Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-19-2017, 12:43 PM   #1
LucasBest
Lucas

Drives: 2014 LS
Pac Audio Kit with SiriusXM

I've gotten to the point where I really want to do an aftermarket head unit in my 2014 ls but I've hesitated for a while since the reviews for the scoche and alpine dash kits are so bad.

I just recently learned about the pac audio dash kit (I know I'm behind the times) and really like the look of it. There are just a couple of questions that I can't seem to find answers to and was hoping someone who had installed the pac kit might know.

For more context I'm looking at the Pioneer AVH-2300NEX for the head unit.

My #1 question about the pac kit is can I maintain XM radio? The Pioneer site says that head unit is compatible with XM but if you go to the Pac Audio site it explicitly says it "Does not retain factory satellite radio" Does that just mean I can't change the XM channel from the steering wheel?

Secondly, assuming I CAN retain XM radio, how difficult/possible is it to use the factory antenna for XM?

And lastly, does anyone have any pictures/videos of the pac audio system working with OnStar/SW controls/XM radio etc? I don't want to compromise any stock features and any hard evidence would definitely make me feel better before starting an install.

Thanks a lot for any advice!
LucasBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:40 PM   #2
AFA93

Drives: '14 Silver 2SS/RS
I recently put a Pac Audio kit in my 2010 2SS/RS. The Pac Audio harness doesn't do anything to retain the stock XM. You would need to get a XM-ready head unit. After searching Crutchfield, Amazon, etc. looking for the head unit and XM antenna, I finally decided to just go with a more value priced head unit without XM (Sony AX100), and downloaded the XM app and stream via bluetooth to the new head unit. I have another XM ready and added the app to that radio for $5/month, and turned off the stock XM radio. When I called (because you cannot do it online) to cancel the stock XM radio, they said something about getting the app. Maybe you can get the app without another XM radio head unit?

Anyway, this isn't exactly what you asked, but just an option to consider. I decided on this route because you can take XM out of the car and technically it has a higher quality sound since it's not as compressed coming from a sat (let alone stop working without line of sight to a sat under a roof, etc.).

The Pac Audio unit does control the steering wheel with the talk/hand up buttons configured for OnStar by default. I imagine if XM is a function of your head unit then you will be able to change the station through the steering wheel (I change my through my app). FYI, you can re-program those talk buttons on the steering wheel to signal Siri or Google (if it's a Apple Carplay or Android Auto capability), but you'll need to buy a separate Pac Audio interface port cable to program their harness. Then you could continue to use the OnStar buttons on your rearview mirror for those calls.

FYI, the Pac Audio kit comes with the harness for the temperature/lock/hazard controls. It also comes with an RCA input for the new head unit to retain the Aux in (which I didn't have on my new Sony unit, again I stream everything from my phone), USB in and camera in (for MyLink systems). There's two inputs (amplified and non) for the aftermarket wiring harness on the Pac Audio. Even though the Boston Acoustics Premium system has an amp in the trunk, if you plug it in the amplified port it will sound under powered. If you have an external (non-BA) amp that is probably be the right port, but I switch my to the non-amplified and it was so much louder. Overall, I like the look of the Pac Audio (over the others) and it wasn't too hard to install.
AFA93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:21 PM   #3
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Its true that the PAC Audio kit doesn't retain the factory XM radio, you can buy and connect the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner to the AVH-2300NEX. You can use the supplied antenna, just mount it under the center grille next to the center channel speaker. I also think there are adapter cables to allow connecting the factory XM antenna to the aftermarket tuner.

Tags
dash, kit, pac audio, siriusxm