Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 08-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #29
ABMLS3

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Camaro 2SS/RS
SS

Power Source Performance Turbo Kit

416 C.I ,TH400
Instagram: TomTraube
COTW ABMLS3 Build Thread
ABMLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #30
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
OK...so I'll try to be more constructive this time. I guess I just don't really understand why so many people are willing to lose thousands on buying a V6 and then trading to a V8 as soon as they can. Surely some of you out there must agree with me??

I bought a V6 when I could have gotten an SS as well, so sorry that my comment sounded like I assumed you couldn't afford it. I really wasn't assuming anything.

So...what are your goals with the car? Are you more of a show or go type of person? Maybe equal amounts of both?

You need to stop and just be real with yourself. Could you be happy with a modded V6 that will be a quick car, or do you really need/crave something with over 400 HP and a deep V8 growl? Only you can answer that.

I for one am very happy with my modded V6. It has crisp, strong acceleration. The sound is mostly satisfying to me b/c of the exhaust, and due to my cosmetic mods I think I have one of the better looking Camaros around. (small city...so not a ton of competition lol).

If you do 1/4 mile racing with a decently modded V6 you can expect mid 13s to low 14s depending on what kind of mods you do. Better than that will require going further than the typical weekend warrior who may have full bolt ons and just some street compatible track tires in the rear. I think they are still figuring out tuning compatibility with the 2013 models but forced induction can typically get you nicely into the 12s, or low 13s if your suspension/tires aren't set up for dragging. From a roll these FI V6s can typically pull on a stock or moderate bolt on SS.

If none of that sounds especially appealing, or just not enough, then its obvious you want that SS. In that case, I suggest doing pretty much nothing to your V6, and save up for a nice down payment.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #31
itsjustdave
David A.

Drives: 2012 LS AGM/ '13 2SS/RS Vert SW
Talking

Do what wife and I did, get 1 of each.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #32
My45thAnniversaryCamaro

Drives: 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustdave View Post
Jerk haha
My45thAnniversaryCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #33
RoadieWingZ

Drives: 2013 Black Camaro 1LS
If you're sure you want the V8, then skip the mods and save your money toward the V8. You'll lose your shirt on the V6 upgrades at trade or sale time so better to stockpile the cash until you're ready. Stock V6 has some kick as you already know so work with that until the time is right to get your new V8....IMHO

2013 Camaro LS
RoadieWingZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #34
john2012camaroSS

Drives: 2012 Black SS
If you are serious about trading up for an SS In only a year you will be throwing that mod money away. Those blood sucking leeches at the dealership won't give you a dime extra so leave it stock.
john2012camaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #35
nfl46

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
Personally, I would keep the V6 now and WAIT for the 6th generation Camaros. In two years, your credit situation should be more than fixed. You may feel bad waiting until next year for a 2015 SS, when the 2016 SS comes out with an completely upgraded design that leaves you jealous of them. Be smart. Be patient.
nfl46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:49 PM   #36
Srm1135

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
Personally, I would keep the V6 now and WAIT for the 6th generation Camaros. In two years, your credit situation should be more than fixed. You may feel bad waiting until next year for a 2015 SS, when the 2016 SS comes out with an completely upgraded design that leaves you jealous of them. Be smart. Be patient.
That is the best idea I have heard so far. Thank you for helping me make my decision. Two years it is for the 6th generation. Again, thank you.
Srm1135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:14 AM   #37
SeaCompiler
...not a marine biologist

Drives: 2012 Camaro RY SS LS3
I spent a lot of money on mods on a previous v6 4th gen and was never really satisfied with power or sound. That was my deciding factor when getting an SS this time. I test drove a v6 5th gen just to test its impressive 320 hp, but knew I would never be satisfied again.
Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
"The Great Awakening" on gab.com
SeaCompiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:19 AM   #38
SeaCompiler
...not a marine biologist

Drives: 2012 Camaro RY SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustdave View Post
My wife and I did the same when we had the 4th gens. Mine was white(manual), hers was gray(automatic). She isn't as attracted to the 5th gen.
Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
"The Great Awakening" on gab.com
SeaCompiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:23 AM   #39
FLGator75
Don't Tread on me!

Drives: 2017 Yellow Camaro RS/V-6.
Send a message via ICQ to FLGator75 Send a message via AIM to FLGator75 Send a message via Yahoo to FLGator75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srm1135 View Post
The car I wanted was a Corvette. That was till I drove the Camaro and realized how important a back seat is and a modest sized trunk. After owning five Mustangs, all GT's I'm now a Camaro guy for life. V6 or V8 as long as its Chevy.
FLGator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:35 AM   #40
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
When getting my 12' 1LT V6 A6 i had no intention on modding it at all. Not long after getting it i started modding it with C.A.I, MRT2 exhaust and some cosmetic parts etc. I was seriously considering super charging it.

My mistake was going to a local 5th gen. meet and seeing some kick ass super charged and turbo charged SS's. Needless to say 1 week later i traded my 1LT to my 1SS M6.

I took all off my mods and put it back to stock. I either put the mods (mostly cosmetics) onto my 1SS or sold them here on this forum.

As much as i wanted to mod out my LT i knew in my heart i really wanted the SS. I just love the sound of my Borla exhaust on the SS. I lost some money trading in my LT for an SS but that's how it goes. I don't regret trading for the SS.
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:47 AM   #41
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I modded the V6 while I had it. It was fun and I learned a lot, but I would have been better off saving all that mod money for the SS.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:53 AM   #42
Srm1135

Drives: 2013 Camaro
I just want to be in the mid 13's at the track. That's all for now. The twelves can come in two years
Srm1135 is offline   Reply With Quote