Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
Gi0vanni2ss

Drives: 2010 2ss Camaro
Smile Recommended Brand for upgraded control arms?

(2010- ss)

Hotchkis- Sway bars, end links, 1 Inch drop is complete. feels Great! Now starts the hunt for Upgraded Control Arms!!

looking for good handling improvement from factory and possibly some weight reduction in the arms.

Advice, Recommendations, Favorite brands or models?..Opinions....ANYTHING!

I love the feedback I get from Camaro5!!!
Gi0vanni2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
BMR
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #3
Gi0vanni2ss

how do those feel?
Old 03-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #4
jrhagen
Banned

Didn't have any other options to fit 17" wheels on back. So, I guess they feel fine.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:52 AM   #5
Gi0vanni2ss

well dang...not exactly the feedback i was looking for -_-

trying to see the best way to go for street driving, weight reduction and eating some hard turns like nothing!
Old 03-24-2014, 10:57 AM   #6
jrhagen
Banned

The factory suspension components are crap, everybody knows that.
Call BMR and tell the tech adviser what you are looking to get out of your car and let them make recommendations.
I personally would recommend bushes, trailing arms and lower control arms at a minimum.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:08 AM   #7
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
Spohn Performance also makes them.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #8
Gi0vanni2ss

great!! thank you
Old 03-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #9
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
IMO you're not going to loose a ton of weight with an aftermarket arm swap. So unless you need the clearance or you're trying to shave every pound you can I would suggest you look at just upgrading to the stock FE4 arms which will mean an FE4 swaybar upgrade. Like mentioned above it's really all depends on what you're trying to do with the car.

Obviously if you call BMR or Sphon they are going to suggest their product over stock. In addition to the people like BMR, you should call someone like JDP Motorsports who sells everything from OEM stuff to BMR to DSE. Tell them what you're wanting to do and see what their suggestion is. They are going to be more of an unbiased vendor versus calling the Mfg directly but getting suggestions and info from everyone is only going to help you make a more informed decision.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #10
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
My suggestion is to stick with the factory lower control arm and add and endlink tab brace since I am assuming you already have new FE3 style sway bars. Like caverman said, unless you are looking for more clearance or swapping for an FE4 sway bar upgrade, you really won't see much benefit.

Your money would be better spent on trailing arms, toe rods, upper control arm bushings and cradle bushings.

Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:34 PM   #11
Synner

Drives: cars
A control arm will be heavier and not provide an increase in handling. You're looking in the wrong place for a handling improvement.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:33 PM   #12
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
The factory suspension components are crap, everybody knows that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
IMO you're not going to loose a ton of weight with an aftermarket arm swap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tyler View Post
My suggestion is to stick with the factory lower control arm and add and endlink tab brace since I am assuming you already have new FE3 style sway bars. Like caverman said, unless you are looking for more clearance or swapping for an FE4 sway bar upgrade, you really won't see much benefit.

Your money would be better spent on trailing arms, toe rods, upper control arm bushings and cradle bushings.
I agree with all of this!!! Good advice in here. BMR components are purpose built with strength and rigidity in mind, which we believe is more important than shaving a few ounces here and there. There are more efficient places to work on saving weight, suspension is not the place to compromise.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #13
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Drives: '14 2SS Yelo Maro, HD collection
My BMR rear trailing arms (with the poly bushings also on the outer side) makes the car fell more "in touch" with the road. Start-stop traffic makes you notice that things are not moving around so much out back anymore. I love them. Standard BMR toe rods to be installed with my LG subframe connectors.