Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-07-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
TwentyTen2SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
How to clean engine bay?

I am going without engine cover and wondering what the best way to clean the engine bay is?

Is this something you can do yourself or does GM dealers do this? Detail shop?

Any help is appreciated.
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:47 PM   #2
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
I just detailed my engine bay: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390747

All you need is some all purpose cleaner and a bristle brush of some sort. As you can see in my thread, I covered the air intake and alternator.

Use a low pressure on the hose and hose down the whole bay, apply APC all over, agitate with the brush, allow it to dwell and then hose off and dry. You can apply dressing if you wish to the black plastic, I decided not to.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:09 PM   #3
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Boars hair brush would be preferred.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:08 PM   #4
TwentyTen2SSRS

Boars hair brush? On from detailed image work okay? Or one specific CamaroDreams? And thanks JTruck going to go read your thread now
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
Old 01-29-2015, 11:30 PM   #5
TwentyTen2SSRS

I can spray down the v8 with engine cover off? Or more stuff need to be covered up then?
Old 01-30-2015, 09:06 AM   #6
JTruck

I would say you would be okay, but then again I am no expert when it comes to engines and water.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:18 AM   #7
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
This is what I did with my Impala SS prior to shows and have been doing this ever since to all of my vehicles at least once a month.
The engine must be relatively clean to begin with so a beginning wash with a degreaser would be in order, but after that initial, this will suit you just fine.
I learned this from a friend in Texas, Gary Grant.

Engine Cleaning/Detailing

1) On a hot/warm engine, spray the entire engine compartment down with Windex. Close the hood and wait @ 3-5 minutes.

2) Lift the hood and mist the engine compartment with water. Now spray the entire area with Armor All. Close the hood and again wait 3-5 minutes.

3) Repeat the Windex and Armor All application again. Now, after the second coat of Armor All, close up the engine compartment and wash and detail the exterior of your car.

4)When you are finished, open the hood and wipe down any excess Armor All.

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:30 AM   #8
JTruck

One thing I would NEVER do is work on a warm engine, let alone a hot one.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:46 AM   #9
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Ya learn something new every day. The heat and steam generated is how the grease and grime is cut without using a brush. Look up the name and look at how many new car forums this method has been used.

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:00 AM   #10
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
I just keep my engines clean from the original build date and never have to worry about steaming em. An occasional wipe down with some all purpose wipes and a bit of polish of the chrome with a micro cloth.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:06 AM   #11
TwentyTen2SSRS

What about the engine with no engine cover? Any issues here? Not sure about the hot engine working either. And windex and armor all mixture works Huh?

My engine isn't horrible bit just did a lot of cleaning up of wires, fuel rail flip etx and want to get it cleaned up again and not sure where to start
Old 01-30-2015, 10:21 AM   #12
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

You guys are quite interesting to talk to. The engine bay is a harsh environment and is splashed with cool or cold water based on your weather. Secondly, as long as you do not use high pressure directly on electronic components, the weatherpac connectors will do their job. I do not recommend the high pressure steam cleaning wands or pressure washers...just this hand bottle spray technique on all surfaces and light misting from a normal garden hose with household pressure.

It is a tried and true method that you will not be disappointed with the results if you follow the instructions.