Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-23-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
Silver Surfer

Drives: 2LT/RS SIM
What is the BEST way to wash your car in WINTER??

ok, so it looks like im looking at a mid-later Oct. delivery. Just realized that i wont be getting any sunny driving weather out of it till next year.

So i was thinking how am i going to wash it during the Winter?? Cant really hand wash it, i live in Tx i doesnt get that cold, but i still dont want to go outside and play with water in the Winter. All the car washing places are closed, and PLUS I WOULD NEVER LET SOMEONE ELSE PUT THEIR HANDS ON IT..

So i guess im asking yall what it the BEST way to wash it during the winter..

1100, Preliminary order accepted May 26
2000, Order accepted by GM Sept 3
3000, Order accepted by production control Sept 12
3300, Order scheduled for production TPW 9/28
3400, Order broadcast Sept 25
3800, Order produced Oct 2
4200, Shipped Oct 2
5000, Delivered to the dealer Oct 20
6000, Delivered to the owner Oct 20
Silver Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Surfer View Post
ok, so it looks like im looking at a mid-later Oct. delivery. Just realized that i wont be getting any sunny driving weather out of it till next year.

So i was thinking how am i going to wash it during the Winter?? Cant really hand wash it, i live in Tx i doesnt get that cold, but i still dont want to go outside and play with water in the Winter. All the car washing places are closed, and PLUS I WOULD NEVER LET SOMEONE ELSE PUT THEIR HANDS ON IT..

So i guess im asking yall what it the BEST way to wash it during the winter..
I just returned from Texas! Went to see the Cowboys in their new stadium. It doesn't get THAT cold in Texas!!!

My first thought was to visit a car wash with bays, where you could pull in, and wash by hand, using your own supplies.

I wash mine here in the North East during the winter...I wash it, then get it inside the garage asap to finish. Do you have a garage available?

A BIG help in keeping your car clean during the winter is to get protection on it as soon as you get the car. A good coat of wax/polish will be a huge help in keeping your car clean.

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
Silver Surfer

Yes, i can put it in the garage.. i just didnt know what the best way to wash it was.. i would rather wash it by hand, then take it to the car wash with bays..

But you said that u wash it by hand then hurry up and put it in the garage.. yea, i can do that

4200, Shipped Oct 2
Old 09-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
There are always those warm days in between, Your blessed in Texas, I have lived and worked in the northern states where a day above 32 would be your choice. Rubber gloves were a must, I am pleased to live in the south again for sure.

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
even the calendar reads...
W T F
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #5
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Surfer View Post
Yes, i can put it in the garage.. i just didnt know what the best way to wash it was.. i would rather wash it by hand, then take it to the car wash with bays..

But you said that u wash it by hand then hurry up and put it in the garage.. yea, i can do that
By all means, wash by hand. The only reason I mentioned going to a car wash was to be able to pull into a bay, and stay out of the elements while washing, by hand.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
BB_Yellow2010

Drives: 2010 2SS RS L99 Rally Yellow
Hey man, I live in Louisiana, and Texas weather is pretty much the same. Just wash it like you would in the summer time, just pick a warmer winter day, you know we have em! And if you absolutely have to wash it when its really cold, just fill your bucket with warm water, thats what I do, its alot better on your hands.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Shorts, flipflops and a wife beater - only way to wash the car. jK

I live in west TX and the winters here are dry cold and windy. I don't have a garage so I'll be bundled up, in rubber gloves, and in a drive in bay =/.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
boreas

Drives: 2LT/RS TFE yeah!
I will be using mine in the deep, dark, cold Québec winters. We're talking 5 feet of snow all around, minus 20 celcius (minus 4 F), salt, grit...

Fortunately, I have a heated garage to wash it. But my question is: should I rinse the car every night when I come back home, or is once a week enough?

Phil
boreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
Chris@glimmerglass

Drives: 2001 S10, 2002 M3
Send a message via AIM to Chris@glimmerglass
optimum no rinse! No doubt, this stuff is amazing. I'll post up some pics of it in use on my M3 over the winter. Truly amazing stuff!
Old 09-24-2009, 07:29 PM   #10
OBSSEST

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS, Black
I still hand wash in winter, even if I am not going to dry, just to keep the road grime (salt, sand, etc.) from building up. I generally fill the bucket with warm water from the bath tub and it saves from freezing fingers.
OBSSEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:08 PM   #11
Chris@glimmerglass

Drives: 2001 S10, 2002 M3
Send a message via AIM to Chris@glimmerglass
Ok, here are the pictures, as promised.

Now, this was a bit of an extreme example. I wouldn't recommend letting the vehicle get this bad each time. I just did it to show that its possible

For those that arent familiar, the product that was used here is Optimum No Rinse. It is a hoseless wash, meaning that you only need your 5 gallon bucket, a few ounces of ONR in the bucket along w/ some water, a grit guard (highly recommended) and your wash mitt(s). Although you can use a microfiber towel, my preference is a lambswool mitt since they tend to hold more water.
Now, you can also mix a little bit in a spray bottle and prespray a panel beforehand but its not necessary.

As mentioned, you dont need a hose. You can simply start by washing your first panel w/ the ONR mixture, rinse it out in the bucket and move on to your next panel. This stuff is a life saver for winter washes and those who live in areas where they dont have access to a hose (ie: apartment complexes, etc). ONR isn't reserved for winter only. I cant even begin to count how many customers use it as their regular wash product (my personal preference during warm months is still a traditional wash though).

Anyway, heres some pics. Enjoy

Old 09-25-2009, 09:21 AM   #12
Silver Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@glimmerglass View Post
Ok, here are the pictures, as promised.

Now, this was a bit of an extreme example. I wouldn't recommend letting the vehicle get this bad each time. I just did it to show that its possible

For those that arent familiar, the product that was used here is Optimum No Rinse. It is a hoseless wash, meaning that you only need your 5 gallon bucket, a few ounces of ONR in the bucket along w/ some water, a grit guard (highly recommended) and your wash mitt(s). Although you can use a microfiber towel, my preference is a lambswool mitt since they tend to hold more water.
Now, you can also mix a little bit in a spray bottle and prespray a panel beforehand but its not necessary.

As mentioned, you dont need a hose. You can simply start by washing your first panel w/ the ONR mixture, rinse it out in the bucket and move on to your next panel. This stuff is a life saver for winter washes and those who live in areas where they dont have access to a hose (ie: apartment complexes, etc). ONR isn't reserved for winter only. I cant even begin to count how many customers use it as their regular wash product (my personal preference during warm months is still a traditional wash though).

Anyway, heres some pics. Enjoy

Looks Good.. BMW man huh, thats next on my list..

4200, Shipped Oct 2
Old 09-25-2009, 09:24 AM   #13
Silver Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanandGreen View Post
I still hand wash in winter, even if I am not going to dry, just to keep the road grime (salt, sand, etc.) from building up. I generally fill the bucket with warm water from the bath tub and it saves from freezing fingers.
Yeah.. see thats the main reason i was asking.. i know the salt and sand build up can be harmful for the paint.. so i wanted to know how you would keep it off during the winter.

4200, Shipped Oct 2
Old 09-25-2009, 10:38 AM   #14
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Wow not bad. I love doing the traditional hand washing routine in the summer, but this would kick ace in the winter. Thanks.