. Big brakes make BIG dust. ANY performance car is going to do this (minus carbon ceramic rotors) so get used to it. If you want a performance car you are going to have "performance" brake dust.
jayno20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:32 PM   #10
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
You're kidding right?
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:04 PM   #11
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Enjoy the beast.

Congrats.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:29 PM   #12
zman1969

Drives: 1969 R/S Z28 302 m20 Endura
Quote:
brake pad composition has big factor in how much dust you get period try some ceramic pads if its too much to clean for you
that said he has to be joking
sorry to derail the thread, good upgrade from a Honda LOL other than both having 4 tires(wait till you buy them!) there very different vehicles
zman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:28 PM   #13
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Consider Powerstop Z26 pads. They make a huge difference in the brake dust and still offer great stopping power for the street.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:49 PM   #14
BeachBum

Drives: 2012 (ZL-1) #468
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
Consider Powerstop Z26 pads. They make a huge difference in the brake dust and still offer great stopping power for the street.
"Thank's" for the tip on brake pads - love the car just tired of cleaning wheels every time I go out - In all the years and makes of cars over the years this is the first one I've ever had with this much brake dust problem