Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 08-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #43
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
After installing the kit with 30,000 miles on my car already, I have put an additional turbocharged 14,000 hard miles of highway and city driving with at least 50 miles a day and a few 3-600 mile road trips on weekends. Also my turbo camaro still has no natural wear and tear issues (other than the worn stock brake pads!). My kit is an ametuer one-off diy build so the professionally built systems (RX,IPS,STS) are sure to last for a very very long time!
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #44
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt_killa View Post
After installing the kit with 30,000 miles on my car already, I have put an additional turbocharged 14,000 hard miles of highway and city driving with at least 50 miles a day and a few 3-600 mile road trips on weekends. Also my turbo camaro still has no natural wear and tear issues (other than the worn stock brake pads!). My kit is an ametuer one-off diy build so the professionally built systems (RX,IPS,STS) are sure to last for a very very long time!
That's great Killa! I'd been wondering you your setup was doing. Any chance you'll be taking it to the track?
Old 08-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #45
xpanda305x
Banned

Drives: Dark Knight
Pt.killa would you mind sending me the list of parts and such that you are using? i might wanna try doing this.
xpanda305x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #46
xpanda305x
Banned

Drives: Dark Knight
maybe we can have a race between my camaro vs Gretch!! lmfaoo
xpanda305x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #47
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpanda305x View Post
maybe we can have a race between my camaro vs Gretch!! lmfaoo
That would be cool! Hope a lot of us can make it to Camaro Fest next year and show what we can do. We've not got several with N2O either installed or in the works, a few with turbos and now an E85 beast. It is shaping up to be a very interesting Fall.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #48
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01TtopRS View Post
Not being close minded because i drive a 01 v6 as a DD to save gas but i believe what he may have meant even though it came as an insult is like flopjack stated the v6 is a better DD and gets better mpgs why mod it and decrease the fuel mileage and have perform maintenance more often? i understand that with turbos you can still achieve higher horsepower without sacrificing mpgs. but lets be honest the manufacturers design these cars for longevity. that being said yes you can turbo the car and it may last a while and preform well as a DD and play toy but it will NEVER last as long as a well maintaned all stock vehicle.
Why is that?
Old 08-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #49
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
I don't thinking modding really hurt MPG's anyway. I get around 23 mpg with the a/c and turbo isn't going to hurt the MPG's so I don't understand the argument. Plus it would be so boring to NOT mod.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #50
Pt_killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpanda305x View Post
Pt.killa would you mind sending me the list of parts and such that you are using? i might wanna try doing this.
The list is here on my build page post 10(you need microsoft excel): http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143029

These are the exact parts I used but I recommend a bigger turbo with a larger turbine wheel if your going for big power like gretchen or ips. Even still, with my small turbo I was able to get up to 175mph leaving 5th fairly quickly, I'm sure I could get up to 200mph by the end of 6th(Not on public roads of course). Xpanda if you do pursue, let us know how it goes!
Old 08-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #51
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Well on the bright side, our engines have a forged steel crank and sinter forged steel rods from the factory.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #52
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Only weak points I see for going more boost are the pistons (am doing custom Mahle dished for Gretchen) and the rod bolts/head bolts (ARP for Gretchen). Also going with Hbeam rods even though the OEM ones appear plenty strong.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #53
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopjack View Post
Lets be honest, the V6 is the better daily car. Its lighter, handles better, gets better fuel economy and the same kind of power that the last generation V8 was producing, and on top of that it's better looking because it doesn't have the silly mail slot and has a lower grille that is simply sleeker.

If you're taking your car to the track or the strip...then the SS is the only way to go. But those who have made a more educated decision for their daily driver than you would prefer you please keep your ignorant comments to yourself.
What is that based off of, that fact that it has looser suspension? Chevy isn't going to give an Economy Camaro the same suspension as a Performance Camaro. They are going to make it loose because most people buying the V6 are buying it for that exact reason, a daily driver. Handling is not better in a V6 Camaro it is simply more comfortable compared to the stiff suspension on the SS

Looks are also subjective and I was on the verge of buying the V6 but decided to look at financing a SS just due to the Fasica on the V6. There is absolutely no reason I should have wasted money on a car that looks unappealing to me. I'm not uneducated because of it and saying that V8 owners are uneducated in their decision to use them as daily drivers is ignorant in itself. and one more thing there is NO 2011 CAMARO RS you either have a Camaro 1LS/2LS or 1LT/2LT. It's called the RS Package for a reason. You really shouldn't be calling other people ignorant or uneducated if you don't even know what the heck you drive.

I do however agree that his comment was not one that a Forum Sponsor should be stating out right on a post there are times and places for people to voice their opinions and this is not one of them.
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #54
Beauwulf

Drives: '10 LT RS A6 & '04 Acura RSX Type S
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
What is that based off of, that fact that it has looser suspension? Chevy isn't going to give an Economy Camaro the same suspension as a Performance Camaro. They are going to make it loose because most people buying the V6 are buying it for that exact reason, a daily driver. Handling is not better in a V6 Camaro it is simply more comfortable compared to the stiff suspension on the SS

Looks are also subjective and I was on the verge of buying the V6 but decided to look at financing a SS just due to the Fasica on the V6. There is absolutely no reason I should have wasted money on a car that looks unappealing to me. I'm not uneducated because of it and saying that V8 owners are uneducated in their decision to use them as daily drivers is ignorant in itself. and one more thing there is NO 2011 CAMARO RS you either have a Camaro 1LS/2LS or 1LT/2LT. It's called the RS Package for a reason. You really shouldn't be calling other people ignorant or uneducated if you don't even know what the heck you drive.

I do however agree that his comment was not one that a Forum Sponsor should be stating out right on a post there are times and places for people to voice their opinions and this is not one of them.
Well, neither of these comments have anything to do with this topic so... take it to the lounge please!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #55
Pt_killa

This may be my last update on this thread as it seems longevity has already been proven but I am now at 20,000 daily driven miles (April to Sept 2011) on my turbo setup. No extra maintaince was needed during those 20,000 miles, spark plugs are still good, all intercooler piping and couplers, oil lines, and vacuum hoses are in good condition from visual inspection. Last week I accumulated 2,500 miles in a road trip from Virginia to Florida while beating on the car the whole way. I traveled 800 miles in one day which is the longest I've ever driven the car in one day and there were no problems whatsoever.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #56
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt_killa View Post
This may be my last update on this thread as it seems longevity has already been proven but I am now at 20,000 daily driven miles (April to Sept 2011) on my turbo setup. No extra maintaince was needed during those 20,000 miles, spark plugs are still good, all intercooler piping and couplers, oil lines, and vacuum hoses are in good condition from visual inspection. Last week I accumulated 2,500 miles in a road trip from Virginia to Florida while beating on the car the whole way. I traveled 800 miles in one day which is the longest I've ever driven the car in one day and there were no problems whatsoever.