Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 07-28-2011, 05:39 AM   #1
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Air Compressor Suggestion?

I am looking to pick up an air compressor this weekend/next week mostly at first for a finishing nail gun for redoing trim throughout my house. However, I do want a compressor to start using air tools in my garage, which I really miss using when I use to work in a shop 10 or so years ago.

Anyway, looking at the various options I'm not really sure what I really need for garage use. Toolswise, I am pretty pro-Makita and was looking at their compressors but I am not really sure what specs I should be looking at for air tools in the garage. The biggest specs appear to be the motor HP, max PSI, and cfm. But I am not really sure for garage tools, such as impact wrenches and whatnot, what is appropriate and making sure I have enough.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me on what specs I should be looking for/at?

Last edited by phenixdragon; 07-28-2011 at 05:49 AM.
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:47 AM   #2
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
Basically if you can carry it, It wont work efficiantly with air tools such as impact guns, wrenches, cut-off wheels. The little compressors just keep running and cant keep up. They will do ok with air guns for Home improvements and roofing cause your really not consistantly using high volume air. Had same problem. Went to lowes and bought a big upright.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:54 AM   #3
phenixdragon

Hm...well looking at Lowes it looks like they at least list the specs on the air tools they sell. Looking at a couple of impact wrenches it looks like I need at least 5 or 6 CFM @ 90 PSI so you are right about these portable ones. I was just hoping a smaller one would be enough for the garage.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
I ended up getting an upright Cambell hausfeld for like 3-4 I believe cant remember. Itll continuously hold 100 psi
Old 07-28-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
fshog

Drives: 2011 RS/2SS
The higher the CFM the better. PSI can be adjustable and usually is on most compressors, but look for something with a decent CFM rating. Not sure about the U.S., but a good one will run you around $1K. Air Tools! And Paint Guns suck up the volume and very quickly too....so one with a decent reserve tank is prefered, otherwise the compressor will run constantly and last a very short time.
fshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #6
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I have a 33 gal Craftsman that I got about 15 years ago - never had any problem and it supplies plenty of air for all my tools. Like phenixdragon says, you'll want at least 5 CFM @ 90 PSI for general purpose use, i.e. impact wrenches & framing nailers. And impact guns will need up to 120 PSI to loosen lug nuts.

The larger the tank, the longer they can go before the motor kicks back on, and the motors are very loud...

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:05 AM   #7
ABM/IOM

Drives: aqua blue ls and inferno orange ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenixdragon View Post
I am looking to pick up an air compressor this weekend/next week mostly at first for a finishing nail gun for redoing trim throughout my house. However, I do want a compressor to start using air tools in my garage, which I really miss using when I use to work in a shop 10 or so years ago.

Anyway, looking at the various options I'm not really sure what I really need for garage use. Toolswise, I am pretty pro-Makita and was looking at their compressors but I am not really sure what specs I should be looking at for air tools in the garage. The biggest specs appear to be the motor HP, max PSI, and cfm. But I am not really sure for garage tools, such as impact wrenches and whatnot, what is appropriate and making sure I have enough.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me on what specs I should be looking for/at?
I have a 4 gallon pancake compressor at home, which is great for nail guns, grease guns, and is o.k. for air ratchets and i can use an impact gun to take lugs off. Other than that it can't keep up with the cfm that runs through an air cut-off wheel, grinder or blow off tool. It would be better to get something that is at least a 40 gallon for use with anything you want to run on it.
ABM/IOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:51 AM   #8
SSNIGHTMARE

Drives: 2002 SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg_98ta View Post
I have a 33 gal Craftsman that I got about 15 years ago - never had any problem and it supplies plenty of air for all my tools. Like phenixdragon says, you'll want at least 5 CFM @ 90 PSI for general purpose use, i.e. impact wrenches & framing nailers. And impact guns will need up to 120 PSI to loosen lug nuts.

The larger the tank, the longer they can go before the motor kicks back on, and the motors are very loud...
x2 I have a similar set up that works well for all the non-continuous running tools. If u r looking to run da's, sanders, sand blasters u need to look into a larger volume unit with a motor rated for continuous duty.
02 SS, STOCK, THE SLO HO
08 CTS, POS
EFI Live
"Nitrous is like a hot girl with STD's, you know you wanna hit it but you're afraid of the consequences!"

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."

--Samuel Adams
SSNIGHTMARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #9
phenixdragon

Thanks for the info. Looks like both Home Depot and Lowes sells one of the cheaper brand compressors (Husky and Kobalt) that include a 60 gal tank, 10+ CFM @ 90 PSI for under <$475. Plus using 10% coupons, using tax ID making it tax free, and maybe some other discounts like when it goes on sale might bring it all down to $350. NOt too bad even if it only lasts me a couple of years. I really miss using air tools. Makes things easier, quicker, and I would say even safer as in less likely for things such as stripping a bolt.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #10
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenixdragon View Post

A suggestion on the Finish Nail gun. I have an angled Dewalt 18v battery ( ONLY) powered Finish Nail gun. It works extremely well for trimming, you do not have to worry about dragging hoses through a house during a finish job. Has enough power to nail up Oak trim.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #11
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
A lot of Eaton product is made in USA...
http://www.eatoncompressor.com/page/page/504413.htm